1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Triple or Duc Monster

Discussion in 'General' started by complxd, Apr 20, 2003.

1. complxd

complxd Well-Known Member

Yea, that is a bit biased but a valid point.

Linc,
    I am doing good, do you still have aol? My new address is complxd@aol

2. daytona

daytona Well-Known Member

I do think in th end you have to go with your gut feeling. Find the bike that moves you. I do think the Speed III can do all of that and more. What year model are you looking for? Also if you are going to buy a used one I might be able to give you the history of it.

3. complxd

I'm not really sure what year but most likely a used one. I just deceided to look for one. I like the the upper cowl on the front, but I assume that can be bought aftermarket or as a Triumph accessory. What year would you recommend?

4. ammomac

ammomac Well-Known Member

if you are considering used - go Triumph

Having owned several of them I can vouch that the resell is SH*T so you should be able to get a good deal!!! :)

5. fat bloke

fat bloke Well-Known Member

yeah i second that if you got the moo-lah go for the last of the older shape but with the bigger motor, 98/99/00/01 you,ll clean up and save a packet plus it,ll probly come loaded with all the triumph goodies too!

6. daytona

2000 to 2001 is not bad but for the money right now a 2002 would be the way to go the injection is better the engine is putting out more power and it has been improved all over. Also I think that if you can find a dealer that still has any you can take advantage of $1,000 cash back at the moment so that makes buying a new one more attractive IMO.

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I owned a '98 T595 Daytona for 5 years (just sold it :( ). I did not have 1 single problem with the bike. Just hit the starter button and go. BTW, I used my bike on the street and the occassional track day as well. While the Ducati has a really good sound, so does the howl of a Triumph triple. Nothing else on the road sounds like it.

8. complxd

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am now looking for a 98-02 Triumph Speed Triple.

9. ammomac

ammomac Well-Known Member

scratch the 98 and look for a 99 or newer.

the 97 and 98s had the 885 motor, in 99 it stepped up to the 955, other than that there were no real changes so you might as well get a bigger motor

Mac

10. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

Go with the Triumph!

I've been racing my 02 Daytona since March of 02 and the bike is built really well. Service has been a breeze with
    1 valve check (300 miles) and one valve adjustment this winter along with oil changes. The only repair has been to replace the countershaft seal. Pretty low maintenance for over 4,000 race miles to date! The S3 has basically the same motor as the Daytona but the seating position is a little kinder to the wrists and back.

I will admit to being bias. I'm part owner of the www.BackRoadsTriumph.com shop :D

11. timspeed

timspeed Well-Known Member

I have been at a Ducati shop for more than five years now and have sold many monsters. I have yet to get a complaint from a customer on the service quality or performance of their bikes. Expensive maintenance, Hardly. We also sell ans service two Japanese brands and the service bills are very close. Yes, the superbikes do cost a little more to be worked on but that's because they have two times as much stuff in the way when they have to do a valve adjustment. That's the cost of having the narrow framework that makes a Ducati handle so well. As for the Monster, valves are not as hard to get to and prices on service reflect that. There are some shops that monopolize having Ducati service and up their prices but you should always check multiple dealerships for rates.

If the resale price is low, don't you think there is a reason?? There have only been a few monsters sold through here used and they have all kept a good value.

There is a nationwide sale right now. I think it is because the long winter and somewhat shakey economy in the last few months has left us with year end 02 invintory. Ducati made it an event.

Check out our sale prices at

www.koups.com

12. mwike

mwike Well-Known Member

Monsters rock. I had one for a year before I totaled it near Deal's Gap. In that year I put over 10,000 miles on it and loved it. I'm short (5'6") so that may be why it fit me so well.

13. timspeed

Plus, a lot of companies make a lot of really cool stuff for the monsters. Performance related and dress-up. I just don't see that many options available for the tri-lumps.

14. Bruce Brown

The Triumph S3 doesn't need the performance related parts because it already kicks the monster in the teeth with tons more power :D

15. mwike

mwike Well-Known Member

Horsepower, like size, doesn't matter.:p

16. Bruce Brown

Just don't ask the women what they think :D

Point noted on the serious side. I enjoy racing my 50hp MZ Skorpion and the 130hp Daytona but for different reasons.

17. timspeed

Sounds to me like the only kick in the teeth is the withering value of your speed turtle.

18. complxd

what will a normal maintenance bill run me on a m620 or m750?

19. daytona

Bruce could probably give you more numbers on the service side from a dealer stand point for the Triumph. I can give you a little taste of the Warranty side on average per bike our Warranty cost is about $100.+-. Not to shabby considering a 2 year Warranty. Valve checks are every 12k miles oil change if you use the Triumph oil are every 6k miles so do the math there also.
    :)

John

20. timspeed

What exactly is the customer getting for this "warranty cost"? Is that a maintenance without valves or a full valve tune-up? Warranty usually means it's covered and paid for by the factory.

There have been a few customers trying to trade those bikes in at our local shops with no luck after their Triumph dealers refused them on trade.

Ducati has a two year warranty period also.