1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spray Paint and Tank Grips

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Chango, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

In today's edition of Chango is an Idiot, I stuck some old, leftover tank grips on my 750 with a spray painted tank cover for a trackday yesterday. They lasted 3 1/2 sessions before flying off. Turns out, I really really liked having them. When I get new ones, what kind of prep do I need to do to prevent losing another set?

I don't remember how old the grips were, but they were "specific" to a bike I haven't owned for several years now. I hadn't ever peeled the paper off the back, but they were premium aged.

The paint is matte black Rustoleum, just in case that matters.

2. RandomTask

RandomTask Well-Known Member

Shouldn’t need much. Make sure they’re clean then use rubbing alcohol to remove any leftover fingerprints, oils, etc. IIRC some tank grips want you to warm the surface first too. If so, just take a heat gun or hair dryer to it after you’ve wiped it clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Which matte black Rustoleum... If the surface is powdery like primer, I doubt the pads will stick for long. If its smooth and hard like regular auto paint, everything should stick great after cleaning with alcohol like RandomTask said.

For pads that don't come with sticky backing, 3M spray adhesive works great if you follow the instructions exactly. This may also help sticking to non-ideal surface finishes, but I've never tried it.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Just be warned that if you use an adhesive and take the grips off it'll lift the paint also unless you know what you're doing

5. Chango

Chango Something clever!

That's not a concern for me. I'd rather have the grips pull the paint off than have the grips fly off while I wobble slowly down the straight. If it actually happens, I've got more spray paint on the shelf.