1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Store an EFI bike for 5-10 years?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Letitsnow, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Letitsnow

Letitsnow Well-Known Member

If you were going to store a fuel injected bike for 5-10 years, would you run it out of gas, like we used to do with carbed bikes?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

3. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Unless it's VERY special to you, I'd just sell it and get another one once you're out of prison.

:blart:

4. Letitsnow

Ha - Hate selling stuff. I'm more of a buyer. Hopefully they don't change me...

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I had one stored for that kind of time. When I parked it, I didn't expect it to sit that long. When I got ready to sell it, I pulled the injectors and sent them to Proflow for a cleaning and put a battery in it. It fired up and has been doing trackdays for the new owner with no troubles.

Letitsnow likes this.
  6. Cooter!

Another option is: A tank of Ethanol free gas, stabilizer run through it, pull the battery out, heavy grease the chain/ fork tubes.shock shaft(s), put it on stands, cover it, put it somewhere temp controlled or insulated, and please leave the damn keys IN it.

Say "Hi" to Bubba for me:D

Will9465 likes this.
  7. Letitsnow

That is basically what I do to store stuff for 5-6 months each winter. You think the gas would last 5-10 years? I was thinking that it would go bad and turn to varnish, but I have never tried that.

I am not actually going to prison (that I am aware of), just trying to deal with the fact that I change hobbies about every 5 years. As I age, I now recognize this and would like to just use the toys that were stored away (when my cycle goes back to that hobby) instead of constantly selling low and buying high.

Cooter! and jasonhise like this.
  8. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Rust in the tank would be my main concern.

9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

thats why the ethanol free tank with stabil is a good choice. worst case, drain the tank and clean the injectors after storage.

10. Cooter!

Ethanol free gas will be fine. If 5-10 years turns into 20-30, drain the tank, flush the injectors.

Very smart move on your part to preemptively store like that. Future you will thank you:)

Letitsnow likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

fogging oil

tony 340 likes this.
  12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Pull the spark plugs, fog the cylinders, replace hand tight, fog the air intake, fill the crankcase all the way to the top

And absolutely find a place selling rec gas, or a marina, fill the tank to the brim with stabil or run it outta gas with stabil and fog the tank as well

An old gsxr of mine sat for 11 years and started right up like this

Sell the battery now for cheap don't even try keeping it
    Fill the coolant with Caterpillar or Mobil ELC

Will9465 likes this.