1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

steering dampers

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

IMO 2 things if the damper is set too heavy...1) as stated earlier, it could be masking other issues and 2) set too heavy, it can present it's own handling problems. JMO

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agree on that totally - my only issue is the the not working or totally off ones.

3. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

For the most part I don't think so. Maybe it depends on the damper but, even if it's imperceptible, the oil flowing through valves will always provide some damping... Then again, if it's that light it's probably providing no more resistance than an over-torqued steering head or something, so you could probably say it's effectively off.

I think? :confused:

I know my hyperpro, and I think a lot of the newer dampers, is active so it can provide little to no damping at low speeds but will provide some damping if the bars start to oscillate at higher speeds. That was the selling point to me on the RSC.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed - I really like those and that's how the Scotts works too. Not noticeable at all on the street in parking lots or in the pits but it's there if needed when things go wrong.

5. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Thats what I think. Ill have to give my damper a test the next time I take it off.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The Scotts still work/dampen at speed, on the lowest setting. You can rebuild them yourself simply by buying the parts directly from Scotts and they are very helpful to customers.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

really? maybe you should go for a ride on a bike with a spaghetti frame and spoked wheels. :D :p

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's what I used back in the day.

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

By Aggies!

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Nope. CMRA requires them. Don't know about other orgs.

11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I will pass on that:D I really did try to like my Paul Smart. LOL
    The incident I was talking about was at Summit on my 1098 and coming out of T-9 hard on the gas the front wheel "gets light" as usual but I went into a mild tank slapper and was like "wow where did that come from"... then noticed that the bolt attaching the steering damper to the frame had backed out allowing "free play" in the damper. Only time I noticed it was the same scenario front wheel getting light...but really made me appreciate the damper.
    I also run mine as low as possible but I just dont see the reason to bitch about a rule when it essentially can only help you from a disaster unless like TDub said you have it turned up too high...
    Wasnt the fatality at Summit a couple years ago believed to of been from the steering damper coming loose and unfortunately a tank slapper followed and the rider hit the bridge? Which I know shows that even with a damper things can go wrong but...

Ride safe,
    AAron

12. eggfooyoung

dampener......

13. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

eggfooyoung...[​IMG]

14. eggfooyoung

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Well-Known Member

Ninja 250......hardly a head shaker. I can feel the effect of the GPR on its lowest setting, so in the event something did happen, I think it'd do it's job.

Like I said, it's on, it works, it's not "intrusive", but they do go for about $500.
    If it was called upon to do its job, money well spent......but like I said, I don't see it happening. If it does, I will probly personally seek you out & thank you. :D

16. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

I won't ride without one and it's a good rule. A couple years ago, I made a mistake heading into turn one at Jennings (loose gloves got caught up causing me to fly past my brake marker). I panicked and momentarily locked up the front bringing about headshake that was quelled by the HESD damper which allowed me to regain control, ride straight on and get back on the track. There is no doubt in my mind that without the damper, I would have been on my head at about 130 mph...

17. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

You guys know that headshake usually cures it's self pretty quick right??

I mean a bike is a self stabilizing object.

I have a damper, I keep the setting on 1, or maybe 2 if it's getting a little crazy. But I never felt the need for one, i've had some pretty bad headshake before, but hey guess what stay loosey goosey and it's all good.

18. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Sure...and I have also witnessed a very good friend of mine DIE because it didn't. :down:

19. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

What was up with the Ohlins on the ZX-10's imported here? Did they just not fill them with oil?

20. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

If you seriously feel that way, then you've never had a head shake that was severe enough/long lasting enough to make you totally miss your mark & be a danger to yourself or others.
    Loosey goosey is good. Hands shaken off the bars isn't. Neither is having your floating rotors pushing your caliper pistons back.