1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSR125 Guys........

Discussion in 'Wanted to buy or trade' started by Pigman, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Just picked up a used one and it needs some parts, TLC and a few other things...:)

Also anyone a SSR head and knows the DL on parts ect... any info would great...

thanks

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

What do you want to know / do?

3. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

So.....motor is junk and I am getting a new one off ebay.

Q.... Piranah or Lifan or Other

Give me some imput....

4. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Ogh and anyone know where I can get either tires or a sumo set up for this...

Front 60/100-14
    Rear 80/100-14

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

There are some limited 14" options. usually scooter tires. I'd just get on various websites and search by size. If you're just having fun, 14" will be fine. If you actually want to race it (competitively), you're going to need to lace 12" hoops to your stock hubs and run better rubber.

DISCLAIMER - i have zero experience with the SSR 125 bikes, so 12" wheels may create clearance issues that are worse that the lower quality 14" tires.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

7. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Awesome info guys......... Thank You

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Motors - First, skip eBay. Lots of places you can buy direct from and actually have someone standing behind the sale after.

Daytona is good, but you'll pay for it. They make some of the higher output crate motors.

Piranah (YX Motors) and Lifan are comparable in quality. 'GPX' or PitsterPro is typically a Piranah or Lifan built unit. Note that Lifan offers many price points, not all Lifan 125s are the same. Many motors are sold as one of the above brands are are not, buyer beware. I'd personally steer you towards the Piranah 140, it's basically the standard large stud spacing chinese 125 with all of the basic reliable mods done to it, 56mm bore with a touch more compression, slightly hotter cam, it has the preferred main shaft mounted clutch instead of crank mounted, etc. Next step up budget wise would be a Piranah 150 which adds some stroke to the above as well as a real oil filter instead of a sling and a provision for an oil cooler off the pump instead of off the head where it doesn't do any good. You can go bigger but you typically end up in KLX head style motors that will require exhaust tweaking due to the different port position.

Loncin, Ducar, etc, run for the hills.

Places to shop: I like TBolt USA, Vince and Vince are good people, active in the hobby both attending and putting on events in the PA area. They'll actually talk to you and work with you on nailing down what you want be it based on budget, performance, etc. They are one of the original pit bike vendors in the US. http://tboltusa.com/store/engines-c-114.html

Wholesale Cycle also has treated me well. https://wholesale-cycle.com/category/CEN0/Complete-Engines/1.html

Sumo - 12" wheels are readily available. Unfortunately there are LOTS of SSR 125s out there (and a TON more labeled SSR but not) so I can't point you at a specific set without seeing the bike first to know which front and rear setup you've got. Again, your go to shops of TBolt (SSR dealer) and Wholesale can point you at the right bits. I'd absolutely steer you towards 12" wheels if you've got any intention of trying to do more than putt-putt in a parking lot. Night and day difference in rubber available for 12s vs 14s.

9. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Thanks Kurlon....weath of info. Looks like I am going with a Piranah 150 or now seeing that site 160 LOLOL

Its going to be built for Box shop and NJ/NY too................

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Daytona 190, or you can go shopping in Thailand and grab a Honda Nice 110 based nutter build in the mid 250cc range. (Same base powerplant the Grom is derived from.) How fast do you want to go? :D