1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suomy size copared to Shoei

Discussion in 'General' started by Cutaway, May 10, 2007.

1. Cutaway

Cutaway Well-Known Member

I have been told the Suomy's run a bit small & I am wanting a Spec 1R-Extreme... My current lid is a Shoei Picotte RF1000 in medium. Anyone know if I will need a Large Suomy? My medium Shoei fits perfectly...

Thanks for the help!

2. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

Hmm... I just went the exact opposite direction I've been wearing Suomys the last year or two and just picked up 2 Shoei's today. My Shoei's are Medium my Suomys have been Medium also. They seem to fit about the same but they're shaped a bit different. I think the Shoei (X-11) suits my dome better.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  3. Cutaway

Cutaway Well-Known Member

Not to jack my own thread, but what did you think about the quality of the Suomy? I have never owned one... mostly Shoei's my whole life.. but they appear to be very nice. Ohh & thanks for the sizing info.

4. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

Both are really, really nice lidz.

Only complaint I had against the Suomy was changing the shield (which I seldom do anyway...) it's not the easiest. Other than that they were great.

I've never owned a Shoei before today but I recently got a hookup on them and when I went down to try them on I was really suprised how well they fit me.

Bottom line, I don't think you can go wrong between the two... they're both excellent helmets.

No problem on the sizing. I can't guarantee it'll be exactly the same for you, but according to my new lids and my old Suomy's all are Medium and seem to fit close to the same.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  5. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

Suomy has a new lid called Vandal.. It fits similarly to Shoei. I wear X-11 Large and the Vandal in large. The Suomy is not as nice as the Shoei but not as expensive either and the shield is very easy to change. The Spec helmets suck in my opinion. I had to go up 2 sizes just to get it over my ears and it didn't fit for shit!

6. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

the suomy fit me a little tighter and also come up higher in the back so tucking with a speed hump on your leathers is easier. I prefer the suomy