1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suomy Helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr. Wu, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Mr. Wu

Mr. Wu Career "Back-Marker"

I was wondering what you guys think of these helmets? Also do you know where you can get a good deal on one?

Thanks,

Wu:cool:

2. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

I'm wondering what the sizing shape is like. I want to get a spare helmet and the Gunwind Bostrom one looks awesome. I wear a Medium Quantum/f and a Large RF-800 so I have no idea what size I need and no one carries them locally.

3. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

Gearbox International distributes them, www.gearboxinternational.com . From what I was told by them, the helmets seem to run one size larger than Arai. (if you wear a med. Arai, you should need a large suomy)

4. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

the fit is very much like a shoei.

5. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I just got a great deal on a Scott Russell Gun Wind from Maas Motorsports in Alberta, Canada - he sells on eBay. [email protected] will get you in touch with him. Fast shipping and quality deal. He also sells Suomy accessories.

Here's a link to one of his current auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1843938626

As far as fit, they run a little smaller than Shoei or Arai. I wear a large Shoei, the XL Suomy fits nice and tight. I can not get a large Suomy on. The helmet has a beautiful paint job, and the quality is outstanding. Excellent ventilation, best I've worn.

6. Knarf Legna

...and I see that kneedraggers now has Suomy, and those guys are the best.

Not on their site yet, but you can call them for an order.

7. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

We wear them and a few others that race with us wear them. They have only one shell shape unlike Arai's three, but they are fairly new to the helmet industry as far as distribution in the USA. I personally feel they fit me very well. I would wear a Quantum in Arai and actually, the size is identical. May be a bit small, but very close.

As far as thoughts, ask the Gobert brothers after their little scuffle with the wall at Daytona. They have publically stated that they were very happy that they were wearing Suomy vs. AGV. Their words.

But, again, they won't fit everyone, thus some negative feedback from some. Extremely awesome graphics and a serious following in GP's, WSB, and World Supersport. Good stuff.

8. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

i agree with lizard1 about the graphics,they are very good

9. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

try them on before you buy
    I wear a large shoei and can't get a xx-large suomy over my ears
    :(

10. orange-f4

orange-f4 New Member

I thought you wore a xxx-large shoei, hello ricky, larry39

11. Trickle X

Trickle X Instagram-regalmetalworks

Hey guys, I have been racing with Arai for a long time, but I found an awsum deal on a Suomy helmet a while ago. I bought the rapp gunwind in med. How it compares to the arai Quantaum is as follows:

The Suomy is a slight bit smaller in comparable sizes overall. But the most notable is how close your chin is to the front of the helmet. I can literally kiss the helmet. This leaves 2 distinct disadvatages in my book, one that has been proven, the other I dont want to find out.

1. I find myself breathing my own exhaled air. This lends itself to deprivation of O2 which leads to other problems like muscle fatigue, dizzyness, & so on.
    The Arai has a bit more room between my mouth and the helmet allowing fresh air flow. This was noticed in the heat during one of my endurance rides. There was an imeadiate notice is difference between the 2 helmets.

2. Being that the Suomy is much closer to my face in the front, now there is concern for a impact from the front. Most reconized is the possibility of being rendered unconcious due to the helmet knocking my jaw for a loop, similar to a good uppercut. This hasnt been tested on my behalf, but I just have that feeling that a frontal impact will not be pretty.

These are just my own conclusive findings, & would like to hear other's observations. Currently I am using the Arai & have left the Suomy styll pretty new in the box. I would consider selling it to anyone whose head fits it better & doesnt have the same fears I do.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2002
  12. Critter

Critter Registered

crash tested critter approved

fits as good as any shoe or Arai but is lighter than the shoei and costs less than the Arai the are a great helmet

13. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

Think they fit like an AGV they run two to three sizes smaller than say a Shoei

14. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

You sure it's not the hair?

15. Lizard 1

First of all, the Gobert's crash at Daytona proves that the small distance from the chin bar to the mouth is a non-worry. Secondly, this whole crap above O2 depravation is hilarious. Open your frontal vent. We've run endurance for the last two and a half years with these helmets and have yet to find a problem. We have crash tested them at various speeds (not intentially) and not a problem. In fact, they held extremely well.

One thing to consider here is the following:

-They are about $400 cheaper than a multi graphic Arai RX series retail to retail.

-They are lighter than an Arai and WAY lighter than Shoei. Thus, any concern about fatigue is washed away. Fatigue for a rider is most stemed from weight of the helmet and high coefficient of drag. The Suomy is light and very aerodynamic.

-The interior is the same Dupont material, but is not removable. However, one can easily clean the interior of the helmet - it just takes longer to dry.

-The face shiled is not a quick disconnect like Shoei or Arai's, but when did you really use that feature? Basically, how many times did you pit like in TT racing and have a crew guy change your shield in the pits in less than 30 seconds?

-It has a bag molded shell made of fiberglass. The bag molding allows the complete removal of air bubbles and pockets to create a stronger layering. The shell of these helmets are every bit as good as Arai's. Again, if you could have seen Aaron Gobert's helmet, you would have seen just how good the shell is.

Basically, for the features it has and being $400 less, the Suomy is a great choice.

One problem is the shell shape. Again, people are bitching because the helmet doesn't fit their heads. If it doesn't fit their heads, they really have no ability to argue it's quality or whether or not it is a good helmet. In time, especially when the new Spec1R comes, there will be a different shell shape available. People who own the things are the ones to listen to. Just be leary of people who bitch by saying their Arai is better. They've not realized that the Arai may be better in some areas, but the thing costs more, thus excluding a fair comparison. But, truth be told, Arai's biggest competition is currently Suomy. Based on customer feedback, Suomy is rivaling Arai in satisfaction and with the fact that they are very little as far as placement in the market, that is a big deal.

16. Lizard 1

First of all, the Gobert's crash at Daytona proves that the small distance from the chin bar to the mouth is a non-worry. Secondly, this whole crap above O2 depravation is hilarious. Open your frontal vent. We've run endurance for the last two and a half years with these helmets and have yet to find a problem. We have crash tested them at various speeds (not intentially) and not a problem. In fact, they held extremely well.

One thing to consider here is the following:

-They are about $400 cheaper than a multi graphic Arai RX series retail to retail.

-They are lighter than an Arai and WAY lighter than Shoei. Thus, any concern about fatigue is washed away. Fatigue for a rider is most stemed from weight of the helmet and high coefficient of drag. The Suomy is light and very aerodynamic.

-The interior is the same Dupont material, but is not removable. However, one can easily clean the interior of the helmet - it just takes longer to dry.

-The face shiled is not a quick disconnect like Shoei or Arai's, but when did you really use that feature? Basically, how many times did you pit like in TT racing and have a crew guy change your shield in the pits in less than 30 seconds?

-It has a bag molded shell made of fiberglass. The bag molding allows the complete removal of air bubbles and pockets to create a stronger layering. The shell of these helmets are every bit as good as Arai's. Again, if you could have seen Aaron Gobert's helmet, you would have seen just how good the shell is.

Basically, for the features it has and being $400 less, the Suomy is a great choice.

One problem is the shell shape. Again, people are bitching because the helmet doesn't fit their heads. If it doesn't fit their heads, they really have no ability to argue it's quality or whether or not it is a good helmet. In time, especially when the new Spec1R comes, there will be a different shell shape available. People who own the things are the ones to listen to. Just be leary of people who bitch by saying their Arai is better. They've not realized that the Arai may be better in some areas, but the thing costs more, thus excluding a fair comparison. But, truth be told, Arai's biggest competition is currently Suomy. Based on customer feedback, Suomy is rivaling Arai in satisfaction and with the fact that they are very little as far as placement in the market, that is a big deal.

Stop by our pit and we can give you some feedback and let you see the helmet and try it on.

Understand that I think Arai is probably the best helmet out there. I think their quality is exceptional and I would recomend them to anyone. BUT, Suomy has a killer helmet that features many of the things found in Arai's. They are hand made, inspected closely under government standards and are less expensive for same protection and quality. It is a great alternative, but there are some short comings. All in all, is it worth $400 more for a removable liner and a quick release shield???

17. Knarf Legna

I agree that the front of the helmet feels closer to your chin, but opening the vent and breathing through your nose there's no problem, at least not for me. I find the ventilation as good as anything I've ever worn.

I have my doubts about the jaw issue. A proper fitting helmet should not move much on your head. In the case of a full frontal impact severe enough to force the helmet into your jaw, the restraining mechanism (chinstrap) transfers the force to other structures in your head, and you have to worry about things like basalar skull fractures and neck injury. This is true for all helmets, and is the basis that a lot of anti-helmet groups use to argue against helmet laws on the street.

I feel pretty safe in my Suomy, and I like it better than my Shoei. Best to try one first, not everyone will like them.

18. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

The chinguard probably has EPS foam in it anyway so if it does hit your face it won't matter anyway since it's got the same energy-absorbing foam in it as the rest of the bucket.

19. VitoDuc19

VitoDuc19 MIA

I've got a Suomy Bostrom Laguna replica, graphics are awesome (quality wise). As far as size I wear a medium in Suomy, Arai (RX7, and Signet/GT) and AGV. Being a long time Arai, and AGV wearer the Suomy is nice but does have some differences and that some may consider downsides.

1) Faceshield removal is a little more of a pain. Shoei and AGV are the best in my opinion. I hate the Arai system, I still mistakenly pop off the side shields. So I guess I should shut-up about the Suomy mounting :)

2) Faceshield detents are too far apart for the small opening to prevent fogging. Solution: get a Fog City.

3) The front is close to your chin and nose. But I have a big nose, that's the reason for the Signet/GT in place of the RX7.

4) A little louder than my AGV or Arai. Not to bad since I always wear ear plugs.

4) Mine is comfortable for short rides (I bought the helmet primarily for the street since I had and Arai Signet/GT for racing), but on long rides it applies too much pressure to the ears.

Good things:

1) Great Price

2) Light weight

3) The faceshield are a lot cheaper than Arai's!

4) Looks Awesome

5) Lining doesn't seem to absorb funky sweaty head smell.

The downsides are all fairly minor stuff, a good helmet if it fits.

Thankfully I haven't crash tested it yet. Side note on crashing with Arai helmets: I smacked my helmet pretty good on a slow speed highside (maybe 35-40 mph) in the wet a CMP last year, and the faceshield on my RX7 popped off which was a little disturbing. Previous crashes with AGV helmets that has never happened after hitting in about the same location and even grinding partially through the shield.

Vito

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Nope... I have no hair and have the same fit problem. :D

Just thought I could answer too. :p