1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So whose would you avoid?

Discussion in 'General' started by OldGuyOnBlu, Jul 10, 2013.

1. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

Leathers that is.

I need a new suit, I know what I would like to get, but it is near the top of the price scale. I've been looking at a lot of different brands, some seem to have quality suits that might save a few hundred.
    I'm not so much looking for recommendations of what to get, but what suits and or brands to not get.

2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

It's not so much a brand/suit model thing. Many cheap suits (aka Pakistani no name throw-togethers) simply will not last more then a single crash, if that.

The main thing is to not buy any suit without looking at it in person first. How's the stitching? Is it at least double-stitched with decent thread, and a limited number of panels sewn together for each major component? Does the leather overlap/butt together correctly on seams so as to protect the stitching from blowing apart?

Can you remove the armor to inspect it and make certain it's decent quality and held in place tightly?

I've ridden/raced in all types - everything from a 'low-end' Fieldsheer suits to a 'high end' A-star; it's not so much the name on the side as the quality of construction, imo. I have an older Fieldsheer with four good 'offs' on it - other then some minor repairs, the suit's been great and the leather's held up...that's not the 'reputation' of the brand, mind - though the leather is thicker then most. I also have an A-Star that blew an arm seam apart after a minor low side.

So, what could be decent suits for a reasonable price nowadays? Speed and Strength has some good stuff out, imo. Also seen some Joe Rockets take crazy crash abuse, too.

But walk away from the sub-$500 suits with the overly flashy color/graphic combos. Just being covered in cool-looking leathers with crap stitching doesn't make you safe :)

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

You can't go wrong with an A*. Look in the Riders Discount section of this board. They always have good/great deals on top of the line suits.

5. When it comes to protective gear, I don't stray far from Alpinestars, Dainese or Knox. As long as I do that, I figure I can't go wrong. STG has suits from other companies that are also good, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

6. killa kali

killa kali Well-Known Member

just buy a Bilt suit ;)

7. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

My first one was a Teknic. Was nice. Took crashes well. Now I have a custom made Syed.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A*, Dainese, any off the rack. . . Hooey! Got enough money? go full on custom. NJK, Syed, Vanson, Z custom.

9. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

Teknic actually makes a pretty decent cheap suit, that handles some decent crashes. Or you can just bite the bullet and get a custom suit made for $1600 from Pilot Leathers, or Arsenal Leatherworks. I only went to a custom fit suit because nothing on the rack fit me right.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Teknic is el dead-o. Buy a suit if you can find one 'cause there won't be any more (or so the last word was).

11. I like the Dainese Kangaroo suits. They are softer, more comfortable and very light. I am currently wearing the Trickster.

This post has absolutely nothing to do with the OP. :crackup:

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If I was buying and going to get off the rack there are two brands at the top of the list: Kushitani and RS Taichi. Japanese leather on both (although the Brazilian moo moo covering is almost as good).

13. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

Yeah i forgot that they went out of business, but have still seen some on the racks. RS Taichi are really nice, but again they don't fit my beer gut right. WTH is japanese leather, isn't it just roo hide? Atleast that is what it feels like, roomate just picked one up.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Japanese leather is just the leather from japanese cows and the way it's tanned and treated. It feels like leather, butter and awesome. Crashes great. Not as light as 'roo but still pretty light.

Barnacle Bill will make you a suit that will survive a direct hit from an A bomb and not break the bank. Only drawback is weight.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Barnacle Bilt? :D

16. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I got the best of both worlds. I bought a used rs taich (saved tons of cash) and have a top of the line suit IMO regarding protection. Next to new suits on classifieds all the time. That being said, check out riders discount on the beeb, he throws down some sick prices!

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

stg has a sale on the rs tiachi japaneese leather suits right now, they are almost a 1000.00 off list. i love my tiachi.

plus that will get you several entries for the give away bike. Ski

18. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

When I got my kushitani suit I thought about kicking the wife out of bed and sleeping with them. They are so soft.

19. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I've been enjoying a custom sized suit this year, made by Comet Leathers. After struggling around in 3 different off the rack suits over the years, it's been great having something that fits me properly. Karl at Comet offered great customer service for me and was very prompt in getting back to me, unlike some manufacturers. He was also very helpful in making any changes I wanted done to the suit.

Fitment is one of the most important parts of the suit, whatever you go with.

20. i wish alpinestars would have the option for custom suit sizing and design. i want to buy an airbag suit but nothing off the rack comes close to fitting.