1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

street riding

Discussion in 'General' started by AFC, Oct 22, 2017.

1. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

After racing on and off for some 20 yrs, I haven't had a street bike since I was in school. I never enjoyed riding off the track, but I get the itch to own one from time to time.

For those with a street bike, how often do you ride, and can you describe the things you enjoy - vs racing.

After another break, I'm actively racing again, I'm really not sure how much I would ride, but I still wonder about something in the garage - I barely have space to walk in there. (In the back of my mind, I also have thoughts of the some racers crashing on the street)

Thanks

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I ride to work every day it's not raining and above 32 in the morning. Just being on the bike and the motions of riding are more satisfying that siting on a Lazyboy.

3. The Grom is awesome around town, on curvy roads etc. It gives you the feeling of hauling ass because it is little. Probably the most fun I've ever had on a bike.

I love taking long distance trips. I've ridden from NE Tennessee to Brownsville, Galveston, and Houston many times. Plus a lot of trips to southern MS and LA.

Personally, I just enjoy being on a bike. I don't ride at triple digits or pop wheelies or any stupid shit like that. I just like being on a bike.

I know everyone has a different opinion, but personally I will never stop riding on the street.

GSmann, galloway840, cav115 and 2 others like this.
  4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Same here, but I ride whenever it isn't snowing or the roads aren't covered in ice. Although I have been caught in both of those situations, it's not necessarily a choice.

Regardless, I see street riding as an obligation, as I hate being in traffic in my van. Terrible MPG, it's big, slow, doesn't maneuver, and the sight lines are atrocious compared to a bike. So I just commute on a street motorcycle, as sport riding on public roads holds no allure. I use a motorcycle as a tool on the streets, and a toy on the track. That way I'm not under any illusions while on the street to take out any aggression or sporting aspirations. That's for the track bike, bicycle, or dirt bike.

scottn likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't have a street bike, but if I got another, it would not be a track-able bike. If either get an adventure tourer or something crazy like a Ural sidecar rig. In either case, the goal would be to have fun riding at low speed.

scottn likes this.
  6. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

I commute daily on my ZX10 till the weather stays below 32.

This time of year is great riding in Michigan. I get all the "motorcycle only" parking spots to myself, and as the weather gets colder, the challenge of coming up with the right combination of gear to get to my destination without freezing actually becomes kind of fun.

There might be a day where I don't own a race bike, but I can't picture myself without a street bike.

pscook, scottn and Gorilla George like this.
  7. baconologist

I'd ride what you're most comfortable on.
    It does take a bit of adulting to keep the throttle in check

scottn and Uncle Snake like this.
  8. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I ride about every day to work, or running errands that don't need a car. Driving a huge car when not needed just seems like such a waste. I'll also do long distance touring or ride up in the mountains. Like others above, I just love being on a bike.

cav115, pscook and scottn like this.
  9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Funny this got posted.... I just cleaned my garage box out and had a drawer with about 6 kickstands in it...I thought about making a sculpture but just tossed them in the can.. I have not been on the street in about 11 years... No desire..especially now days with texters and shit...

busa99 and britx303 like this.
  10. condon66

condon66 Member well known

This is me. I just enjoy being on a bike. I will always ride. I don't do anything crazy, I just enjoy the therapy it provides. And I don't ride with any damn music blaring through an earbud or anything. No better way to ruin the experience, the way I see it.

t500racer, beac83, scottn and 2 others like this.
  11. baconologist

so much that!
    earbuds kill the sweet music of the engine. That said, ear plugs make an 8hr day go a lot easier.

pscook, beac83 and scottn like this.
  12. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Just picked up a new 2016 Zuma 125 for pit duty and a little local street riding. That's as close as I'll get to ever owning another street bike.

13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep! Texters suck!!!

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'm of the same mindset as Bacon, Condon and Broome. I ride on the street because riding brings me joy. My current situation has me bringing the bike out from the midwest in the spring, and taking it back in the fall (no indoor parking/storage here). Lots of enjoyable roads in the Hudson Valley, not for high speed, but for riding. I have an adventure/dual sport bike for on the street riding. Now and then I do get on the gas hard when conditions permit. :D

I may be close to the end of my track/racing years, but I expect to be on two wheels on the street until I can't keep the bike up by myself.

panthercity and scottn like this.
  15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Another one that rides every day I can. I dread the days I have to take a vehicle to work.

badmoon692008, scottn and cav115 like this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dont laugh but my 250cc scooter fills the street bike void. Just did 200+ miles on it yesterday riding 95 to Daytona & back.
    Its hilarious when people do a double take of me passing ~80mph in the right lane.
    [​IMG]

418 likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ride every chance I get. Only on days off unfortunately it's too treacherous to commute in Orlando. But if I'm off, I'm on the bike.

scottn likes this.
  18. You should see the looks I get passing people at 80mph on my Grom. :D

scottn and TurboBlew like this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I saw a Grom on I4 just a few days ago. Brave soul.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

theres a group around here that has "Grom only" rides 20-30 deep. Its funny watching motorists react to them. :D

Gorilla George likes this.