1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPEED B Team (non spoiler)

Discussion in 'General' started by Zanyeights, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Just finshed watching the racing...great racing I thought.

I don't understand why SPEED insists on sending their "B" Team to cover the races. Blatant Screw ups:
    -Missed the start of the F.E. Race. Showed coverage from the Blimp. What kinda crap is that.
    -Last lap of the F.E. when 1st and 2nd are undetermined they hold the cameras on the second pack through the chicane. You had no idea what was going with 1 and 2. When they cut back they (1 and 2) were almost at the line.
    - Start of the Superstock race they had the cameras (point of view) on row two...when you see Jason Pridmore jump the start...but another important person jumped the start as well but you couldn't see it because you were at row two.
    - Ski and Drebber both screwed up the Hayden brothers positions repeatedly. Very frustrating.

Props to Despain for catching his mistake when he mixed the Bostrom Brothers up and to Ralph Shaheen. Even though he is not as Motorcyle savvy as the rest, his professionalism (no doubt due to his extensive NASCAR experience) and excellent interview presence at least lends some credibility to the dreadful production.

That said...THE RACING WAS AWESOME!!!!!

2. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Yes, I noticed this and was think WTF are they showing the 2nd pack for when the two leaders are just about to cross the line, especially at Daytona when anything can happen in the draft in the last miliseconds of a race.:confused:

3. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Well, I can speak from experience that when you have identical bikes, and the numbers on the bikes are as they were, (difficult to see) it's very easy to make that mistake. Being up in the booth, I'm guessing they are relying a lot on the actual camera shots for commentary. You can't see that closely from the booth high atop the speedway. Even at best, from what I could tell, it was difficult to see the numbers on the bikes on TV. I was trying to follow it myself. It's one thing watching it and hearing it. It's another watching it and talking about it. It gets busy up there. ;)

Hey, at least the last names were correct! :Poke:

4. Zanyeights

I understand and I am not so frustrated now...but I watch every NASCAR race and those guys very seldom make mistakes. Those races are up to four hours long. I just feel like motorcycle racing get's the short end of the stick. I undersatnd market share but to not put forth the effort (I am referring to SPEED TV) that they do for the NASCAR boys bothers me...I mean to miss the start of the race???

Tommy's leathers had an orange back and they kept discussing it from Jason D's point of view. I didn't have too much problem following the race but again...I don't have all that stuff to follow.

Don't the MOTO GP gent's call the race from the camera's? Those guys make very fwe mistakes...just an observation.

See you at Jennings!!

5. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Those MOTO GP announcers kick ass.

6. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

You don't like, turn it down.

I'm very thankful the race was on because without Speed, I would not have seen the race.

They give y'all live coverage on every race and you still complain!:rolleyes:

7. sqidd

sqidd Well-Known Member

Whats up with "Lay off the brakes"? If I hear SKI say that one more time I'm going to puke. You would think it was the secret to going fast.

"Hey man lap times kinda slow?......Well LAY OFF THE BRAKES"

8. Zanyeights

You are absoutely correct. I just hate the fact that Motorcycle RoadRacing is treated as a third class event. I never see the mistakes that where made today on Televised Supercross events, SCCA events, Barber Ddoge Racing or other none mainstream racing...even the Lawnmower races they catch the start! lol

Your optimism is always incredibly refreshing Laurie. Good luck to you and Lee this year.

PS...remember how Drebber prounounced your last name the WHOLE 2000 GNF?

PSS Drebber...please don't take personal offense to any of these comments...its just about QA (Quality Assurance).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  9. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

I SAY LAY OFF SPEED!

They are trying like HELL to get people to watch. They showed final qualifying for the Superbike Race! AWESOME! They would have had ten times the viewers had they showed a repeat of BNS 24/7!

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Paging Mr. Rilla!

Mr. G. O. Rilla!

You'll have to stop makin' sense if you want to go with the flow here...

;)

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I'm just glad they showed it:clap: anyone else notice that there where only a few hundred people at the speedway to watch it:(

12. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

OK, then actually covering the leaders running to the finish line would go a long way toward that goal. The Formula Extreme coverage was sad in that regard. The leaders are nose-to-tail coming into the chicane, setting up yet another Daytona draft to the finish. But instead of showing the excitement, Speed shows the pack dicing for third. And then continues to show that same bunch in all the replays. When they finally cut back to the leaders, DuHamel had opened a big gap and the drama was over. We'll never know what happened between the chicane and start/finish. Cover the leaders for 14.5 laps and then cut away in the last half lap.

That's just blown coverage. Yeah, they showed 2.5 hours of live coverage yesterday. That's the good part. They also made lots of major screw-ups, all of which reduced the quality of the broadcast. That's the bad part. How do you build interest when they screw up the most important part of the race?

13. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

talked to dave Sadowski for about 15 mins on pit road.He is so friggin nice>talked about his kids new r6 ect....

Also said fx/superstock is now one show split in half.

better than nothin........

14. K.Lancaster

K.Lancaster Well-Known Member

Laurie, I'm with ya girlfriend!!!
    Its a heck of a lot better than watching the puter screen make its updates, surfing, and waiting on a phone call!

15. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

how many SCCA, Barber Dodge or Supercross events are televised *LIVE*? I don't remember to many of them. Listen to the roundy-round races and see how many times they fsck up and call it Winston Cup instead of Nextel Cup during the season. There is a reason the talking heads have NEXTEL is big letter taped onto the mirrors of their hotel rooms (yes, I know this for a fact). Live TV isn't like doing voice over for taped content. I agree that Sadowski has some issues with his race calls I cant think of a lot worse ex-racer types who can sit in that seat and say things much worse than "cross-up wheelie coming out of eight" or "lay off the brakes" or just not say anything constructive or worthy at all.

Complaints about what is being shown on air isn't the talking heads problem, that's the producer's problem so complain to him and not Drebber and Ski about it. Oh yeah, and at least they are showing it as Mrs. Acree said. Lord knows if I had to watch that simple little Flash application all day I'd be beating my head against the wall since AMA could contract us out to do much better with the same crap we use for NASCAR.

-Steve

16. Zanyeights

All your points are well taken and you are all definitely right...it's better than having nothing at all.

Just don't know if mediocrity is what we should always strive for.

See you at the track.