1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sulfur smell in well water

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, May 7, 2018.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

What are the best options to get rid of it?

My wife asked me to asked y'all because she knows y'all know everything.

B. Myers and Phl218 like this.
  2. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Move out of Missouri.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

An aerator.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends - hot only? Both hot and cold? Does it go away or always smells?

Hot only - replace the rods in it with I think aluminum ones. Both and always - need a filter setup.

5. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

BC nailed it. Aerator. I'm on a well myself. I'm used to it I guess but anyone who comes over says "what the hell is that smell". I tell them it's natural spring water, people pay good money for that!. Ha! Most folks in my neighborhood have the aerator and swear by them....

6. dtalbott

Which brand aerator am I looking for?

Our main repairman suggested replacing the water tank due to its age,or at least flushing it and replacing the magnetic rod.

Smell is hot and cold water.

7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Aerator's are common here in FL if you are on well water. Mine is just a primary holding tank that keeps the water pulled from the ground in it and lets it aerate naturally before it is pumped to the house (also goes through a softening process).

Looks just like this, but mine is on the outside of the house. The aerator is the big tank with the holes in the top:
    [​IMG]

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Somebody took a shit in your well.

9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Was Ditz recently in the area? :crackup:

10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Did you check if anything is in the well??

Attached Files:

Blackbeener likes this.
  11. dtalbott

My wife wanted me to add that the water tank is around 15 years old.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Do you make it a habit of always listening to your wife? :Poke:

13. dtalbott

I try to. She's much smarter than me.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Just say "I don't smell anything".
    Problem solved.

dtalbott likes this.
  15. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Darrin. This has nothing to do with the sulfer but you helped me out before. Find the nearest Water Treatment Plant for a town , go to it and ask if they do Bac T tests, generally they will give you the bottle at no charge and tell you how to use it. Its just good to check out a well

dtalbott likes this.
  16. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

For those using aerator, do you also have a chlorination system? When we were getting quotes for an aerator system here, they said chlorine was needed as well to keep the holding tank from getting infected. We ended up not going with an aerator system as the sulfur wasn't too bad. What we most needed was an iron filter.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did it just start?

18. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

How deep is your well? Is it possible you opened a portal to hell?

dtalbott and pickled egg like this.
  19. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I moved last fall from a house with city water to brand new home with a well. It's been six months now and every couple of weeks we get a nasty septic type smell that comes from only one of our toilets/bathrooms. We get this really awful odor from the master bathroom (located top floor, back right in house) that will go away after a few days or when we had two weeks straight of -15/-20 degree days it lasted for weeks at a time.

My original thoughts were we were not getting the proper venting. The new house has a 1 year warranty on it and I've had the builder come out with the plumber but they conveniently never find anything wrong. The water is also a little funky, especially on cold but I figure a little of that is to be expected due to well water. Also, in the toilet water holding tank we've gotten a really gross almost septic film in there that we've had to drain and clean out. The first time we noticed that the smell could be from there and took the lid of off the back of the toilet - I almost puked and then dropped because it was so bad.

Any thoughts to check out? When I get the time, I am going to have an independent plumber come and look at it.

20. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Our well has a lot of Sulphur. We ended up with a Chlorine injection system that works very well.

zippytech likes this.