1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yep, LOL.

brex likes this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yet when it was for sale, it was a pristine, lightweight instant classic, that was so amazing, I’m surprised I’m giving you this amazing deal? :D

I think I saw a picture of it. @ChemGuy wanna buy a bike?

brex and motion like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I thought we were riding in September? I already bought my ticket!

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaha. Weren’t you a salesman before, don’t you know merely suggesting something doesn’t mean the deal is closed?

I’m not retired, I still work 50-70 hours a week.

motion likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

tree fiddy?

:D

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My kid is a definite maybe for a ride in September. Lets get Tyler going with his motorcycle license.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

1989 transalp - 583cc 55hp @ 8000rpm 428lb wet
    1998 AT RD07 - 742cc 62hp@ 7500rpm 481lbs wet
    2022 Tenere 700 - 689cc 73hp @ 9000rpm 452lbs wet

Since they never officially brought the old AT's to the US you can get a TA and swap over some parts (tank, fairing, swing arm, wheels, forks) and basically build one or gray market the older ones.

Anyone ride a TA compared to a newer T700 type?

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Well I also have a T700. It has a lot more power, but weight feels similar because its up so high on the T7. Wayyyyy too heavy for my liking. Once its loaded up with all my gear, I don't like taking it in crazy places. I'm usually riding alone, so I have to be careful.

Once a Wanker.. and ChemGuy like this.
  9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I sold my T7 for this very reason.

motion likes this.
  10. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

What do you reckon is the percentages road vs. trails (off-road)?

11. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I was told it was pretty close to 50/50, and I'd say that's pretty close.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I had an RD07 I bought in Scotland, rode thru Europe and sold in Wales. A good road bike and occasional gravel road bike, suitable for two up with bags, but a heavy, unwieldy pig for real offroad work. Sure, Pol Torres or some other bike-magician could make it work in real offroad terrain, but they are not mortal. An RD07 in real offroad terrain will immediately make you aware of your mortality.

Cheers,

Dave

motion likes this.
  13. Once a Wanker..

Bringing this discussion over here to continue, with a question, from the 'Down sizing ( getting rid of stuff)' thread.
    My future son in law, and long-time part of the family is trying to figure out what dual-sport might suite his various 'needs' as he continues to increase his skills. He just began riding about 2 years ago, surprising us all by taking the MSF class and buying a BMW 310 ADV bike. He considered buying a new Honda CRF450RL this spring, and I suggested he take some time to ride some of my friend's dirt bikes first, before pulling the trigger. Not much of that has happened, but I've also researched this more, and realize it may work for what he's looking to do. He lives at the foot-hills of the N. GA mountains, so he can easily ride to forest service roads, etc. Lots of ADV riders come to this nearby, in what is essentially his back yard.

It's hard for me to steer him away from the reliability of the CRF, to consider the more expensive KTM EXC / Husky 350 or 450. He's not really ready for the more technical single track trails yet, where the euro bikes seem to have an advantage.
    Anyone have personal experience to shed light on how the Honda compares to the Austrian street legal bikes? I do think eventually he'll own both a dual sport bike and a street bike of some type, as he's done a couple of longer rides on his 310, and often commutes a 70+ mile round-trip.

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If he's not doing single track, why not get the 690 adventure? That will do everything he wants to do with ease, and throw some supermoto wheels on that and it's a perfectly capable street bike.

I guess you haven't really explained what the 310 doesn't do for him that he's looking for in his next bike so it's hard to guess at what he's missing (other than powah, which a dual sport 350/450 isn't going to have a ton more of, tbh).

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A Beta Xtrainer might be a more entry-level way into street-legal dirt bikes. They’re lightweight, friendly powerband, compliant suspension, etc. I got my buddy onto one and he loves it for it’s ease on the trails, versus a hardcore MX-er with a plate. His was a couple years old, almost no miles, and gave $6K for it.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. Once a Wanker..

I personally would buy an Xtrainer, if I could easily tag it in GA. I much prefer two-stroke dirt bikes, with their lighter weight. In fact, I am actively still investigating legal methods of plating a bike like this.

ducnut likes this.
  17. SuddenBraking

I can't speak for GA, but here in the northeast (PA, NJ, etc.), they're actively reaching out to owners of plated dirt bikes that got plated on technicalities and rescinding those street legal titles.

They've also closed the Vermont loophole...

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. Once a Wanker..

I've read similar stuff as well.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Interesting...I just bought a '23 T7 and I guess I'm surprised just how heavy it is. I really dread dropping it and having to pick it up. I'm usually in the woodsy areas so I'm thinking I should stow a block and tackle with some rope......:po_O:(

Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.
  20. SuddenBraking

There's some tool that the other old, weak guys use on ADVrider :p

It's like a big old lever that they carry with them..........the name escapes me currently.