1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS prep SV650-B prod?

Discussion in 'General' started by AL GOODWIN, Aug 13, 2000.

1. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

What are the thoughts of my fellow racers on allowing the supersport prepped SV650 race up in B-production. This may somewhat settle the whole Duc 748/lightweight twins debate, if an SS SV can compete with the prod 600's. If allowed to I am going to race this class on my SV at Talledega, just for sh#ts and giggles to see what happens from my last row starting position. So, HMFIC wannabe, what do you say?

2. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Don't you mean C Production?

3. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Too bad your SV isn't at SS level, except for the front slick, and you can't run that in production. So the question is how well can a production SV run in C Production?

4. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Hey Al, sorry to hog the BBS, but if you do well on the SV you may be sh**ting in your own corn flakes. If the 748 is let in then everyone one will have them and your poor little SV will never see a podium again (according to some).

5. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

Yeah, C-production(give me a break, 13 days straight, 12 hour shifts in that God forsaken steel mill that I like to call HELL). And my stock Sv has outran a few larger bikes, how ya doing Bryon [​IMG], but only at Talledega. The c-prod race is the last of the day, last race of the year at my favorite track, nothing to lose, right? Any way if the 748 is ever allowed in lite twins I'm sure you guys at Dixie Sports Plus Ducati will prep one for me to race, that is what good sponsors do for a racer. Uh, wait a minute, why am I not riding one of your 996's in heavyweight? [​IMG]

6. WERA

WERA Administrator

Ummm, sorry, if it has a pipe then no production racing.... Except of course the V5 (or is it V6?) machines in B.

7. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Other than the pipe, there's nothing stopping you from doing B or C, as B is filled with mostly 600's anyhoo. I've watched several guys in C get 6th to 10th place, but nothing better.(I score at Summit.)

If you need the track time go ahead, but before you spend the bucks on the races, ask the tech guy for a 600cc tech sticker. Go out and practice with them. Pick a fast guy, and try to stick with him.

You'll be surprised at how many you pass, but you'll also be pissed at working so hard in the corners just to have the them walk you on the straight.

I practice with the MW Experts now, as the LW practices are riduculous. It's Nv & Ex combined, so it's impossible to turn a complete lap at speed.

Steve Clark
    '99 SV650

P.S. The masses aren't gonna run out and buy a duck just cuz it's suddenly allowed in LW Twins. They're too expensive, considering you can get a better bang per buck with the SV. Sean just wants to prevent somebody with gobs of cash coming in and winning everything, because they have the extra $16,000 to trash. Racing for the Masses, not the few.

8. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Al's SV is totally stock except for a Ducati upper, homebrew bellypan, and suspension mods, still has the Suzuki air filter. Oh yeah it also has Sharkskinz tail and a front slick.

9. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

So.....then why do you suppose you can run 996's in HW Twins? Or Tz's and RS's in Formula2?

Hope this isn't WERA's attitude. There's a lot of fine race bikes above the $7-$10k japanese bikes. No one should be penalized for what they ride simply because they have a better financial situation than others.

And remember, it takes more than just showing up with a high-end bike (personal experience!) to win.....(if only it were that easy)

Charlie McCullough WERA #90 Ex
    '99 Yam tz250 ("gobs of cash" and trying "to win everything" [​IMG] )

10. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

AAARRRGG!! Shame on you Charlie! Formula 2 *IS* the 250gp class. Everything else is "riding up" into the class (SV's, FZRs, etc)

Ye gods, it's the only class for the 250gp machines as it is - don't let people get the idea that the f2 class is supposed to be for something else (that already has 5 classes to run...).

- Roach
    '93/95 TZ250
    '94 TZ125
    '92 FZR400RR
    ("gobs o cash"? what? who? I just wana race! [​IMG])

11. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Hmm... lesse here. If I have "gobs of cash" (and like racing a twin), what prevents me from spending those aforementioned gobs on a SV700 (or SV750 - read the rules!) superbike putting out close to or more than 100hp and dominating LW twins?

"Suzuki cup" isn't the answer as if I already have gobs of cash, I don't care about that.

Me thinks your argument is leaking like an old Harley [​IMG]

A 748 isn't all that fast out of the box, and without being able to increase the displacement due to the 750cc rule, you're not going to see pro-thunder caliber bikes.
    A SV built to the rules would be very competative with a 748 me thinks, and the price would still be less with the base model 748 costing $13k.

Of course... all this is moot to me - I don't need no stinkin' twin. Well... unless it sounds like a chainsaw on steriods [​IMG]

- Roach

12. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Well, for starters, since my lean, mean, 68.5 Hp, SuperStock SV is leading the LW Twins points by approximately 40 points, I guess the answer would be, you gotta get around my fat a$$, first.<g>

After that, there still some R&D that needs to occur with the SV700+. Ask Ledesma if he's spent more than $16k on his SV yet. Blowing two motors at Daytona, and another one somewhere else can't be cheap.

The 748 comes out of the box ready to run for that price. It already has the better suspension, and not to mention a belly pan.

I'm not really sure what the argument is anymore, but I'd love to see the twins classes get more specific, like:
    LW Twins - Built Hawks, Built EX, Stock SV
    MW Twins - 748, Built SV, Misc Duc
    HW Twins - TL, RC51, Big Ducs, Big SV, Big whatever

This way Suzuki can still leave the contingency money in LW Twins, but we won't have to worry about AOL sponsored riders from doing the aforementioned dominating.

I'm sure the blenders(RS & TZ) could get mixed in here and there to fill grids.

If any of this is unreasonable, please note where I've gone wrong. I've given this tons of thought, but don't know how to sell it to HFMIC.

13. WERA

WERA Administrator

Find me room on Sunday for the MW Twins class... Not to mention enough riders to fill it on top of the other two classes (which have a decent turnout but not huge by any stretch).

14. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

The only thing that jumps out is to meld clubman into the LW Twin. Clubman isn't exactly filling the grids, but I'm sympathetic to their needs as I have logged time on an EX.

If filling the grids is an issue, most SVs will sign up for both the LW and MW race.(Just like most sign up currently for D and F2.)

Right now, I don't sign up for the HW Twins, because I'm just not competition for Duc748, TL, or RC. I think more RC's will emerge, and, HW is also supported with V6, so hopefully the loss of a couple SV's wouldn't be detrimental.

How about this for a litmus test. Let's see the grid for the VIR Clubman race. The weather should be nice, so you won't have the 5 bikes(Nv & Ex) that we saw at Summit in the rain. Then toss around potential grid numbers, with the LW, MW idea in mind.

Maybe Charley Wright, the last of the dying breed, could chime in here?

15. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Since everyone wants their own class, can we have just a FZR400 class? [​IMG]

16. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Wasn't that called D-production, say about 10 years ago when an fzr400 was competitive. [​IMG]

17. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

ouch [​IMG]

18. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Tracee, let the record show that the above comment which bears my name was not penned by me, but by an imposter you may know, head keeps getting bigger.

19. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Allen, pay backs are a bitch!! Don't stop looking over your shoulder anytime soon. [​IMG]

20. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Tracee, I hate to bring this up, but if Allen needs to look over his shoulder, then you are either behind him :confused or lapping him :eek. Just wait till next year when he gets bumped to expert, then you can have your way with him.