1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soda Blaster

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 70yamahaR5, Mar 13, 2013.

1. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

So I've got a frame and swing at the local soda blaster and the price is reasonable, but I'm pondering buying my own like this one from Eastwood:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-soda-blaster.html

I've never used one, so does anyone have any advice on pros and cons? I'm particularly interested in the cost of the soda media and how much would typically be used to do a frame.

I like that they are green, don't damage the metal and you don't have to mask off areas to be protected.

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I'd love to have one but the compressor to keep up with it is pricey as well. The common oil less diaphragm type wont keep up for long, 10CFM is a minimum.

3. TJS

TJS 1994 GSXR 750 and Bandit 400

Soda goes everywhere! The wind will carry it far! Set up a tarped in area and wear: high grade filter, goggles, faceshield, gloves, long sleeves....

I have a top fill soda blasting gun and it has been great for small jobs.

4. southsidejack

southsidejack Well-Known Member

You can use a typical pressurized sand blaster with soda but it isn't efficient and the soda will klump alot if you don't have a good air dryer.
    You can also buy a kit for wet blasting. If you already have a good power washer the kit comes with a hopper, hose and a nozzle for your sprayer. Eliminates the dust and klumping issue.

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Rick, there was a good thread with alot of info on the topic over in general recently.....I'm sure a search will find it.

Soda is a very mild abrasive.

To get set up right will cost bucks....around 1,000...especially to do frames....and that by no means is cadallic.

find that other thread, you will like it.....very informative.

6. 70yamahaR5

Thanks guys, good advice. I think I'll just have a professional do this work, as the little I would use it won't justify the cost. I got the EX frame and F3 swing back yesterday and made good progress today. I just primed and painted the frame (no powdercoat for now). I think I'll have the same guy powdercoat the F3 wheels.

[​IMG]

7. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

And I thought this was a thread about those new fancy home soda making machines.

8. promod

promod Well-Known Member

for real metrick,,,you mite look at doing some of that when u can ,,thats dam good--your and their way works,,,hammerdown,,,,,,,,,,,,seeeyaaaaaaa steve...............................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. 70yamahaR5

Got a lot done in the last 48...

[​IMG]

10. promod

promod Well-Known Member

metrick--mon. i/m going to homedepot and buy a rattle can of red paint and do my wheels in red ,,dam those look good....black wheels who need em.......:FL:.............................:)

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Dang Rick, that's looking great. Get Chuck D. to give the bodywork some fresh paint and you will be stylin'.

12. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Dang...every time I make my bikes pretty....I crash...................

13. 70yamahaR5

Yes, I like them to look pretty while they're cartwheeling through the air. You should have seen the GS1000 explode in Tally T1 last August. A thing of beauty. Anytime the GoPro goes sky-ground-sky-ground AND gets the rider in the video, it's almost a work of art. :D

14. promod

promod Well-Known Member

hey..duc and rick--i understand there are no frame (bodywork)sliders you can buy for 3tj yamaha,,man i don't want to wreck the bodywork when fall,,some one out there knows where to get em,,talk to me ,,thanks,,,steve....................also for fz600 frame thanks again..........:D

15. 70yamahaR5

Thanks, Joe! Maybe someday (when I don't fall down so much) I'll spring for a real paint job, but it's rattle cans for now.

Steve, I can't help you with the sliders, sorry.

16. TJS

TJS 1994 GSXR 750 and Bandit 400

Looks Good!

17. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride