1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streetbike: Engine rebuild costs

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, May 13, 2015.

1. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

So, for the engine builders or people who have had engines rebuilt - what are engine rebuild costs like? I know there are a lot of factors - parts, labor, do you want to change stuff while you're in there. I'm looking for high-level average kind of numbers.

My Tiger 1050 has about 45k miles on it and I recently realized it's going through a fair amount of oil (I'm in the process of figuring out just how much, exactly.) It runs really well and isn't doing anything to cause undue concern, but I'm starting to think about what costs might be for giving it a refresh.

For example, what is a "minimal" rebuild - gaskets/seals, rings, bottom-end bearings, etc? Anything else?

How do costs escalate from there? What other factors drastically affect cost?

What are ballpark costs for some of the various "levels" of rebuild? Please feel free to interject with anything I've failed to considered or maybe just don't know about.

Thanks!

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Oil is cheaper than a rebuilding it. Just add when needed. Thats all I got.:D

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Those aren't known for burning oil.... Do a compression check and leakdown.

If you take it apart it's gotta come all the way down regardless as those are press in cylinder liners.

I'd do bearings, rings, check valve wear and guide seals at the minimum.

Is it a hard 40k miles?

4. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

About $1000 for a basic rebuild

5. 418

418 Expert #59

:crackup:

Maybe on a MX bike.

On a 45K bike you're gonna be replacing anything that looks suspect. It's gonna be a couple of grand easy if it's being done by somebody remotely worth a shit.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol I just did and mx too end and it was like $1500 on a Suzuki.

Lol here come the experts that have probably never built a lawnmower engine:)

7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Personally I'd ride it to this guy and leave it, fly home and fly back when its ready.

Just me though. :)

8. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Some call my name?

:)

Last year I got a quote on three options for my ZX6R racebike:

Refresh with no performance upgrades - $1800-$2100 depending on what parts were needed.

Supersport biuld - $2850-$3250 - again, parts

Superbike spec build - $4650-$5150

That included the removal and re-install, plus a dyno tune.

9. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

that was supposed to say Plus parts.

10. Sean Jordan

No idea, but I'm guessing not. I bought the bike with maybe 41k on it and have put a few thousand on it myself.

The bike was super clean with upgrades that lead me to believe the previous owner did a lot of long distance riding.

What would a ballpark price be for the minimum work you described?

11. Sean Jordan

I'm in Va - it'd be cheaper to yank it and ship it!

12. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I never been quoted anything less than $1200 and that is a bare motor sitting on a bench. That was a "local" guy who has a good rep for doing decent work with no upgrades just replacing stock parts. It's been awhile since I asked so I am sure the price has inched up a bit in the last few years. I want to say a supersport build was around 3k but again that was about 3 years ago.That's here in the Knoxville/Atlanta area.

I agree adding oil is way cheaper!

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just for giggles i started a cheapo minibike build to experiment with different coatings/treatments out there and to share a project with my son. My budget for parts was about $450. Some sharp pencil point shopping and finding deals on a few pieces really got alot for that $$$. But I couldnt be happy with "well enough" so now Ive got the whole motor in pieces to send off for metal/bearing treatments. :D In for a buck and all. Once I get bill from all the treatment stuff... Ill have a better idea of cost. Probably end up twice my initial parts budget...lol.

14. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

This. A competent stock rebuild will be in the $2.5k range easy.

Time is money, and a proper rebuild takes time.

15. 45k miles? Ghost ride it off a cliff and buy a new bike. :D

16. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I rebuilt my KTM 640 adv. Every bearing and every seal. A fresh crank and so on. That was $1900+ in parts alone.

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

This is what I have heard for labor....

I just did my SV with ONLY 8K and these were my basic cost on parts

Rings $55 a piece ( you need 3 or 4?)
    Bearings $8-10 a piece you need 6.
    All new seals $50
    Valves $40 (the expensive part) and springs $10 a piece
    Head Gaskets $60
    All new gaskets thoughout. $50

It cost me about $700 in parts. And that was replacing just what you see about with the exception of little things like valve guides and keepers and what not. Plus $1000 to assemble it basically but a GOOD friend of mine.

YRMV

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

He's near the ocean. I vote for ride it down, drink beer on the beach for a few days while he does the work and then ride back.

19. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Huffdady at HFD1 did my last build. Top quality and in the ballpark dollar-wise with anyone that does a pro job. Atlanta area too. Just ask Venom.
    Funny thing is when I was racing my FZR600 back in my AMA pro adventures, I did all of my own work. Was fairly common back in the day with the folks I raced with. Pretty much disassemble down to the crank and replace bearings and whatever else didn't meet spec. Anything like honing a cylinder would go to the shop. As I am semi retired perhaps this approach would serve me well now. Although if I missed something, seized and busted my ass, perhaps letting the professionals do it would give a bit more piece of mind. PROBLEM IS I DON'T HAVE 2-3 THOUSAND DOLLARS HANGING AOUND!!!!!
    Where do you folk get all your $$$$$$s????

20. Sean Jordan

High mileage bikes run in the family. My Dad put 80k+ on his GSX-1100G and DL1000. I put over 65k on my old CBR1000F. Take care of your stuff and it will last!