1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowboard trip

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave675, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Did Mt Bachelor a few years ago. Good size mountain and close to Bend Or with lots of night life. You need a car and Bend is a ways (2 hrs?) from Portland.

2. Littlehat

Littlehat Well-Known Member

PNW, fly into seattle and stay there for the nightlife and drive into the mountains. Or drive up to Vancouver and go to whistler

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez Well-Known Member

Me and my buddies love Park City/Canyons.
    It's close to the airport.
    Hell, we just Uber Ski to the resort.
    Most of the hotels in the resort have the shuttle that makes rounds. We always have our food and drink list made up prior to arrival so we know what to buy on one shopping trip and cook our own meals and drink in the hot tub after the slopes close. Decent night life. Even if you're out past the time the shuttles stop running...Uber was pretty quick.
    Definitely beats flying into Denver and renting a van for that hour plus drive. Or, even flying into to Eagle because that ain't cheap either.

4. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Driving from Denver on a Friday night or weekend to the ski resorts is the equivalent of rush hour traffic.
    Skiing on a Saturday or Sunday Keystone, Breck, Vail, Copper, Winter park will be standing in line for ~30 mins at each lift
    A-basin has been so crowded that they have been turning people away on weekends now.
    Either do the whole trip on weekdays, or go to some other resort that's far outside of Denver.

Oh and Vail lift tickets are over $200 now :crackup:

5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I just got back from 5 days at Breck. Its my favorite mountain for all around ski, nightlife, and food. If I was a snowboarder, then that's where I'd go. Great terrain parks there. I only ski there during the week though, as many have mentioned, the weekends are f'ing packed. I left Breck for Denver this past Saturday morning at 6am, and I'd say the traffic was slowed for at least 40 miles heading west. I'd never seen it that bad.

cpettit likes this.
  6. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Been many places... Big Sky was one of my favorites. I just got back from Utah and we hit Snowbird, Park City, Brighton and Solitude. I’d say snowbird was my favorite but the Saturday night in Park City was a lot of fun. We hit the distillery and a few bars and had a blast into wee hours of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

If nightlife is not of uber importance, fly into Salt Lake and rent a condo or hotel in Sandy, UT or the surrounding area. From there you can access Little or Big Cottonwood Canyons, make a modest drive to Park City / The Canyons or venture out toward Powder Mountain, etc...

I hated Park City the first time I went there and swore I would never go back, as I was a huge Alta, Snowbird fan. Buuut, went out last winter and gave it another shot since they added The Canyons and it was probably the best day that I have ever had skiing!

Vehicle rental in Salt Lake is very affordable too, not like some places where it is absurd.

8. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I have a passport. The issue is with my heath insurance. Apparently, it doesn’t cover me out of the country. I’m sure I could get some sort of travel insurance, but I don’t want to mess with it on short notice.

9. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Plus you need to be flexible with revelstoke. If there is a storm they will close down the pass and you’re either happy because you’re snowed in or pissed because you can’t get there.

10. Dave675

Looks like we are going to Park City. Any recommendations on where to stay for 3 people?

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What is your budget? Renting a car, or using transit/Uber?

12. Dave675

$400 a night for 3 people....transit/uber preferred

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You should be able to find a room at the Yarrow/Doubletree for under $400. It is just below the main base of the resort, near grocery and liquor stores. Pretty decent place. The bus system will be a really short ride to the resort (you could walk to the resort if you wanted) or up to old main street to walk those hipster shops if you're into getting annoyed with douchebags. If you're really into that, the Treasure Mountain is up top of that area and is likely in that price range as well.
    The Sweetwater is a timeshare rental type place, there is the possibility a suite might be available that time as well and around that price. That used to be slopeside until they built the Marriott next to it. That Marriott will be way over your price, the Silver King may be close. Over by the Canyons side base, there are more newish higher end places that will be out of your price as well. Don't even look at the Deer Valley end of things.
    You could stay at the north end by the outlets off I-80 for well under your price range, but would be a few more minutes down the road by bus. Still the same free city bus system, but an extra 5-10 minute ride. There are some restaurants, bars and breweries out that way as well, but again there is the free bus system to go wherever.
    Take an Uber from the airport to the hotel, the rest of your rides would be free on the bus unless you wanted a more direct/faster ride with Uber/Lyft.

14. Dave675

Thanks for the reply.

I was randomly looking at places to stay, some are $1500+ a night lol.

My brother has been sending me links to some airbnb's to look at too, but your post gives me some direction to search.