1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stupid tire pressure question

Discussion in 'General' started by YamRZ350, Jan 6, 2002.

1. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Being new to radial tires, I've got a question. How do you guys and girls arive at the correct pressure for your bike on any given day? Do you just run what the tire vendor tells you is correct? There must be a (sort of) scientific way to get close to the correct pressure.

Up until now, what has worked for me with bias tires is to adjust pressure to get a 10 to 15 percent increase in pressure from cold to hot. Less increase than that, let some air out, more than 15 percent increase add air.

Just looking for a rule of thumb to go by, if there is one.If it helps to know where I'm coming from, all of my track experiance has been with light weight bikes, RD's, RZ's and lately YSR's. It might also help to know that you could time my laps with a sundial...

Thanks for any input and sorry if this has been covered before.

tom #506nv

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

the best way is to find your tire's operating temp, then check it as you come off of the track not in the pits. see how close you are to the operating temp.

[This message has been edited by stickboy274 (edited 01-06-2002).]

3. YamRZ350

Sorry to be so dense, check temp. with what kind of tool? Check the surface of the tire or probe into the rubber?
    I've got a digital temp. guage (thermocouple type) for checking steam traps ect. would this be suitable (sp) ?

4. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

STick, now might be a good time to tell john to get you that pyrometer [​IMG] Mr.Rz would happily run Bridgestones if there were the proper assistance at the track

------------------
    Jim D.
    Have you guys seen my ice scraper?

5. YamRZ350

Sure, I'd run Bridgestones, but what do I know? I can't even set my pressure correctly.

Seems kind of foolish to drop $1,500.00 on all the good suspension parts if your tires are under inflated.

Have talked to a good number of people about this (at least one tire vendor included) and they all seem to have a different answer.

just wondering how you guys did it.

6. Powers

Powers BOHICA!

You will laugh...I ask the Dunlop guy what he recommends for the particular tire I use. Then I adjust to that pressure and just leave it there. If you check it through out the day you will get a multitide of readings. So I check it once and leave it and don't worry about it. Its like anything else, you are either going to become an expert at it, or leave it to the experts. I figure at my level, I need to consentrate more on other things than constantly checking pressures. [​IMG]

7. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

One thing to note...please verify your gauge registers correctly! I thought my brand new gauge must be correct until Andy Caldwell ask why I was letting air out of the tires he just got from Moose.....to make a long story short Andy ran all of his SV races except the GNF with 22 psi in his tires.....now I kinda see why he complained of the tires being greasy!

....and I did toss that pressure gauge in the trash.

8. carrollm

carrollm Fast Rice Racing #71 ex.

Tom, I always check my tire pressure when they are hot (right off the track). Just make sure to give them a quick check when cold to make sure they aren't too low. Take notes on all your attempts and it will all start to make sense after a few races. I'm still new at this too, but I'm starting to dial it in. The best thing you can do is keep asking. Hope to see you at the track!

Mike Carroll
    FRR
    WERA #71 nov.

9. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

i keep a temp gun in the trailer next to the tire machine. just point and shoot. i will be at the races selling bridgestones. look for me

10. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

Tire temp is a good thing.. The pressure 10 -15% rise works too. A note here use both! you can tell if your gauge is good the temp will tell you if if the pressure is right. Use the same gauge too set the psi every time. Get a good gauge one that is built or the job. no little spring gauge i.e. pencil type. Get one that reads 0-40. You will see it better with all the sweat running in your eyes because you forgot to check the psi in your tires and you have your leathers on.. Write stuff down in a notebook if you do you will see a pattern between outside temp and track temp. A thermocouple type will work for the tire if the probe has a point that will just go into the rubber a little bit. go across the tire from side to side. use a infered type for the track temp.Just watch for bikes.

11. YamRZ350

Thanks for the replies every one.Just trying to learn a little. I really thought there would be more response to this but either this is such basic stuff I should know it allready(very likely) or nobody really cares to change what the tire guy tells them is correct.I wonder what everyone does at track days when a vendor isn't there? Thanks again.

12. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Is this Tom H. from EARA... What is this Nv after your name.. Tell me your not a Novice.. ? You sandbagger.. These guys are going to chase you right out of town with all the wins you are going to have...

What are you doing the RZ... 90... 100+ HP.... Im smellin teardown!!

Bill Cole
    Ex #27

13. YamRZ350

Yes Bill, it's me, tom the slow ass novice.
    My planned return to the "big" bikes ended with a low appraisal on the house and an even smaller re-finance loan. An abrupt end to my quest for fame and glory in the 125 class.I am putting together a big wheel 80 to race this year which is why I posted this question.(not many vendors show up at a mini-bike race)

14. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Now if you can afford a big wheel 80 you can afford a 125... Whats the deal.. Do I have to call your wife. (hope all is well with J and the boys) Man we are having alot of fun. Moxey has my old Yamaha and it tearing it up and Chad just got a 2000 RS 250. Com on dude!! Hell you can raid our parts boxes when we get lunch??

Bill