1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what were some fast lap times at Mid Ohio?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by evilhordewannabe, Jul 27, 2002.

1. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

I just wanted to see how slow I was, but please go easy on me. On Sunday in F-500 I ran 3 laps in the 1:57's when I had open track in front of me. (After the fast guys ran off from me). What kind of laps did you guys run there?

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

hummm...

You could hear a pin drop...

This may end up being long, bear with me.

I was watching the racing on sunday & took a few times, I'm new to ahrma so the classes may or may not be correct.

Took some times on Harsh on his 350 honda, not sure if it was 350 sportsman or 500. He ran on my watch in order, 1.56.28, 1.54.1, 1.54.1, 1.52.1, 1.51.8 Was very impressed, on drums brakes no less, like I said, very impressed.

Took some times of racing buddy Todd Narduzzi (spelling?) ahrma #236 Fasttrax #507 He ran 1.56's in 500 sportsman on my watch, finished 4th I think. He went faster during fasttrax Lite twins race, In order, 1.54.270, 1.54.163, 1.55.087, 1.55.047, 1.55.273. Timing by Mirage Timing & Scoring

Spargo in ahrma F500 race, Didn't copy them down but took times & watched entire race, Ran something like a high1.48 something, backed off to 1.52's & then wicked it back up with another high 48 at the end. Seemed to be toying around with the guy who finished 2nd, can't really tell you what I based that on, just seemed to be there (The Times) when he wanted them. He was at the front or 2nd with no traffic.

Gary Raft # 717 350 honda, ran ahrma but times are from Fasttrax Lite twins race. In order, 1.58.708, 2.00.784, 1.59.836, 1.58.007, 1.56.405. Times by Mirage Timing & Scoring

Didn't get any times on Tim # 309 but he was flying on both bikes

3. evilhordewannabe

Thanks for the info Lizard

Like I said, I just wondered how far off the pace I was. If Spargo was running 1:48, I have a LONG way to go...Thanks

4. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Thanks for the info Lizard

With Spargo everyone has a long way to go!

Bob

5. lizard84

Now come on guys, thats not the way to be.

He & his times were impressive but with the hp numbers being thrown about for that RD, thats right where I would expect his times to be when not being pushed. He a very fast rider on a very fast Vintage bike but he's not a superman. Treating him or anyone as untouchable only makes them so...

But what the hell do I know....

Last edited: Jul 28, 2002
  6. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

passing two tz350g's on the outside of turn9 at sav this year with
    knee down bike full tilt and sliding. its pretty dam close. plus he does this every where. he is definietly not being challenged yet.

7. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

I got word the Triumph was 1.48's by myself and the HD was a little faster.Tim

8. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

:eek: :D :eek:

9. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

He seems most challenged by things like keeping the seat bolted on... :p

( Sorry man, they set that one up too well. :D :D :D )

10. evilhordewannabe

When I heard that was Spargo's tailsection in the middle of the track, I was actually encouraged because it was still moving around a little when I came by... I figured I was hot on their trail, and closing in...or not.
    I don't know if he is unbeatable or not, but both Chris Spargo and Tim Joyce seem to be pretty nice guys at the track, to be as fast as they are. I just think it's cool that the fast guys take the time to answer questions from the newguys (like me). There does not seem to be a lot of ego envolved with either of them.

11. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

times

My times did vary because of need and traffic, but in the 350 race on Saturday every race lap was a 51. That track takes some time to get down probably- so dont worry.

12. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Thanks for the info Lizard

Not meaning to over look the abilities of a Buff Harsh, Mark Morrow or Tim Joyce etc....

What I meant to say was:

With Spargo most of us have a long way to go!

13. lizard84

Re: times

The track does take some time to get down & gearing is key, a little to tall is not bad but if your running out of rev's between the dog leg & the braking markers on the long back straight it will hurt your times.

14. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

We don't always agree Bob but you are 100%right about this. Your mind set is going to make or break your race.you have to believe in yourself and your machine. TIM

15. Christopher Spargo

Christopher Spargo Well-Known Member

Truth Hurts. ;-)

You guys have to remember I've been riding and developing that bike for almost seven years now, and was blessed with a super-reliable powerplant almost from the word go. It handled like crap when I started, and has slowly gotten better and better. I picked up 2 seconds a lap everywhere I went when I switched from Avons to Dunlops. No lie.

Still, this was my first time winning the F500 race at ohio, and it meant a hell of a lot to me after last year (after breaking my shoulderblade and collarbone in the backfield between 7 and 8, steve rapp style). I was 3 seconds slower this year than last year, I couldn't really even use the same gearing. Admittedly, last year I was also completely insane. :D Just seemed to me I somehow screwed myself every year, and got more determined year after year until I was ready to pop when the green flag dropped. This year I was a little more cool-headed about it, and it payed off. Curiously enough, just the day before last year's incident, I'd recieved a stern warning about over-riding from my teammate Glen. Guess he was right.

Buff is right, it takes YEARS to really get used to Mid-Ohio. It's probably my favorite track because of it, though. Between the pavement changes, off cambers, blind corners, and total lack of a straightaway to collect your thoughts, it's pretty overwhelming. Just makes it that much more rewarding when you start getting it right.

You guys shouldn't talk about me like this, I won't be able to get my helmet on anymore. I'll get complacent and forget to bolt my motor in or something... :D

Spargo

16. Christopher Spargo

F750

Didn't get any times on Tim # 309 but he was flying on both bikes

I'm pretty sure he and Dave Fulkerson were doing 1:48s for most of the F750 race...

cjs

17. Christopher Spargo

Re: Re: times

I have to disagree a little bit - depending on your gearbox, you may be better off geared that way. I found that I needed a little shorter gearing to get throught the infield well, and the extra acceleration down the straight somewhat makes up for the lack of ultimate top speed. Unless it's someplace with a HUGE straightaway like Brainerd or Daytona, I don't really consider top speed anymore when trying to figure out gearing (within reason, of course). Droning out of two corners in the infield will certainly cancel any advantage you had on the straight...

18. lizard84

Re: Re: Re: times

_?c?Originally posted by Christopher Spargo [/i]

I have to disagree a little bit - depending on your gearbox, you may be better off geared that way. I found that I needed a little shorter gearing to get throught the infield well, and the extra acceleration down the straight somewhat makes up for the lack of ultimate top speed. Unless it's someplace with a HUGE straightaway like Brainerd or Daytona, I don't really consider top speed anymore when trying to figure out gearing (within reason, of course). Droning out of two corners in the infield will certainly cancel any advantage you had on the straight...
    [/QUOTE]

Really depends if you off, or way off. I came to Mid-O after changing a motor. The new one was a 499cc Graver loaner motor (which won't mean anything to you if you don't ride a GS but if you do, your most likely hip...) that had lots of time in the head & a larger lift cam then I had ever ran before. I didn't have alot of gearing but on a best guess type deal went one tooth up in the front.

Still wasn't enough, not any over rev on the GS, top ends not really a problem but cranks & rods do have a habit of talking back. Lost what felt like was loads of time holding steady rpm to keep motor together from past the dog leg to my braking point. After my downshifts from that point, a taller gear would have been just the ticket too & save me a shift at the last turn.

Safe to say, given the same state of tune next year, I'll be dropping a tooth or two on the rear.

Seat time at this track means alot, the more years the better. It never fails to thrill...

19. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

can you guys really talk yourself into rolling off before your braking zone because you're over reving the motor? Drop a tooth and shift more :eek:

20. lizard84

I can when its not my motor :eek:

every rider/bike combo has there own setup likes & gearing requirements. what works for one does not always work for someone else.

Way I see it, for me, drop 2 & end up shifting less.

I've been racing Nelson for 15 years, last year I went over some old notes, decided to try taller gearing as a test during a race & dropped 4 total shifts. Ended up dropping 1.5 sec from an already front running time without pushing any harder! What a country...

It pays for me to try new combos from time to time, just because I like the way something works doesn't mean I can't still improve by trying something different.

4 stroke in your mirror is closer then it appears ;)