1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering dampner/oil catch can?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by MikeR, Jan 12, 2014.

1. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

First post here with a couple probably obvious questions but, I want to make sure I have my crap together. Hoping to take Wera's race school and compete (using that word loosely) in my first race later this year at VIR. I know the rulebook says a steering dampner is mandatory but, does it have to be aftermarket or will OE suffice?
    Next question regards the oil catch can/pan, whatever you want to call it. Is this in addition to the oil catch area built into race bodywork? Once again may be obvious questions to some but, I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared when I show up. Thanks for any help!

2. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

OEM steering damper is good.

You should plug the air box drain and run the crank case vent to the air box if not done already.

3. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Thanks! Will get that done. Any word on my second question?

4. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

On all the bikes I've owned, the crank case vent is already routed to the air box as factory designed. If you don't want to be sucking oil vapors in the engine run the breather to a catch can setup instead.

The belly pan does not count as a catch can.

Edit:

superstock rules

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

^^^^ YEP

6. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Ok, now I gotcha. Thank you for the explanation. I'm currently running an 07 Gsxr 600 but, I recognize something in your profile pic. Gsxr Telefonica replica?! Have one myslef although it's currently out of commission needing new freeze plugs after I forgot to put antifreeze back in for the winter! Doh! Love the bike though!

7. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

Yep. It's gone now though :(. That pic was from a California super bike school class. Maybe I should update my avatar...

8. 96f3rinner

96f3rinner New Member

like the OP, im also planning on doing a race school (albeit the one in NOLA in april). I have MOST of my shiot together (just waiting on a tail fairing and tires). BUT...wrt the comments about a catch can, i could use alittle clarification on this (what it is/does and a good setup recommendation) fwiw, i have a RC51.

9. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

What are you guys trying to catch? Connecting rods and crankshafts or just boiled over fluids? Motion pro makes a nice little catch bottle that I use for my crankcase vent system, I have seen several plastic bottles used also.

10. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Or you could vent it out the back of the tail section :Poke:

11. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

since we're on the subject

anyone have a lead on a good crank case breather catch can that breaths really well(for a big single)?

12. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I am running the one from Motion Pro, I think they list it as a radiator overflow bottle. I thought it was kinda pricey for a plastic bottle but it works well; the old cheaper bottle I was using didn't vent well enough (on a 450 Super Single). It comes as a "kit" with a bunch of tubing and some tie straps and hose clamps.

13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

That is a breather for the catch bottle. Vents or breathers work best when not plugged off on both ends. :up: