1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who's gotten furloughed?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Apr 3, 2020.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

What the fuck? We have to bring our own fucking shovels to lean on?

I’m filing a fucking grievance!

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I can dress like a cop and stand there looking down into any holes you dig.

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Yesterday they added 4 more weeks of furlough on top of the 4 we'd already had mandated. Has to be completed by the end of July.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Just bet you could.

upload_2020-4-10_21-7-46.jpeg

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Non-union, makes us unique. Guarantee there are no 'shovel leaners' in our company. Turnover rate is crazy high. Most simply can't handle the work and hours. About $100k in wages in less than 9 months of work. No 9 am and 2 pm 15 min smoke breaks here.. I usually eat mondays lunch on thursday.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The Big B informed me yesterday that I am eligible for a Voluntary Layoff (VLO) with certain conditions (one of which is no priority recall rights). Discussed it with my wife and decided to "ride it out." Today (not 24 hours later) they announced 10% workforce reduction via Involuntary Layoff (ILO). I will know more by the end of this month. Sigh.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I got one guy I'm fixing to have to shitcan.

Here's hoping the beerSARS Depression will bring me a higher quality replacement candidate than has been available recently. Negative unemployment really sucks when you're trying to hire!!

8. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Patheon (Thermo Fisher Scientific) In Cincinnati Ohio for one... My sister is a Pharm. Chemist managing one of the Manufacturing Quality Labs... Hell they offered me an industrialization job while I am on Furlough from the Automotive manufacturing facility I work at (apparently another white eleplant)

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just had the chat..... I have one project left to finish, then that's it for me. We've got a lot of work in the holster, but with no automotive stamping plants running parts, it's all on hold until?? We did have one long term firearm project running that was in the middle of a design change, and I was getting ready to make all the new fixturing and programming for, but with our recent firearm reclassification, that just disappeared with the stroke of a pen too.....shitty. Was a really interesting job I was looking forward to. I've been losing money only working 20-30 hours the last couple weeks anyway (instead of going on EI), but was really hoping things would start to open back up and we could have weathered the storm.

Weather is getting nicer, so I'm looking forward to spending some more time with the kids doing some of the outdoor projects around the house I've been putting off for the last 10 years. Trying not to dwell on the fact that this could be the end of a very prosperous 12 year run here.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That's well said. Curious to see what the other side of this looks like.

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

probably similar to the other side of 2008

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

My wife's gotta go back to work Monday, starting the plant back up. We were hoping she'd be laid off longer, we're one of the examples of coming out ahead with her being laid off with the extra money from the fed. Guess that gravy train is over. :(

13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Every end leads to another beginning, or some other motivational shit like that. Unless it's THE end, which it isn't. :D. Chin up, move forward.

I'm also curious about what's on the other side of this. My industry has been getting HAMMERED the last few years by the country at the root of this, so, to say there is a lot people looking to bring stuff back here is an understatement. The buck has to come from somewhere though.....

That's my thinking as well. 2008 thinned a lot of older non competitive companies from our industry (I worked for a few, and went lifeboat to lifeboat....), and some young ones like the one I work for really started to thrive in that environment. 2019 was the first slow year we've had since I started in 2008. We started to pick up near the end of 2019 and get our teeth into some aerospace stuff, and the firearm market, and 2020 was looking like it was going to be a good year......

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the spring vacation I've never been able to take because we're always so busy this time of year. After I get this job done of course....Or the phone rings with another order.....

cpettit likes this.
  14. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

This was the last week of the original plan, but got a call Wednesday they added 4 more weeks (til 6/6). Racing back just in time to take advantage of this extended vacation. :beer: