1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Successfully bailed from Illinois

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Jan 7, 2020.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Funny you say Texas, good friends of mine live in Austin and said all the liberal hipsters moving there have ruined it. Also mentioned that the attitude is changing all over Texas, getting much more “soft” in his words.

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Your son can roll. That was a very very fun race we had. Back and forth passing each other hard on the brakes. That made my weekend. Tell him thank you for the clean, fun race.

HAZE likes this.
  3. grasshopper

I thought you did leave. Regardless we are due for a visit. It's been a while

I'm not completely clear on how to calculate the percentages. I think they change it randomly on the fly. Not sure... I do know that Indiana can only tax 1% of the assessed value.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

This is awesome Nick. Good on you man. Looks great.

Illinois is sad. My birth state and lived there n and off. It’s sad to see nice smaller clean cities like Macomb, Pekin, Jacksonville, Springfield, Peoria turn into individual shitholes over the years. All fueled by failed social policies and Chicago migration. Very sad.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Simple. No jobs, no economy. As companies moved out, the depression moved in. Democratic policies have killed this state.

Most upstate migrants, these days, are Section 8 seekers coming down for shorter wait lists. In turn, the cities being forced to absorb Section 8 are further declining, because those people only leech the city’s infrastructure, without contributing anything. As I mentioned elsewhere, cities are having to raise everything related to residency, to try and offset the drain of this subset of people and many other issues (pensions are a huge deal). It’s simply not sustainable. When the state’s issues compound the gloom, one can find zero reason to stay.

A simple example of how Section 8 harms communities is school lunches. I had a mayor of a neighboring town tell me, nearly 1/2 the kids receive free meals. Because the state is broke, they withhold payments until period budgets are passed, as there is no money to pay from. In turn, the city has to absorb all the costs, until the next budget passes. Then, they won’t receive the entire amount the state owes them, because there isn’t enough to go around. Obviously, there are a whole lot more negatives than just this, as one can imagine.

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I have been in illinois (Dekalb County) for the past 15 years and its pretty easy to see how it has gone down over these short years.
    Spent about 1 year and Wisconsin (Waukesha) and felt it was much better.

I am seriously thinking about moving, but to somewhere warm.

Bloodhound and ducnut like this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Waukesha is a very nice area.

rafa likes this.
  8. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I wish my taxes were that low as I have the same set up as you. I live in the north Chicago burbs and my 12k a year. Unfortunately we are not moving anytime soon but we are going to be buying property down south in N GA or NC so we can build on it at a later date. Or buy a home and rent it out till we move south.

BTW congrats Nick glad things are going well with ya!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ya'll remember this isn't the Dungeon.

(yes Papa & Dave - I know, physician heal thyself. :D)

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes, actually Real Estate taxes and weather are two of the areas California isn't the worst in the nation.

11. grasshopper

RRP likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

WTF?! I first thought that was the assessed value.

I know a couple whose 3 kids all live in Villa Park. One is paying ~$25K/yr. Unbelievable!

We have a ~$1M home in this town and they’re at ~$15K/yr, per the owner.

Anything that catches fire here is from meth squatters. They burned down three, last year, because police ran them off. In retaliation, the methheads burned ‘em down.

Starting last year, any abandoned property is assumed by the city and any structures demolished. They removed 38 buildings, in 2019.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

What town you live in again, I know it’s south central area.

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Nick - glad to hear one more family escaped.

We sold our house here and I will NEVER buy another piece of property in Illinois.

We are hoping the exodus is at hand soon.

ducnut likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Taylorville.

G 97 likes this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh yeah. I’ve still got relatives around Chatham and Loami area.

ducnut likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

So, Chatham-Glenwood area used to have people lined up to buy houses, before construction even started on them. We had local contractors driving the ~45min over there to build, because they knew they’d get premium dollar ($300K and up) and have certainty in selling. Recently, I got a sponsored FB post of a beautiful, Chatham home at $220K, which raised suspicion. When I pulled the Realtor.com listing, the place had been on the market for 10mos. That’s VERY unusual, given the past.

I’m seeing really nice homes all over Spfld in the $60K-$90K range. A recently seen lakefront home was at $375K. Decatur homes are even less, with a friend happy to get $30K for his little bungalow (he moved to FL). The whole area is going down the toilet. It’s even worse, further downstate, with towns not even able to support a single gas station or grocery store.

G 97 likes this.
  18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

It took me nearly 2 years to sell a $65k house.

We are 6 miles from the Indiana border and we may make an interim jump over there before we head south permanently.

If the grandparents weren’t here we already be gone.

ducnut and Bloodhound like this.
  19. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

we were going to ga. and then my grandchildren moved here from ga. wut the hell. how does that compute. live in warrensburg illlinois. taxes havent hit yet, but want out baddd, cause they will

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Plates aren't so bad unless you drive new 80k vehicles, even then you can afford it. We do have lower insurance rates than most. Cost of living is pretty good also. Indiana is one of the few states operating in the black. Indiana doesn't mind if you carry. We don't sell pot though!