1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superstock vs. Superbike for Dedicated Track Bike?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Squidoh, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Squidoh

Squidoh Member

Hey guys,

Looking to get a dedicated track-only bike to haul in a van and get my license next season. I was taking a look at the WERA Rulebook, and I noticed the very strict restrictions on Superstock Class machines. So I was wondering; is building a bike to Superstock spec preferable, so you can race up a class and get more time in?

Or are the extra lenience in modifications that comes with the Superbike class worth the restriction (i.e. not being able to race down a class)?

Wondering if I should grab a stock 600cc, a built 600cc, or go ahead with a 1000cc machine for unrestricted classes. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Superbike means you're gonna spend more money, race less, and it's not going to make you any faster.

600 gives you even more track time. I hate seeing yellow plates on 1000s

badmoon692008 and ducnut like this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Superstock SV650 or even one of the 250/300/400 bikes. You will learn more and spend less on tires.

If you want to run a 600 that is fine too, but run Superstock. The #1 thing that will make you faster is track time, so don't limit yourself by having a Superbike. Buy one already built to SSTK spec. Note some CCS bikes will be built to their Supersport rules are a bit more open than WERA. Depending on what has been changed or removed it might not be cheap to put it back to SSTK spec.

5axis and ducnut like this.
  4. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

There's so many classes to run whatever you want, go with what motivates you and will give you the most fun...and fits in your budget. Like mentioned, Superbike usually pertains to the bike having more expensive parts and specialized/one-off stuff, so it's going to cost more to keep it running and to repair. And with more power, comes more tire wear. Tires get expensive.

I started racing on a ZX-10R, and over the years have tried a bike for almost every class WERA has. Personally, racing a superstock R3 is the most fun per dollar I've found yet, but it's a bit crazy with track-days when you're out there with 600s and 1000s. Once you're up to a fast expert pace on the R3, you can keep up decently on lap times with a lot of people on bigger bikes, but straightaways are pretty intense as 3 Panigales blow past carrying 70mph more than you and then you have to weave back through them as they lay on the brakes crazy early.

After years of trying to find the fastest bike possible, I truly would only focus on what makes it fun for you, race classes be damned. Unless you're a young person trying to become a pro one-day. If that's the case, pick yourself up a R3 or SV650 superstock bike, and start signing up for some schools. If you're just out to have some fun, and a Superbike 1000 fits you're mood and budget, then right on, hop on it.

Dave250, 2001chromo, Squidoh and 2 others like this.
  5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Superstock and race both classes.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

buying a stock bike and building it for the track will be very expensive. you could save thousands buying pre-built, which will get you a lot of tires and race entries later on.

7. Ben Gooding

Ben Gooding Well-Known Member

Ultra LightWeight Bike(ULWB) Yammi R3, or Ninja400. If the classes only allow 3hundies to race other 3hundies, R3 is the answer over the Ninja300. If the Kawi 400 is allowed in that class, it's the one to have. Try to find a track/race one or one cheap enough to modify suspension. The weakest link on the ultralight bikes is the suspension. OEM on the R3 is the worst one ever created in the history of mankind. It's worse than the SV650 stuff! Manny Poulis from the Austin area on FB, buys and sells many of those bikes at all certain levels of builds and non-built bikes. Tell him that I sent you! He supplies and has supplied many to the CMRA.

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Superstock allowances are actually pretty generous. For a first-time racer, I'd be surprised if you could take advantage of the performance advantages of a superbike over a superstock machine (not saying that to be offensive).

Buying a pre-built bike is inordinately less expensive than building one from stock. I just built a brand-new super-stock legal ZX-6R, and I spent way more than I should have doing it.

stangmx13 makes a good point: you'd end up negating the cost-savings of going with a superstock bike if you were to build one rather than buying a pre-built superbike.

By the way: I am referring to 'superstock' and 'superbike' as levels of build and not referring to 600s versus 1000s. This is the exact language that WERA uses in the rulebook. I assume you're doing the same, but after rereading your post, you might be referring to superstocks as 600s and superbikes as 1000s. Can you clarify? Whatever the case, I'd recommend racing a 600 superstock bike. You can race in A, B, and C superstock and superbike classes with that bike. You'd primarily be racing against 600s in B and C; you'd be racing up against 1000s in A.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

IMO... 2 races a day is not enough. 3 races is a nice race day, a good balance. 4 races is a workout. 5 races is a struggle. IIRC, most SBKs of any displacement are limited to 2 races if u are under 40yrs old.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To start - simpler is always better. Less mods to the bike is less stuff to worry about. Less stuff to worry about on the bike is more time to work on riding.

11. Squidoh

Squidoh Member

Nope, perfectly clear on the distinction between "Superstock" and "Superbike" as outlined in the WERA handbook. I've already gone through the classifieds and realized buying a built bike would be much cheaper - I'm just wondering which specification machine is advisable to someone new to WERA. Sounds like Superstock would be cheaper to run and give me overall more seat time.

12. Squidoh

Squidoh Member

Being able to race up a class but not down a class seems to be a big deciding factor too, since running Superbike specifications limits the number of races you can compete in. More seat time is always better, I figure.

13. Squidoh

Squidoh Member

And no offense taken! I myself was wondering if the higher costs associated with running a Superbike spec would be justified at first, seeing as it wouldn't likely make me any faster on the course.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

with a SS C class machine you can race C SS & SB, B SS & SB, and A SS & SB, and Formula 1. If youre over 40... add SSB as an additional class. 7 or 8 classes 1 machine would be legal for. Say you bought a ZX6 with an aftermarket master... then you wouldnt be eligible for the SS classes per the rules.