1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggestions for places to live South

Discussion in 'General' started by Olympus Racing, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Olympus Racing

Olympus Racing Well-Known Member

Been thinking about relocating to FL or NC for a while now.
    I have visited Florida a few times (always in October or March) and I really like some of the things I saw and experienced. Yet there's not much to dislike when you are vacationing/racing somewhere.
    North Carolina I have only driven by but I have heard great things about it.
    I have about 12 vacation days in August I must use, so I was thinking of a trip between the two states to explore and spend some time there.
    I don't know if I'm cut off to live in either on the states. But my job allows me relocate to either one fairly easy so the biggest thing, employment, would be covered. However I'm not the only one in my family. My wife would have to find a new job, and my mom would have to find a relocation position with usps (neither FL not NC have many openings).
    Currently living in the Worcester/Holden MA line.
    What I love about where I am. Although I live in the city, I don't feel like I do at all.
    Theres never any traffic where I live. I am extremely close to major highways. I live in a quiet neighborhood (I'm by far the youngest person on my street as homeowner). its quiet and mostly retired households. Families and younger couples have began moving in the area he last 18 months (I like that). I can sit in my yard and although the highway is less than 1 minute away it's peaceful and quiet. I like the school option for future kids. I like how safe it is.

What I don't like:
    that the average house is 100 year olds, <2000 sq ft and asking prices are >300k. That's good consider I own a house but we still want to buy/build our dream home.
    MA tax is pretty ridiculous at this point. House, car, income, sales. It really is getting out hand. Thing that pissed me off is two years ago they started requesting street parking permits on our st. I can't even explain how unnecessary and stupid that is.
    Not a fan of the winter here (ok I won't complain about this year lol). I don't mind winter at all. But not for 4-6 months (sometimes). I don't mind snow either. But 100" snow fall in one year is bullshit (that should be illegal lol).
    We eventually want a bit more land and privacy. By law (unless grandfathered) lots in our current area must be 5000-10k sq ft. Nothing insane but we like to dream of having a back yard range or ability to ride dirt bikes and quads. A pool would be nice but I'd never get one or buy a house with one while living in New England. ARs and guns at 250%+ retail.

Things we dont care about at all: night-life. I don't care about night clubs or anything like that. We can easily be satisfied with a good sushi restaurant and a movie theater where gangs don't discuss their differences.

Areas that hat I really liked in FL: Palm Coast. Beautiful houses and affordable. Safe. Between Jacksonville and Daytona offers a lot as far jobs. Mostly retired people in the area I stayed. Not high on tourism. Quiet.
    Clearwater/Tarpon Springs. I wasn't that impressed but it was definitely a nice area. High Greek population (can be a good or bad thing).
    Deltona. Super quiet. Between Daytona and Orlando. Very cheap real estate. Good point to travel in any direction.

Things we really don't like: high crime, tornados, earthquackes, complete shit schools, high tourism areas.

Another thing is that my job "prefers" people who relocate when it comes to promotions so it would actually help my career a bit too to make the right move.

So I'm looking for areas to visit during my vaca with goal to explore if I can eventually live there.
    This really is an additional way of researching and educating ourselves. We may not wanna live there at all after we find out things. Maybe grass is NOT greener on the other side.
    Thank you all in advance.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Don't make a decision on particular areas in FL or NC before you've been there in the Dog Days of August. Neither place has severe winters, typically, but both have OPPRESSIVE HUMIDITY (except the NC mountains.)

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I keep reading on here that the south is full, I think you're too late. :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, south is full, sorry.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Check with Broome. He's supposed to be exciting the country asap from what I read on the beeb because he's trying to dodge the tax man. So he'll be having a yard sale and selling his property dirt cheap.

No need to thank me. :beer:

Phl218 likes this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I was born in Florida and live in NC. The Charlotte area if NC is nice and getting better as far as being clean and safe, but don't live in Mecklenburg county unless you want high taxes etc. It's only a few hours to multiple tracks too which is nice.
    Florida is not bad, but you do need to take into account hurricanes and the insurance stuff that goes along with it.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

I suggest Atlanta. Almost no traffic and very reasonable

:crackup:

8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

DeLand. Fuckin. Florida.

We've been consistently voted the best "Main Street" town in the US for years. Bars, music, food,nightlife etc. No lines between young, old, black, white, hipsters, bikers, rich, poor etc. We all hang together and have much fun.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Phl218 and RossK6 like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

FL... you'll feel right at home since the state is populated with northern refugees. In another decade or so y'all will have effed it up beyond recognition too.

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

How redneck are you? Outer banks NC is cool. Charleston, SC is a beautiful town, Savanah, GA, Cocoa/ space coast? West coast/ Naples/ Sanibel/ Captiva?? Pensacola is cool. I grew up in South Florida. Fun to visit, beautiful tan girls. Avoid it at all costs unless you like loud obnoxious New York/ New Jersey people. Much more tranquil every where else

11. caferace

caferace No.

Move down by Metalhead. He's always got beer. :D

-jim

12. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I live just outside of Charlotte. Traffic can suck...not Atlanta suck, but still suck. We are getting ready to hit that part of the year where your balls stick to your leg when you spend any time outside. On the flip side, not much winter.

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I'd go NC mountains or the coast around Wilmington (Southport is pretty nice too). I can't see why anyone would live in FL other than the weather.

14. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yup.

Moose out front should'a told 'ya.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I hear TN and KY may still have some room for Yankees. Locals here pride themselves for taking the money from northerners.

Kind of like the comedian I heard discussing fireworks. Something like this: "If you live in the pacific NW, you got to go to the Indian reservations to buy the good fireworks. What kind of sissies have we become that we're now buying our gunpowder from the Indians?"

MachineR1 and Phl218 like this.