1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strike!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Sprinky, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Seriously, WTF is wrong with the union boys? Our local sprinkler fitters went on strike today. The HVAC union struck last month, and Chicago's laborers are striking. I can only speak for the sprinkler side but the current package that the fitters had was worth $123,000/yr including benefits, etc. Take home is $88,500 on the check.

All of the office employees have taken (more like been forced) two paycuts since December to the tune of 10%. Our margins are razor thin, we all work 50+ hours a week, and the non-union competition is really starting to make headway into our market.

The contractor offer was a wage freeze for first and second years unless they meet some employment goals (approx 80% employment), if they meet that they get a raise, then a guaranteed 3% on the third year. They want 3% a year no matter what. A hundred thousand a year to screw pipe together, WTF.

Is our union really that short sighted that they don't realize that they are pricing themselves and their livelyhood out of a market?

Sorry, just had to vent, and when it comes to unions venting, the dungeon is the place to be.

:down:

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yes

3. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

This happened in the early 80s with Masterlock and other unions.

Apparently, history is not a union's strong suit.

4. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

sprinkler fitting union? are you freaking kidding me?

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They will push and push and eventually push themselves right out of their jobs.

Some jobsites are union only but if they're on strike and the job has to get done . . .

6. Sprinky

Quite large and one of the more powerful unions in town... or they were bah ha ha ha

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The employer dealing with the union should just say "no habla English" next time they sit at the negotiating table. :D

8. Sprinky

... I told a couple of the fitters that I'm friends with that I was going to scab it out to non-union. They really didn't like that.

My buddies were non-union carpenters, they had shirts made up that read: "scab, it's a sign of healing" and "Jesus was a non-union carpenter." Those really pissed off the strikers.

9. Sprinky

I like "go fuck yourself, and your contract" even better.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

When employment is high, striking is a great way to extort money from the owners. Whn unemployment is over 10% and higher if you consider underemployed, striking is pretty stupid.

11. Spyderchick

Doesn't stop 'em from trying.

12. Sprinky

IIRC - approx. 20% on the bench, and all the contractors backlogs look like the Cliffs of Dover.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Tell me there is an error there somewhere?

That is mid-level to managment for an engineer salary range.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  14. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

I take it valentino is the president of this union? :D

15. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

Now, THAT is FUNNY!:up:

16. Spyderchick

He's not kidding and there's no error. Unionized, skilled trades have really good salaries and bennies.

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wow. This is what I dont get about Metro laborers. $123k?? Same job in the South pays $60k tops with overtime factored in.

18. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

southern cal is just slightly behind that... our HVAC union pipefitters get about 110K total package.

i work for a non union hvac company, managing some federal work right now at $55.80 per hour prevailing wage. a 5 year journeyman, who cant seem to show up to work on time 5 days out of the week, makes 110K right now. its insanity.

i have offered multiple times to give up my salary and weld pipe :D the boss doesnt like it.

19. Sprinky

Nope, that's correct.

20. Sprinky

I worked in the South for a non-union company and was I surprised at the labor rates down there when I took off my first job.