1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So has anyone else since tried the Tomahawk tires?

Discussion in 'General' started by GSXR600, Aug 9, 2005.

1. GSXR600

GSXR600 Well-Known Member

I had good luck with them and see they now are a banner on the board.

Anyone?

2. fatallightning

fatallightning ghost of the touge

courtesy of www.killboy.com he said he had problems with them being out of round
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. I installed a rear on a Butha a while back...beside the fact that it looked gay as all get out, the customer came back a few weeks later and said he hated the tire. Gee can't figure out why someone wouldn't like a tire that looks to be a retreaded tire lol (shaking my head)

4. fatallightning

they are retreads

5. Yah I know it is...my reply was more to why the people buying them would think a retreaded tire would be a good idea to put on their bike. lol. (again still shaking my head). To me they felt like a Dunlop tire as the carcass is hard as a rock lol.

6. Speedballer

Speedballer Banned

Even some local Tomahawk-sponsored stunters around here won't run them.
    They skid when they try to do endos, and spin when they try to wheelie.
    They got a dozen sets last year and just sold them to local guys. They tried them, and that was the end of that. That's pretty sad feedback on a tire.

I wouldnt ride w/ them on a bet :down:

7. stuman

stuman Well-Known Member

I did some testing for them a while back and the fronts worked pretty good. At the time they had a problem with the profile on the rear tire but I believe that has ben fixed.

I raced on them at Jennings and was running as high as second in class in the endurance race before my team mate had a little incedent.

I believe that the Mad Kaw guys have been having some success with them in the last few races they have done so they can't be all bad. I think that they have made some steps towards a better rear tire profile and if they get that problem resolved I'd say they should work pretty well.

8. Speedballer

Speedballer Banned

That's great that they are working on getting the bugs out of them, but I still wonder about a tire company who's initial goal was to make a 'colored' tire. :wow:

Tommahawk might have become great this past year, but I'll still stick w/ my Pirelli's and Mich's :clap:

9. rc-rick

rc-rick Well-Known Member

You know you want the red ones to match the bike so you can lay down the red darkies coming out of the turns. :D

10. fatallightning

falken tires recently came out with tires that make colored smokeout when they light up. thats all the squids needs

11. 34D

34D Banned

There was an article in Cycle News recently about mounting a set to an 05 Gixxer 1K and the BLUE tires added 16 lbs to the bike!:wow:

Needless to say they SUCK?!

12. BMWIVAN

BMWIVAN Stick wanna-be

Hearsay is the best way to formulate an opinion:Puke:

We placed second in class at Willow Springs on them, the most abusive track in the country on tires besides Daytona. An that was a NATIONAL. When was the last time you raced a National, let alone raced at all?

I personally have no problems with our colored tires on the street, having found that the feedback is good and traction is good.

What are the names and phone numbers of these "stunters" that sold tires they were supposed to be promoting? I'm sure they would love to hear from me that you are speaking on their behalf.

Yes they are retreads, and yes they can be heavier than stock tires, and yes we have in the past had some out of balance problems, which we have dealt with. This topic has been brought up a million times on the BBS.

Bottom line is if you want something different (color) we are the only ones doing it. And if you are a track day rider who wants to save a little money then we have black tires that will work just fine, and maybe even allow you to laugh at the slow guys on brand name race tires that you smoke.:up: