1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spidi Air-Bag Vest....

Discussion in 'General' started by JBaucom, Feb 5, 2010.

1. JBaucom

JBaucom Well-Known Member

... has anyone tried it? Would you want to? Opinions welcomed.:up:

2. JBaucom

Anybody???

3. Im holding out for the Dainese D-Air suit or Alpinestars equivalent.

I don't give a shit if the suit is $4,000. If it will prevent another collarbone fracture, I will buy one.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

While you guys are waiting for the 4k suits you might want to get one of these. http://www.safermoto.com/ These airvests use the same system that is used by Spidi at a fraction of the price.

The vest is under 400 and there are a bunch of tests that show how much they reduce G's on impact. The tests were performed by a Japenese company as the vest/jackets are made in Japan and distributed in America by John at Safermoto.

Rob

5. JBaucom

The Spidi retails for $599 and can be had a little less than that. Debating which to go with now....

6. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

The great thing about these vest from looking at the websites is that they would be like wearing next to nothing extra and they also can be reinflated very easily after a wreck. Def. something to consider and at $339 for the safermoto one, not a bad price. My only question would be how they handle the asphalt?

7. surfercc

surfercc Well-Known Member

I think the vest is designed to take the initial impact, then you're leathers protect you from the asphalt. I doubt the vest fabric would hold up on the asphalt to protect from a later impact. Then again it might be made from some kevlar mat'l.. just my .02

8. hotnail

Yeah, I guess I would have to talk to the company about that issue because if the material can't handle asphalt the vest might be a one and done and that would not be good. The biggest thing I like about the vest is the area around the neck that inflates that would prevent hyper extension and also may help avoid the head from hitting the asphalt. Also, I wonder how the vest would work around the speed hump and if you would still wear a back and chest protector like my Knox Contour and Knox chest protector.

9. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

would it deploy fast enough...in case of a spill on the track ?

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Fortunately ours hasn't been deployed yet. But tests say it will deploy quickly enough. I would call John at Safermoto and talk with him about it. My son is going to wear his when he practices at the motorcross track too.

11. What about while you are still in contact with the bike?

That is the flaw in EVERY tethered vest/suit/jacket etc. The last time i suffered a compound fracture of my left collarbone, i was still sitting "on" my seat at the time of impact.

Yes, something like that could/would be beneficial in a highside where you are thrown from the bike, shot in the air and impact the ground later. But they will do nothing for you when you are still in contact with the bike and slam the ground after you tuck the front, get clipped by another rider etc.

12. hotnail

Very good points. It looks like the tether is only about 3ft. I would help on a lowside (I think) but not until you are just a foot or two away from bike. It opens in 450 milliseconds which I'm assuming is about 1/2 second or so I guess. They would also play a HUGE role if you lowside and impact something. I still think we will see a movement over the next several years with this technology.:up:

13. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Yea I was thinking the same thing...

The testing does look good, significant lower Gs on the head, significantly less depression in the chest area. Seems like it would beneficial in nasty highside.

Just wish they had more 'real world' data. Dropping a dummy on stool doesn't really cut it for me. Wonder why no pro guys are wearing one.

14. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

It's called safermoto, not no risk moto.

15. hotnail

I actually talked to safermoto and he said that they are now using this exact technology on RS Tiachi suits for the neck and collar bone areas. They are actually putting it in the suit but Im sure the cost for this is pretty high. Exciting news none the less!!

16. :p

17. JBaucom

If anyone wants to try the Spidi suit, I'll hook them up just to try it. I want to know how it works. PM or call me@ 803-285-5893.

18. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

The Spidi and RS Tiachi suits use the same Hit-Air systems as the SaferMoto vests and jackets. we cary spare airbags and CO2 refils for both the Spidi DPS and RS Tiachi systems.
    No system is perfect when I broke my collar bone at a AFM round a few years a go I lowsided and dropped directly onto my left shoulder. I dont think the vest would have helped stop that from happening. I lowsided my DRZ400SM at Thunderhill last Thanksgiving, lost the front onn a slipped wet track going into turn 3. I remember thinking this is going to hurt my right shoulder. Before I hit the deck the vest was inflated and took the whole force of the fall. Absolutely no injury to me at all. Here is what it looked like after I got out of the mud :)
    [​IMG]

and the bike looked like this

[​IMG]

I really dont TRY to test the products, shit just happens :moon:

19. Note to self. keep ^ this guy behind me. Stay away you accident prone crazy Scot'!

Oh and :up: to Safermoto vests! Hope to not test mine this weekend.

20. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

:) If Rossi can crash 2 or more times in a day then I can crash 2 or more times a season and not feel bad about it :up: