1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoner to run 27 or 1?

Discussion in 'General' started by TD137, Oct 4, 2007.

1. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

Seems like most racers are trying to keep their brand alive. Hayden is old school and took the 1 plate last year. Will Stoner?

2. Cliffy

Cliffy Well-Known Member

By most racers you mean Rossi?

3. DeeZR6

DeeZR6 WERA BBS #1

I was about to say the same thing, hasn't everyone run the #1 plate since forever? Roberts did. Doohan did. Criville did, too, right? Rainey did. Kevin did. So its not anything new if he decided to run #1 instead of 27.

Damian

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think Edwards should have ran 45 instead of 5.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Even if Nicky would have chosen to stay with 69, Honda would have STRONGLY advised him to run 1! His words, not mine.

6. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

There are a few in other series, but most take the one. It is getting really common to put their number next to, or inside the one in some way though.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When you win the 1, you run the 1.

8. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

:stupid: . Hell even in a series that is "progressive" like Supercross, some guys who win the Plate, and move up to the next class will run the 1 in red instead

9. What about in WERA? I dont see too many champions running #1 plates. Are all racers who win championships allowed to run it?

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Going back about 20 years, the top ten riders in each class would run the number of their finishing position in the points as their competition # the next season. Pretty sure that Kevin Schwantz was the first one to buck the trend. He said that he would run his #34 until he won the championship, then he would wear #1.
    I think Rossi didn't wear #1 just to bust Honda's nutz when he started getting difficult with them.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The problem in WERA is that most riders run multiple classes yet you can only run the 1 in the class you won it in. So most riders choose to just have one set of bodywork.

12. So you just have to win all of your classes!:D

13. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Same thing in LRRS. Actually the 1 is on the front plate and the normal number is required for the side plates.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well, when I win my WERA championships (yeah, it's plural), I'll buy so rich I can buy 10 diff. sets!:moon:

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

From what I gather, it was merely Rossi being HIGHLY superstitious. There was a nice article in RRX I think, that explained all his stickers, and logos, and rituals on his bike. If you ever get close to it there are little stickers on it all over the place.

16. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

How does it work for a novice? Do you get to run a red #1 when you win a national sportsman title or do you just run your number but in red when you go expert? (in the same classes of course) and what about regional vs. national championships (sportsman/runoffs)?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 in red if you won that Novice class. Otherwise all numbers remain black.

18. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

So if I win the national championship races in LWSB and F2 next year when I have a white plate I would get to run a red 1. I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

19. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

what if a novice wins a national championship and bumps to expert the next year, do they run a red 1 also?

20. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

Read a book, Read a book, Read a Mutha........

3. EXPERT riders must use white numberplates with black numbers. Expert Champions will be entitled to wear a #1 plate in their championship class the following year. Novice Champions will be allowed to run a RED #1 on a white plate in the corresponding expert class their Rookie Expert season. NOVICE and PROVISIONAL NOVICE riders must use yellow numberplates with black numbers, fluorescent yellow is preferable.

Can also be found on page23 of the 2007 WERA Rule Book.

"Your body needs water, So drink that Sh*t!"