1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock market decline

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Dec 23, 2018.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

Beac just went full retard. :D

2. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

damn lies then man! :D

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Just glanced at my 401K.....bummed :(

4. turtlecreek

not sure if this applies, but keep it in perspective...

1. much of what you are losing, you gain from Jan through Oct and/or since Trump took office.
    2. look at it from inception. i still have 10%+ gain overall. still better than a mason jar or most any other vehicles for investments.
    3. it ain't yours, gain/loss, until you sell it.

sheepofblue likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I know all that....my comment was just kind of meant as a "meh".

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Its so hard to keep up with you guys! :crackup:

Fonda Dix likes this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

IKR. :crackup: Have a good Chistsmas man. :beer:

beac83 likes this.
  8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I'm wondering, if you reworded your search string, half the listings wouldn't be referencing Trump's criticisms (tough to say whether he's a market expert or not; would be nice to see his tax returns). Actually, if you wan't to play Fed Chair, maybe try it? To be very clear, your statement is flat out wrong.

Interestingly, a fair-minded analysis can be found at the RWN-kicking site Vox, supporting both the idea it could be bad, but its highly uncertain (and bad for whom varies). All Garth and many others here seem to care regarding the stock market are related to the landed/monied class, not the worker. Irrespective of the perspective, the stock market is pretty badly inflated, and a correction is coming.

There are certainly a number of countervailing arguments on the interest hikes, but having an independent Fed is is a very good idea simply because the alternative is a terrible one.

9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Independent fed is an illusion

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I just have to ask, if raising the rates now is the right thing to do, why was it not done while Obama was President?
    And what about the years of QE? How does one explain the complete turnaround in tactics?

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I'm no financial guru, but isn't this what them guys call a "Market Correction"??

sheepofblue likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I answered that. Because the economy under him couldn't take a rate increase. Not even a quarter point, it would have stalled.
    Same reason why the unemployment rate was under reported under him and the tax increases he wanted didn't all go in to place.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

you are more of a guru than you give yourself credit for. Yes, to an extent it is. Mix in profit taking, just plain old "cashing out" and media induced nervousness and you're getting there.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh, no doubt they would. But those wouldn’t support my arguments. :D
    Just one point of clarification. When you state “worker” does this refer to those who the state of California take money from in order to give to you? Are those the workers you are referencing?

Landed monied class? Next time I visit my Great Great Grandfathers, Great Grandfather and Grandfathers burial sites I’ll make sure to chastise each one of them for all of their life long hard work. ;)

I might even throw in a couple Grandmas for good measure. :D

And the ever ubiquitous 2 fucks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Because the overall economy was such crap it would have collapsed. But that’s non of my business. LOL.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have several friends that live in Norway, one in Sweden. They are regular working folks, not rich. They like their free shit but man do they moan about their taxes. The result is they live quite frugally, not many toys. They can afford one bike and they pay through the nose for the privilege. When they visited a few years ago they were flabbergasted at the way we accumulate bikes and ride without much care for speed limits. They stated that they couldn't afford a speeding ticket at home.

17. turtlecreek

'murica!! Heck yes!!

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yea but historically raising the rate crashes the market, correct?
    And they've raised it what, 4x in the last 2 yrs? You don't hear the MSM enlightening their sheeple on that point, as usual they're just stirring the pot creating as much fake news and fear mongering as possible.

On my FB feed, I read some dude questioning what he should do about his 401K......some fools were actually encouraging him to pull it out or move to a fixed account...:confused:

If I did that back in '08, I would have lost half the money in there, which did recover a year or so later.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Obama's fault.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Why you STILL so hard on him ST??? Let it go man!