1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spirit Motorcycles GP Sport R

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Dec 1, 2016.

1. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Man I don't get why people are bothered by what people are riding on and whatever group they are riding it in....

I have a new Ducati. It's always been my dream to have one for the track. I won't be setting any records but I'll be having fun supporting the sport on the bike of my dreams. Sorry that may get in the way of someone else doing the same....

ew422, JTW, Boman Forklift and 6 others like this.
  2. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Cool helmet @wsmc 589 ... by the way if I was a billionare I'd be renting Rossi's 2017 M1 to put in lap times 20 seconds below race pace so y'all can suck it ;) ...ok not really, but I'd have a damn nice paint job on my R6....:cool:

wsmc 589 likes this.
  3. wsmc 589

I'm happy to see companies making cool crazy expensive motorcycles. I'll never get to ride one but it's good for our sport!

My last track bike was a built 07 GSXR 1000 that put 190 to the wheel. I didn't think bad of the rich guy in the beautiful panigale or Desmo I would pass. I thought "good for him"...

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I probably came across as a bit dickish and I did not really mean to. I have a Duc as well. You would just have to experience that segment of the Ducati group at COTA to really understand why they are being mocked. Like slow as shit guys with all new gear pulling attitude towards people on older bikes and only talking to others on newer Ducatis, "gangs" of riders in the riders meeting threatening to beat people up because they are on "their" line, ignoring passing rules and riding extremely unsafe then threatening people in the pits that complained etc. Its not the machine and the fact that it is expensive. It is the arrogant, condescending assholish attitude that you can usually predict from across the paddock just by their appearance. Nice bike and gear and friendly is cool. Nice bike and gear and think that you spending more money makes you a better rider/person than those on lesser equipment is less cool.

5. wsmc 589

I've never experienced it but that sucks it's happening.

One of my last track days when I lived in SoCal the owner of Santa Barbara Ducati was pitted next to me. He had superlegg's and desmo and his "crew" was riding them all. Not fast but they were getting used properly. At first I will admit I was a bit standoffish because I thought he might be douchy (I didn't k i.e. who was at first). Turned out to be a bedy nice guy that didn't mind getting spammed with my old GSXR lol....

crashman likes this.
  6. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Are we at the same track day? Ive never experienced it that bad, just the occasional douchebags, but usually its just people with money doing what they do, thinking they're hot shit by bombing the straight and parking in corners. But never experienced anything like you described.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Maybe it was just the one day I was there. I have only been once but the douches were out in full force. Like to the point of that group calling out people and wanting to fight when someone mentioned over aggressive riding. It was pretty bad and IMO Dave should have tossed 1 or 2 of them to make a point.

8. derblott

derblott Well-Known Member

^ This.

The seattle area is FULL of Ducatis, and many of them end up at the track in the 100 and 200 level groups, I used to be one of them. My ducati hasn't seen the street since and I started racing and have moved to smaller bikes. Only good things can come of any of this. Fancy new bikes spark the desires of new riders, new track day folks, and new racers.

Very few of us are raised from babies to ride bikes and race them. There's some catalyst that gets most people started, whether it's a ducati they see on the street or a BMW ad on television or some youtube video of motogp.

pscook likes this.
  9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Go to the track when some of the exotic car clubs are there- these "rich" Ducati guys you're discussing will look like kids messing around on Groms. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Haha! I used to track my car with those douchebags :)

[​IMG]

Boman Forklift and masshole like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have done a few trackdays with USDESMO and would state that 99% of them are the finest people.
    Sometimes metalhead joins in his fizzer

Same for the ducati.ms group that meets up at the dragon once a year. High end shit rolling in, but plenty of shenanigans.

All a matter of perception. If I had the $$$, I'd be tricking the shit out of my duc and would rock branded gear all day long.

Heck, whatever bloats your goat

12. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Tire shine for track days?

13. joec

joec brace yourself

I just went to the track to help a friend after street riding for 6 months and decided I could whip everyone's ass. Lol...nope..

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Who cares what people ride at the track....more power to them for being on the track. I've never owned a brand new bike and don't plan on it. I ride my jalopy that I put together from a salvage bike and parts I bought used from other racers on here and off of Facebook. If some guy with a brand new race prep Duc, Yami, Gixxer, ZX goes by me good for them, they are a better rider than I because I didn't keep them behind me. Don't hate because some people are in a better financial position than others. Yeah I may look at the fancy toy haulers and coaches and be envious because I would like to have those comforts but I am happy to load my bike in the back of my truck and make a trip out of a race weekend. Not winning a race is better than being at work anytime in my book unless its going to the range to qualify then its a good day at work.

pscook and WANABE RACER like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You do realize you just described the vast majority of track day riders right? :D They don't need money or fancy bikes or the like.

16. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing this first hand.

17. SWAT_Spyder76

SWAT_Spyder76 Well-Known Member

I'm very new to track riding and spent every chance I could (afford) at the track this past summer. None of my friends in the area ride, so with the wife and dog in tow we would make a weekend of it. I will admit, the very first track weekend scared the shit out of me because i had no idea what to expect or what to do, but i found that pretty much everyone, regardless of high, middle, or low end bike was extremely nice to me in the pits and on the track. Yes there was some occasional things on the truck that were kinda shitty, but even at that, people who made mistakes apologized. And when I made mistakes and could have fucked up someone on their brand new Duc behind me, they followed me to the pits and explained what I did and how to correct it. With all that being said, my only complaint were two instances where employees of dealerships more or less came in to the pits and acted like they owned the place. This occurred at only one track weekend where for my birthday my wife had rented me a garage (more so my dog could have a fan since we didn't have a generator and it was very hot out). The were Touching, moving my stuff so they could better fit their shit in, not realizing who's cooler they were in and eating our food and drinks, parking their bikes in front of my garage so I could not get in or out. One guy wrecked the 1st lap, totaled his bike. He was ok, but everyone just laughed, was like his 4th totaled bike and the dealership was gonna fix it. Must be nice. But I feel this is an isolated incident because like I said, everyone else, regardless of bike cost, was awesome and just wanted to teach people to build up the interest in the sport and would do anything to help. So as someone new, if someone had tons of money laying around and brings 6 Ducs or BMWs to the track or one person who was just able to save enough money to grab 1, whether they really should have it or not, as many had said, at least they are keeping the sport alive. I got hooked and would like to do this for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

It's funny because I'm about to become one of the "douchey" Ducati guys. When I was younger, I didn't see the appeal to higher end bikes. I was of the mindset that you get better performance at half the price with a UJM.

After I quit racing, I took a lot of time off away from the track figuring it would temper some of my competitiveness. I returned to the track a few years ago on a UJM. Threat UJM is now a decade old and I am at a point where not only can I afford a nicer bike I also want to ride it as it was intended. I also must admit that the electronic packages piqued my curiosity.

So this season I will be riding my 1299. I ride with guys who have older UJMs as well as newer Italian bikes. We all have fun. The local Ducati scene has a bunch of people who want to get their bikes to the track and are enthusiastic. None strike me as arrogant people.

Phl218, wsmc 589 and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Meh- everybody and their brother has a Painey-gaaleee.

Bet you I'll get more attention on my 300cc Z125 when I put my head down and do some hard passing in Novice group next season!

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Because if you're on a pile of a race bike, it's a win/win. Anyone that passes you only did it because their bike is more expensive and anyone that you pass makes you a superior rider because you did it on something that cost $4.

Haven't you ever noticed that anyone with a fast bike "parks it in the corners". Because they definitely didn't pass anyone because they're a better rider.

I've seen jerkoffs on every brand of bike out there. Some of them were expensive. Some weren't. Also met a lot of very cool riders and racers on all kinds of bikes. My takeaway is that some people are douche bags regardless of what they're riding.