1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stand up scooters as pit bikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Nov 11, 2021.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just seems to me if you ride one of these around the paddock in shorts and tee shirt you're gonna get rashed up pretty bad when you dump it. Saw a guy have to go to the hospital off of one. True it was a much bigger beasty but still the same concept.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I've used one around MA events. Ive pulled a tire cart - one hand on the cart handle, one hand on the bars. I've put a wheel between my legs to take it to the tire vendor. It works, but it's all pretty sketch. It is however, a lot better than walking :crackup:

There are small electric scooters or e-bikes for that price. They don't fold up as small. But they are a little nicer for everything else, especially if your turn a tire cart into a trailer. This one is double the price but looks cool. https://jackrabbit.bike/product/jackrabbit/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Yea I guess I'm a bit torn as to whether I just wanna spend minimal money to scoot around the pits ($300-$500) or whether I want to get an ACTUAL scooter that I can use outside of the paddock to take the kids around on and crap like that.

DmanSlam likes this.
  5. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Just get a smoker pogo stick.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

@Dave K 's junk isnt german to conversation

7. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Go ped. Really fun scooters if u put a pipe on it. Last zenoah motor I had was 29cc revved to 13k and made 4-5 hp. Dave's discount motors in Utah still the place to get all the parts to build one. Costs about 800 bucks to build a fast one. I like the tiny solid rubber tire ones. Goes about 37mph with the .800 spindle.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Why do you need 37mph for a pit bike. About 12 years ago I bought an electric scooter for the pits. First Sat night at the track it was destroyed by 9 PM and in the garbage can.

One Wheel or go home!

9. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

it takes a while to get at that speed unless you are on a downhill at road atlanta lol. pipe power band starts around 10mph.
    left is bigfoot style tire/frame right is xped style.

this photo was before i cut and welded better bars on the bigfoot... xped style more fun cause it accelerates way faster.
    rsz_1rsz_wp_20150627_12_04_25_pro.jpg

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

My buddy just got a pretty nice one (around $500). It’s great for a trip to the bathroom or registration, but not great for carrying anything. Pretty slow up the hills at Barber, but it would get there. Definitely better than walking if you don’t have the space to bring a real pit bike.

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

12. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I've got a similar scooter that's been doing pit duty for many years now. But, it has larger tires and a seat that can be added on. They no longer make it, but for reference, it's the Currie eZip 750. It's been pretty awesome, and I really don't have a ton of complaints. The seat makes it easy to hold a front and rear wheel between my legs to do tire changes. Hauls me and a beer around the paddock after racing. If you go with an electric scooter, I feel like you gotta go with the seat. Mine easily comes off if needed for storage.

That said, I'm going to a real scooter pretty soon (Zuma / Ruckus). I want something with a bit more utility that can be used locally around town and during 'normal' camping. Just waiting for prices and inventory to stabilize.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don’t remember the year and it is scratched up, but I have a 2 stroke 50cc Zuma I would sell for 600.

14. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I lucked into a offerup deal. Kid was selling two china 50cc four stroke scooters ($750 total). He said he ran the first one for three years until it wouldn't start. Purchased the second one and the same thing happened.

Brought them home and Amazon'd two carbs for a total of $50 bucks and poof! I got two perfect pit scooters! Dang things easily carries myself and three kids (Asia style) no issues. Definitely makes race / track weekends easy.

Look for those deals, they are plentiful.

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

16. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I have a cheapo Walmart scooter that I paid 140 bucks on that I use. It has worked great for me in the pits. Really comes in handy for last second runs to riders meetings, registration, bathrooms. It won't climb the hills at Barber without a few kicks to keep it going, but it's still worth it. It's really nice for middle of the night runs to the pisser.

I've had it for over a year now with zero problems out of it.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

“It turns out to be a physically draining task. Riders of high-speed e-scooters have to quickly adjust their stance on almost every corner.”

Go figure :D

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Don't you get ankle burns from those expansion chambers? Or don't they get that hot? Or is it just "be careful that's hot"?

19. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Yes you can burn yourself on the chamber. BUT you only do it once.

FastByKids likes this.
  20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The one wheel is where it’s at. My buddy sells them and always has an extra laying around. I haven’t sprung for my own yet but I’m going to. Dangerous as f@ck but so fun. Especially for a late night track walk.