1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surface water drainage system questions?

Discussion in 'General' started by ACDNate, May 11, 2014.

1. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Based on what I'm seeing at my house, I would avoid corrugated pipe at all costs. I have two separate runs that are each clogged and collapsed...both were installed within the last 10yrs

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Going to be difficult on to keep the runs straight and get the catch basins where needed, at least the ones that will be close to the house.

3. ACDNate

Borrowed a laser level to shoot the grade today. Wow the laser gadgets are super easy to use compared to the two man sight level.

Anyway, i started at the front of the house and worked my way back to the pond.

From the front of the house(far right in image below) to the back of the house I have a pretty good drop giving just under 6% grade.

From the house back to approx 20' beyond the coming shop building the grade carries at least 1.65% up to 2.2%

From 15' east of the pond to the pond there is a bit of a rise.

All that being said, from the back of the house to where i'll outlet it in the pond I will have an overall slope of 1.67%.

I'm reading that with solid wall pipe 1% minimum slope is needed. Can anyone confirm this?

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It sounds like your lot should flow pretty well on it's own. Can you re-grade the areas that don't slope so well? Might be easier to grade a couple spots than bury all that piping.

5. ACDNate

Not going to work with the new drive to the bldg. Makes for a pretty good damn. Also the steeper all slope from the front of the house back is washing the crushed concrete drive out some.

Another issue that i'll be addressing when I extend the pond is I've got long ruts across the back yard that make mowing a pita. I'll cut my mow time down 30% once its smoothed out.

Last edited: May 13, 2014