1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southlake, Texas? Any info

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Feb 10, 2017.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I was offered a corporate gig by a buddy. I had my choice of picking offices in either San Diego, Southlake, TX or Carmel, IN. I know Carmel, my wife's office she works for remotely is there and we visited it last year. I doubt I will take the position, but I want to play it out a bit to see if it makes sense financially.

I know a bit about San Diego, having an Uncle that lived in Chula Vista.

Anyone know anything about Southlake? The kind of people there, things to do, terrain fun for road cycling? Kayaking (I see some fair sized lakes all around), being that close to Dallas?

Pros/Cons? Thanks in advance.

2. caferace

caferace No.

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Its close to Fonda, Panther and Orvis. Not sure if that is a pro or a con though. :D

JTW, Boman Forklift and dtalbott like this.
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Fire ants...enough said. On the other hand, you can wear cowboy boots and a ten gallon hat...Yeehaw! Say hello to JR for me. :flag:

5. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Southlake is not far from where I live, and It's a nice area. Not to far from Dallas or Fort Worth and close to two major airports.

Boman Forklift and panthercity like this.
  6. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Cali is trying to leave the US, TX can leave the US...and IN is kinda boring.

Good luck with the decision!! :D

DrA5 likes this.
  7. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Carmel IN is a nice place as far as Midwestern burbs go. San Diego is at the top of my list but real estate prices make it a pipe dream. I almost moved to The Woodlands TX a couple of years ago but it just didn't give the feeling I needed, and I live outside of St. Louis!

8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

ASH?

DrA5 likes this.
  9. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Ding ding.

I wanted San Diego for my sea kayaking and surf ski paddling. My wife said no way to SD. She hates the cost of living out there. Cycling may be an issue in Carmel (Flat) and San Diego (traffic). Southlake does have kayaking and possibly cycling.

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:moon:
    [​IMG]

Boman Forklift and crashman like this.
  11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Myth

backbone likes this.
  12. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'm sure your pay would be commensurate with the cost of living, if you choose San Diego ;)

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Southlake is nice. Pricey, but nice. More older/earned money there. Not sure what you want your living situation to be, but a well appointed McMansion in Southlake/Carroll will start at 600K and go up rapidly. In old Southlake smallish 3/2s can be had under250K. 5 minutes east in Grapevine you can get a decent 20-year-old 3000sq/ft 3/2 or 4/3 for 300K. If you want under 200K, you're looking 15 minutes (and a different world) South at Hurst-Euless-Bedford. If you want acreage, you have to go to the other side of the lake to Flower Mound (30 minute commute). BIG acreage, Argyle-Justing-Northlake(45-1hour commute)

As for things to do... It's Texas. You can do damn near anything here. Kayaking on the lake, no rapids around here, so there's that... unless you count kayaking in shitwater on the Trinity but no way I'd do that. There's bicyclists fucking galore clogging up the roads already, so if you plan to do that shit, stay the hell away!! ;)

15. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Some awesome cougar hunting in Southlake. Carmel is a nice place too.

jonathanp and TX Joose like this.
  16. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Auminer hit it pretty good. I used to live in North Richland Hills and also Euless. My lady worked in Southlake so I spent some time there. It's a nice area with everything you need, you can still have your space while being conveniently close to a big city. Cycling is big out there

17. jpence

jpence Well-Known Member

South Lake is nice. You can easily live within 20min for fairly cheap. Dfw has a nice climate and is close to quite a few tracks. But the tracks in tx are pretty rough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

18. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

There is cycling here all over... Hell you could probably go cycle with elbows racing

19. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

As a cyclist I'd say it's a no brainer:

SD - expensive
    Indiana- winters
    TX - pretty sweet.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Living in Orange County, with kids that go to school pretty close to Southlake, I would probably go with Southlake. I worked in Roanoke/Southlake and own the first house I ever bought in Flower Mound. I like the DFW metroplex and could probably live there again.

I think a big part of your decision is how important is nice weather to you and how much will you make? To give you an idea, the little 1500 sq ft brick house, 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car attached garage I bought in Flower Mound for $68K in 1987 is now worth $150-190, I would guess. That same house out here would have to be worth $600K, I imagine.

Texas has no state income tax, however property taxes are very high. I had a house in Lakeway, Tx. just outside Austin before I was married. I think my property taxes were almost 3%, out there, in California they are generally 1.1-1.3% range, but we have high state income taxes.

People in Texas are very nice, at least compared to California, the Northeast, even the Midwest, where I grew up.