1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surcharge for smokers

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by lee955i, Nov 22, 2006.

1. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

So, the place I work at has introduced a surcharge on their health insurance (no doubt in an effort to lower rates from their carrier) for smokers. $100 per month:wow: Test required.
    Your thoughts? Personally, I don't think it's fair unless they hit everyone who drinks, etc.
    Cheers, Lee S.

2. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

There's a reason that's in place...and I'm sure the statistics will show how many more health issues arise from smoking than from drinking...

3. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Pay to play

In this case, pay to smell....really aweful.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Why should the healthy people pay subsidies to unhealthy people? I think smokers should pay more, adn probalby fat people too.

(man, I'm screwed)

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Do they do the same thing for those who race motorcycles? Ride motorcycles? Overweight?

Boy, their insurance carrier could save lots of money. :D

6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I don't disagree with smokers being required to pay more for health insurance. There are plenty of examples to show why smokers are more prone to health issues, but $100 a month? That's price-gouging, in a serious way.:down:

7. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Why dont they have a surcharge for ANY risky activity? Eat a cheeseburger, throw a $10 in the bucket, have a beer, that will be a $20. This is quite a can of worms your company is opening.

8. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Where's the ACLU on this one?

9. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

You are right.

In fact, they should not have access to standard rates at all.

Surcharge for high risk is standard ops (see car insurance)

10. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Probably suing the cigarette corps to get more money for

their cigarette smoking staff of liars, err laywers.

"Stop global warming" puff puff, shout shout.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's not that different than charging higher premiums to people who have points on their drivers license.

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

AMA fought this one to standstill when companies wanted to either deny health insurance coverage, reduce coverage or charge a premium for motorcycle riders.
    Butt that's different, right?

13. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

What about a surcharge for racing motorcycles? Gotta be a higher likelyhood of health costs associated with that activity.
    Steve

14. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

It's a pretty standard practice. I work for the state of GA and they've done it for the last two years. Although our surcharge is only $40 per month. Kind of makes you think about smoking, I mean if you smoke a pack a day and add in the surcharge it's costing you $1400 a year. :eek:

They also charge a monthly surcharge if your spouse is offered health insurance at their company and you carry them on your insurance. I have more of an issue with that than the smoking thing. My fiance and I both have BC/BS so why does it matter who's policy were on? BC/BS is going to pay for it regardless, why should I have to pay extra to actually save them from all the paperwork and hassle of having two seperate policies? :confused:

FWIW, her company charges a tobacco surcharge as well.

15. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Now that DOES suck! I worked for a smaller company a few years ago, and we were persuaded to have our spouses on their own insurance, if the option was available.

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

100/month = 1200/year

1200/year x 20 years = 24000

So if you smoke from age 20 to 40, and at age 40 have a stint in the hospital from smoking related things, you've payed 24K into it.

24K is nothing in a hospital, especially if you stay a couple days or go under the knife

That's like me going and buying ducktape for a trackday.

17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

No, it's just the smokers who pay.
    The thing is, where does it end. Obesity and who defines it, someones great uncle died of a heart attack so you're a greater risk so here's a surcharge, you don't smoke, but you chew once in a while, nope, pay us more, whattaya mean you own a mountain bike and ride it offroad, nope, can't do that, etc, etc.
    Bullshit, really, and, no, it doesn't affect me as i'm on the wifes' ins. :D
    Cheers, Lee S.

18. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

I think he was stating that if there wasn't a smoker's charge, that technically everyone (non-smokers included) would have to pay higher premiums to cover their med. expenses. Not sure, but I think that's the direction he was going.

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Damn! 24K!

That 24K wouldn't even begin to cover a highside with a few broken bones, would it?

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

AMA fought this one to standstill when companies wanted to either deny health insurance coverage, reduce coverage or charge a premium for motorcycle riders.
    Butt that's different, right?