1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summit Point - an officials view

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Rain Director, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

The weekend really started a month before. WERA hosted an Mid-Atlantic round at VIR in mid-March, which was litereally a wash. Heavy rains at that event saw a number of bikes suddenly develop mechainical problems (after working on them all winter!), which mean lighter than expected grids and a lot of people earning points and learning to ride smooth on a wet track. With the wet VIR round in the books, I was hoping the Summit event would be one without rain.

A long 10 days passed before the event. The weather forecast changed as many times in those days. It finally settled down to a good Sunday forcast with Saturday being one of improving conditions. About the same time I was burning incense for good weather, Barber cancelled the WERA event scheduled to run at the same time as Summit. Pre-entries swelled as riders changed to the Summit event. I knew there would be a large turnout.

Due to some misfortune on the way home from VIR - the trailer experienced 2 chunked tires within 50 miles - the usual 225 mile trek to the track turned into a 450 mile odessy. First it was to Richmond to pick up the now-roadworthy trailer (props to Buford Scott for sorting it out!), then off to the track. We passed through sunlight, clouds, rain, mist, clouds and temps in the 40s before arriving at the track. As we were setting up registration, we got a very welcome surprise.

A gentleman known here on the BBS as WWIII placed haybales in T3 and T8, by himself, in the rain. He stopped by registration and asked for some help in removing them on Sunday after the event. I was speechless, and could barely say THANK YOU from WERA and all the WERA racers. Note that this gentleman does not race with WERA.

A check of the track with Tommy D revealed an area for concern in the T6 section. The track had used a mastic to keep the surface from breaking up in that area. A sealer was then used to seal the edges. I had some major concern how the bikes would handle this area. I also scared the heck out of a new rider who was wondering WHO IS THIS IDIOT INTENTIONALLY PUTTING A PICK-UP TRUCK INTO SLIDES ON A WET TRACK IN THE DARK! I tried to sleep, hoping the weather gods were right in thier Saturday forecast. The rain pounding on the roof of the trailer did little to ease my mind.

Saturday AM: No rain, but a VERY wet track and a sullen overcast sky. A mist fell in varying intensity. I made my first decision: delay practice while attempting to improve track conditions with the track blower, especialy in the T6 area.

At 9, I took a few cautious laps on my bike. The usual locations had the usual conditions, but they were markedly improved over what greeted me during the morning track check. Best of all, T6 was MUCH better. I informed the riders of the plan: continue to try to dry a line aorund the track until 10AM, then go with one round of practice, each group getting equal amounts of time.

By the time the third group took the track, there was a dry line developing. Lap times were 1:40 - 1:35 with some bold souls breaking the 1:30 barrier The cornerworkers graciously agreed to a 45 minute lunch break. My only concern now was how to fit 5 hours of racinging into 3 1/2 hours.

By Riders meeting, the day was beginning to warm and the overcast was breaking up as forecasted. I announced my decision and my reasoning on the number of laps and wished every one well. Lap times dipped during the day as I had anticipated. The afternoon did go well, although we lost about 40 minutes due to 2 oil cleanups on the front straight. One was about 2000 feet long! Shades of the pre-belly pan days at the GNF.

The bottom line: a 6:20 finish time (well past the time called for in the contract). No races were stopped! No ambulances rolled! The sun came out as promised! A number of people told me I made a good call in delaying practice and attempting to dry the track. Thank you to those who said this to me. At the end of the day I could not speak; my words were jumbled with exhaustion and release of tension.

I had to make a tough call on a first place finish that I knew would not be popular. The scorers had a tough day: three solos had more than 40 bike grids. Many thanks to that crew as they checked and checked and checked again in an effort to track every bike in every race. I forced Mrs RD out of the registration building at 9 PM.

Easter Sunday dawned with a promise of a perfect day. I made my track check with 2 helpers, stopping at the start line for a moment of reflection. My prayer: That every racer that crossed the start line on the green flag would cross it under a checkered.

Practice went well until the LW group. 64 bikes! STOP THE RACE! Split that group into Expert and Novice groups. There goes the practice time budget. There goes the scheduled start time. Grids were going to be huge.

Riders meeting: Give yourself a hand, guys, you made it through the day Saturday without a red flag or an ambulance call. I knew the better conditions would mean faster speeds, riders pushing it harder and the crashes would pick up. I asked for volunteers to help with the haybales after the race and passed the hat to get gas money for the gentleman who put them out. You guys were generous in your expression of your appreciation of this mans efforts.

Another delay as the start time passed without available scorers, who were busy doing grids. We got 6 races posted and started the races. The first race: a 3 wave start! It was a repeat of the scoring nightmare that was MW Novice solo Saturday.

The day passed - slowly. Laps times got lower as the track improved and the riders shook of the rust of winter. Red flags and delays between races due to crashes, clearing ambulances and disabled bikes. Scorers will had their hands full as almost every race was 2, 3 or 4 wave start. Now it was getting seriously late considering the number of remaining races. 8 lap races would have put the end of the race day at 7:30. Bad idea when sunset is 17 minutes later. I had to make a call on a violation. Another decision after investigating the matter. Race X: Red flag and a call for the race director to go to the scene ASAP. I dreaded what I would find in T3. The knot in my stomach got harder with what I saw. This could be the wo...

SOMEONE answered my morning prayer: the rider WALKED into the ambulance 10 minutes later! Deep breath of relief. Down to one ambulance for the transport, but it sure beat the alternative I was anticipating: medivac. 30 minutes afer the red flag, we re-started the race. Decision: races are now 6 laps. Time is running out.

Another red flag, and it was painfully clear I had to go to 4 laps for the remaining races. Another 6:20 PM end to the race day. During the track settlement proceedure, it was obvious that late day was wearing the patience on everyone. More riders offered thier thoughts on the weekend. I was beat again, and I know I was not as gracious as I should have been.

Many people were in a hurry to get home as late as it was; still, thre were 6 people who helped with the haybales. WWIII did not want to take the money I had collected. I told him it was he who interupted his holday with his family. Take it: its for gas. He gave it back. I put it in his pocket and said he should buy his wife a nice dinner. He said no, he would do donate it to the TSR fund for Papa in WERAs name. I said make it in his name. The next day, he posted here on the BBS that he would use the money to get more bales and protective covers. WWIII: I thank you for ALL you efforts.

Was it a good weekend - depends on your definition. There were some injuries, broken plastic and bikes, I had to cut laps, a long day, little in the way of controversy. It could have been worse.

You riders made it the sucess it was. Congratulations and thanks to all of you.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2003
  2. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Very nice, George.

It was my first weekend, and I had the greatest time. I thought everything went very well, especially with the large grids. Thank you to everyone involved for all their hard work. See you at VIR next month.

3. ducatiracer

ducatiracer Member

George,

As Race Director, all you can do is play the cards you are dealt. Summit this time didn't deal you a good hand, but you played it as well as anyone could. Well done!

michael (#56)

4. kl954

kl954 Well-Known Member

Great job on the weekend all went as well as could!!!

:beer:

#249 Well-Known Member

George....

Very nice writeup and a job well done at Summit Point. Although I'm new to WERA, it has become obvious to me that there are many, many riders that truely appreciate the job you and your team perform. I know I do. :clap:

6. Glider

Glider New Member

I would like to get started racing at Summit this season and I am looking to network with some folks who don't mind answering questions from a newbie like me. Anybody in the VA/WV/MD area who is hooked into the setup at Summit?

7. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

what ya need to know?