1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd message or email Robby Bobby and ask him if there is anything to look for.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A lot of weight, but, of everything I’ve read on them, people love them. They say they’re fantastic on the road. Reliable, as well.

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

A lot of weight. But, plenty of power and reliable. Have fun.

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut likes this.
  4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Headed back to the KAT next weekend to check out the western side. starting in Jellico on the 9th and going clockwise, hopefully will make it to Slade in a few days. Will be on the main loop but if the weather cooperates will try some of the "hard" sections. I'll be on the 950 with some friends on a variety of bikes (another 950, a 350, 525 and the other guy is debating on his DR650, 950 or 590).

Got to ride my new (to me) 500 this saturday on some fun trails in north GA. Wet and slick, but the bike did fine. Getting more used to it after a couple of rides. Should be a nice companion to the 950 for tougher terrain.

[​IMG]

rd400racer and Britt like this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun. I'd like to join you but I sold the DR this weekend. Bring ice...it's supposed to be real hot in KY next weekend.

Where's Roy! I'm waiting to hear his T7 review. Probably out riding the damn thing:D

roy826ex likes this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You didn't keep that too long. Just wasn't doing it for you ?

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Combination of no time to go, nobody to go with and didn't know the area that we'll myself to use this bike properly made me say later.

I'm going to admit something and it's hard; the allure of the adventure seduced me more than the reality. I'm not really into rides such as the KAT etc. If I ride a bike in the woods, I want it to be my YZ for a couple hours and then I'm good, let's drink some beers. I don't want to slog on a trail for hours on end.

That said, I still love my GSA. I'll do normal off road stuff for a bit and the ergonomics of the bike feel perfect.

Sometimes it's best to admit you don't like something rather than try to convince yourself you do.

8. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

40D38DBF-1AF5-41BB-87B1-7C3A579DD2E7.jpeg C213DFB2-8412-48D3-8523-86F50A19E82A.jpeg
    You guessed right lol I’ve been riding it pretty fair amount. It’s a really nice motorcycle. Very well thought out and engineered very well. Easy to work on and take apart. Air filter and battery very easy to get to with only the seat removed. Suspension for me is about perfect. Little to much compression stiffness but I usually get that on any bike at my weight. Springs are achieving proper sag stock with me on it. I’ve been busy trying to decide how little I can add to it and if I do add anything is it beneficial to keeping the bike light as I can. I’m not even adding a centerstand to it. That’s 10 lbs I’ll use the aluminum stick prop method if I get a flat. I can tote the aluminum prop rod under the seat and it weighs nothing. Or simply call AMA roadside to come get me off the side of the road.

Its a tall girl for sure only the balls of my feet are on the ground but the bikes so narrow and light I do not feel intimidated by it like I do on the Africa Twin. The Yamaha parallel cross plane twins are way smoother and tractable than Honda’s version in the AT. The fueling on it is pretty good no snatchy throttle. I love the simplicity of the gauges and controls. Everything you need and no gadget BS to complicate matters. I’ve only rode it off road on my property but it was very easy to ride off road and front end comes up as easy as a dirtbike does.

I’m glad I chased one down to buy this year.

malamute, cBJr, bullockcm and 2 others like this.
  9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Power?

Throttle response off idle while in 1st gear and doing figure 8's standing on the pegs to mimic picking your way thru a snotty trail?

Accessory ports or available leads to connect electronic gizmos?

I assume tires and wheels are tubed?

Rear sub-frame is welded piece?

What are the x-straps across the back of the seat? Stock bit or did you add that? Ability to connect a luggage plate on the ass end?

Just askin' for a friend . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

10. roy826ex

throttle response is outstanding! You can easily stand and navigate in fact this bike begs you to stand always. Clutch feel is light and the engine will just lug along easily in 1st gear which I think is rather tight. It easily starts off in 2nd gear on the street.

it has one 12v power socket to the left of gauges. Probably a 2 amp fuse in it so gps, phone charging about it. On right side directly across it has a rubber plug cap over a hole which could be used for another socket or USB port.

Yes tires are tubed and comes with Pirelli scorpion STR rally’s. I’ve ran them in AT and I don’t like them very much. Ok but not great. Oh and brembo brake calipers front and rear.

yes rear subframe is welded. Passenger pegs I removed already. The x on seat is a pair of rok straps I added for now. Yes plenty of tail rack options out there which some include passenger hand rails. Plenty of hard luggage options as well. None of which I’ll be doing. Once Altrider developed a rear tail rack I may look into that. Adventure Spec makes a really trick all aluminum tail rack with grab bars that’s like only 3-4 lbs total. It’s about all I’d need just for a tail bag with a tube in it and a few tire tools. Fair amount of space of both seat halves.

Hope those answers were clear. I’m still learning the bike myself. Yamaha sells a complete line of accessories for it at a Yamaha price.

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Thank you. Nice bike. I need to ride one . . . then again, no I don't.

Cheers,

Dave

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Love the KAT. Have fun. (also, your pic didn't load for me)

gt#179 likes this.
  13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I dunno, Id like to
    Ride one to see how it is but it doesn’t seem like much ahead of the Little V Strom to me. Certainly isn’t on par with the 790 for the riding I do. JMO

15. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

So who has the Hook up on a KTM 790 adventure R? None seem to be in stock locally.
    I think the Yamaha T700 and the KTM 790 are a few steps up from the Vstrom.

duggram and roy826ex like this.
  16. roy826ex

Been gone riding and glamping the past 6 days with my Africa Twin and my Suzuki GSX-S1000. Left the T7 at home but this nice Leo Vince muffler arrived while I was gone. I put it on late last night. Nice sound and dropped a few lbs. nice quality fit and finish. Currently shopping for nice LED blinkers to get rid of the ugly oem orange ones along with a tail tidy to ditch the big rear fender.
    2E89140B-86D8-4D83-80E0-431811814DC2.jpeg

malamute likes this.
  17. roy826ex

18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Yeah but i want that old school color! I'll get the black or blue though.

roy826ex likes this.
  19. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

There's an outfit in Australia that produces wraps for the 700 in maybe 30-40 liveries. You can get that rally wrap and the classic yellow with black block stripe. And like Roy says everything else is available from OEM. I've got most of it now plus some racks. My bike will be for traveling long distance.

20. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I found some LED blinkers with T700 adapters on Amazon. It would be nice if the are quality.

roy826ex likes this.