1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SuperStock ignition key? 105db exhaust?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bag_hose, Nov 3, 2016.

1. bag_hose

bag_hose New Member

I bought a cheap Ninja 250 to use as a parts bike for my two street Ninja 250s but have decided I'd like to at least try some track days in 2017 and likely transition to racing and it seems like WERA has a good class that the Ninja would fall under. The bike that I acquired didn't come with a key and it doesn't seem worth it to buy one for track days and racing if it's not needed. I don't see it called out specifically by name in the rule book but perhaps that falls under part 4f?

f) Instruments, instrument brackets, switches, and associated cables may be removed and/or replaced by aftermarket parts. Original combination instrument/fairing brackets may be replaced with aftermarket parts. This applies and is limited to the upper front fairing area.

Also, are perforated pipes with fiberglass packing generally under the 105db limit? The stock pipes are super heavy and the only company that makes aftermarket full exhausts for the 250 is Muzzy which I have on one of my street bikes and it is LOUD! It does flow better (I needed to rejet) and it was about 15 pounds lighter than stock - a pretty nice savings! I just have no idea what 105db at half throttle is (or how I can test this myself) or if they actually test. It would be terrible to pay several hundred dollars in gas, race and track fees, etc to get there and not be able to race. I would likely be looking at racing at Pittsburgh International and Virginia Int'l Raceway as those are the closest to me (south central Pennsylvania).

This might not be the proper forum for this question, but does anyone know of any race organizations with classes that my Ninja 250 would be competitive in located closer to me? I saw CCS has racing in WV and NJ but their most appropriate Thunderbike class has a 300cc limit for twins so I'd be up against much more modern and powerful Ninja 300s.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes you can leave the key switch off no problem. The Muzzy is most likely fine, you'd be amazed at how loud 105 really is :D

3. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

New York Safety Track is going to be having a 300 race series starting next year if I understood their Facebook correctly.

4. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

Woodcraft makes a small harness to eliminate the key switch that is really trick.

As for the sound level, they're are several decibel level apps in the Android app store that can give you an idea.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

dsmitty37 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Great, more racing at an unsafe track. Amazing.

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. dsmitty37

Track is 2 hrs from me and I have yet to set foot on the property. I keep hearing of how sketchy going into turn 1 is because if you come in too hot and blow the corner there is little run off room and will be into the trees. I heard a novice female rider was following her coach and he pulled her too deep into turn 1 as she was chasing him and she crashed, her bike smashed into a tree and caught on fire and she was severely injured with a broken leg or pelvis.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

so why do they call it safety track if it's unsafe?

8. dsmitty37

Because in their eyes it is safe.......they have been told by a few people if they clear some more of the trees it would make the track safer with increased runoff room, the owners response was no...they want to keep the "park like" atmosphere and they don't want to clear out more trees.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's called the NY Safety Track because it was designed for car training I believe. It was never intended for motorcycles.

10. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I live in WNY, where it's usually a decent drive to a track for anywhere other than Pittrace. Still haven't been to Safety Track...

11. dsmitty37

Where in WNY? I'm in Penn Yan