1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socilaized Healthcare is so much better than the American System

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Marcmcm, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

So much better that the Canadian Premier of Labrador and New Foundland came to the United States for his heart surgery.

Canadian Premier comes to US for surgery

This is one of my favorite parts...

2. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

That's some funny stuff there.

I guess they figured their 'plan' chased out any of the real talent that used to work in their own country, question is, if this plan gets rammed down.....where will they go then?

I seem to remember some French rocker coming here over the summer to fix what their great HC system did to him.

4. trackjunkieX

trackjunkieX Banned

Unless you know why he is being treated in the US, using this as an argument against against socialized medicine is ridiculous.

There are some rare procedures and treatments available in country of 350 million that are not going to be available in a country of 30 million regardless of the type of heath care.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. Gron4

Gron4 I'm in your house

haha I took a wrong turn...continue the nonsense

6. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

Keep telling yourself that...

You mean that superior Canadian socialized medicine can't keep up with one of the the "worst rated" healthcare systems (USA)?
    I wonder why? Maybe its the inability to spend money on research...

Maybe its too expensive in Canada and not allowable with rationed health care. Maybe he doesn't want to be held to the same standard that the common folk have to?

7. CMMFL

CMMFL Well-Known Member

Heart surgery? They don't do that in Canada???

8. trackjunkieX

trackjunkieX Banned

Is that a serious question? There hundreds of kinds of heart procedures, from the common bypass to rare exotic experimental procedures. New or rare procedures are often initially done at one facility sometimes on an experimental bases. Someone seeking a different kind of rare procedure may find it is only available in Montreal or London.

9. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

So, are you implying that all Canadians have these procedures done in the US at the cost of the money taken from all Canadian citizens by force?

Why do you use the examples of Montreal and London when it was done in the United States?

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Or maybe he's got cooties of the heart and the only cootie removal system is in Mayo Clinic. :rolleyes:

11. murf

murf Well-Known Member

many americans have gone to europe and china to get things like stem cell transplants that are not available in the usa......does that mean they have better health care than the usa?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If by better you mean lax rules with regards to experimental stuff - yes. The FDA is a wee bit too controlling on some stuff.

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

the FDA could be its own thread... If they're "too controlling" we bitch about them stifling the cutting-edge science and drugs.

If they're too lax, they approve procedures, drugs, etc. that are potentially dangerous.

part of the problem is that there's no accountability. If I make a drug, and the FDA approves it as 'safe,' but it turns out that it makes your arms fall off 10 years later, the victims sue ME, despite the fact that the FDA approved the drug.

Their purpose is protection, but they have no accountability when they're wrong... (a lot like the police.)

If my own research lead me to believe that a procedure was relatively safe, I'd consider having it done outside the US despite the FDA's objections.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty much have to agree with all of that.

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

So a COUPLE of canadians come down for a special procedure or go where specific specialities have been developed, meanwhile MILLIONS of americans suffer because of lack of coverage or of pre-existing conditions....

(Sigh)

I digress...

16. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Great Quote ^^^^

The lemmings eat it up though. If universal health care is so wonderful...congress should be on the same plan as their lowly constituents

17. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

and how many of these so-called "millions" are actually denied care :rolleyes:

18. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

So you're saying that Ohio has better medical care than ALL of Canada...that's a pretty poor standard. :Poke:

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Every single person in the United States has medical coverage. Each time that line of "no coverage for whatever made up million number" is parroted you know that person is lying.

ANYONE can go to ANY ER and get treated for ANYTHING. Is it a good thing? I don't think so, but it's there, and everyone has coverage. Stop lying about it.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

TZ, they may not have insurance, but how many are denied care. I have a very good friend whose husband just had major surgery, including quite a few days in the hospital and some in ICU. No insurance, no means to pay. Didn't stop him from being able to get care and it wasn't an ER admission.