1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting out in mini racing, which bike

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by ibidu1, Feb 27, 2022.

1. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, thinking of getting into mini racing to help training for the big bikes. But I need help in deciding what to get. I did do 2 days of mini track riding with my first day on a fully kitted ohvale gp-0 190cc that thing was a blast to ride, sliding the front and rear in turns was really help full. My 2nd day I tried the bucci br 160cc, compared to the ohvale I did not like it, the bike felt taller and not as fast so I didnt have the torque to spin the back end like the ohvale does. Also front end just felt sketchier.

As a first mini im thinking of something decent, fun, not too expensive. Ive been seeing guys on kx65 what are your opinions on these? Or should I look for a used ohvale.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

If you loved the ohvale that much I think you found your answer

DmanSlam, SuddenBraking and ibidu1 like this.
  3. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I loved it! I think there awesome, but the issue is there pricey new and used. As a first mini, I want to make sure I get a lot of seat time, and use the bike instead of buying it and parking it.

Which is why im leaning towards the kx65, or any other brand, because of the low cost. Later on if I see myself using the bike often then I will buy a ohvale.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a 2T is going to require a lil more tuning than the ohvale...
    Buy high sell high is always a good exit strategy for bikes.

ibidu1 likes this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How big are you? A kx doesn’t have much room for a normal sized adult (American version).

My knees would hit the handlebars on mine.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Whats a 2T, please excuse my ignorance? The kx65? I know you need to buy 12" inch wheels (come with sprocket/brake rotors) that cost $425 + mount a sv650 rear shock. Still a better deal then a ohvale

7. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I'm 6 foot 175 pounds minus gear. At first the ohvale was a pain to shift, because I have long legs. Then I adapted, but must admit I was the most comfortable on that thing.

8. TurboBlew

2T = 2 stroke
    Also you'll need to get acquainted with the saying "Valves are for toilets" :flag::D

You could also get an 85 as its better suited for an adult body. Usually the race classes those are eligible in is the same as the 65

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Honda CRF 150RB. I am 6 foot 1 and 200 pounds. No issues and it has plenty of power and plenty of room for my long legs. Sold 1 of mine for 5K a couple of months ago. and have somone picking up my other one for 5K in a couple of weeks for his son. 150.jpg

10. joec

joec brace yourself

whoa...... those are nicely done.

11. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Some serious toys! How does the crf 150 compare to the kx65. Also what year bikes are best to convert?

12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Thank you. Yeah I don't know how to leave things stock and I am also OCD so its a good problem to have. Sometimes lol

13. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have never rode a 65 but the 150RB is a monster for a mini. It rips.

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Also, do you plan on doing some mini-racing?

I also enjoy my Ohvales, but a TTR-125 is also a great platform and you can race it in a couple of classes depending on the mini-series/track(s) near you.

Mini's are fun and you're right, a great way to get cheap seat time to keep skills/reflexes fresh for big bikes.

15. TurboBlew

its a cart track liter bike. :)

Stroud demonstrating braking in the bowl @ Herrins
    [​IMG]

G2G likes this.
  16. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

As for bang for the buck you're going to have a tough time beating a YCF SM F190. Change the tires, set the sag, change out the brake pads and fluid then go put a huge smile on your face.

We're racing the 150s in six hour endurance and sprint races and are super happy with how they've done, especially for how inexpensive they are.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What size adult male fits on the 190s?

18. TurboBlew

I believe the term is called "twink"
    Definitely not "bear" sized...hehe

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

I'm a little over 6', ~190# with gear and I can do 2 hr stints fairly comfortably. We had one rider in our team who's ~5’8” 230# and he found it much more comfortable than his Kayo 150 that he had just bought.

The YCF is a supermoto style bike so the cockpit is a little more open. Put some Renthal 816 bars on it for better width/leverage.

20. mouimet

mouimet Well-Known Member

I have TTR 125 with 17inch rims and slicks for sale if you are interested. It was built for the mini track. The onel thing that you would want to do on this bike is put a kick start on it. For some reason - the guy that built the bike removed it so it is a bump start. That's not an issue unless you are doing a TT start (I think that is what it is called - when you run to the bike). Mine would be $2,200 and would be happy to take some pics if you are interested. Send me an e-mail at: [email protected]