1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMO: Safety Razors

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jul 22, 2021.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Always wanted to give them a try, but would love to hear anybody who's gone from disposables to a safety razor and hasn't looked back. Pros/cons?

Recommend a setup to get a feel for the process? I see lots of setups that run pretty pricey, so would rather not go super-expensive right off the bat just to get my feet (face) wet....

2. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

Very light pressure and go slow. Keep some disposables for when you need to knock out a quick shave and for manscaping your pecker, if you’re so inclined.
    Amazon sells a variety pack and you’ll quickly find the blades you like.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

They’re nice, but time consuming (at least for me) and you will cut yourself a few times when you’re new at it. For me, I didn’t feel like the minute difference in shave quality made up for the time requirement. I have to shave everyday for work so it got tiresome. Biggest improvement in shaving for me came when I switched to Harry’s brand mail delivery blades. Nicer than any cartridge I’ve ever used, longer lasting and cheaper in the long run too. I’d never want to go back to regular store bought blades.

Senna and R Acree like this.
  4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I actually never used the disposable ones, but compared the the mach3 (my first razor) safety razors are so much better and cheaper.

I got this guy https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-...ocphy=9021549&hvtargid=pla-407594959127&psc=1

Blades make a pretty big difference, when I first started I got a variety pack and figured out which one I like best. I also use a new blade every time, they are so cheap that is worth it.

As far as shaving, its pretty quick and easy, I do one pass with the grain, re apply the shaving gel and go against the grain and done.

5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Maybe I did it wrong but I tried to make go of using a safety razor and I've never had such a bad shave and bled so much. I tried a few different blades but none came close to doing as good a job as a cartridge razor for me.

Senna likes this.
  6. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Made the switch around 6 years ago. Picked up a a $40 safety razor off Amazon and a $15-20 variety pack of blades… which is apparently a near lifetime supply. Had a few ouch learning curves, particularly with shaving my head, but would never go back now. It does take a bit longer.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Mach 3

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  8. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

You need to experiment a bit with the blade and handle combination. For me the big difference is the satisfaction of having a big substantial heavy razor instead of cheap feeling plastic.

That and you get a lifetime supply of blades for $20

9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

This is what I've been using for probably two decades now. I really can't complain about it at all other then the cartridge prices, but wasn't sure if I'm missing something by not trying something else, at least.

tony 340 likes this.
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have been using one for about the past 10 years. The blade makes a huge difference for me. I like the Gillette blades that are made in Russia. None of the Chinese made blades work well for me for more than the first shave. I get several shaves out of the Gillette. I also like the soap that I use a shaving brush with better than a gel or foam.

12. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Definitely feel a better shave with a safety razor, but the biggest reason I switched to it was I found it aggravating how quickly I'd was going through Mach 3/Hydro 5 packs of cartridges. As reasonably cheap as they are, it was just one of those reoccurring expenses that bothered me. Tried the switch and once I became comfortable with it, found a better shave, haven't had to buy blades in years, and would even state that shavings not as much of just a morning chore as before. I did have some rough accidents on my head learning how to use them though!

13. Dave Wolfe

With the grain and just glide it over your skin. Dont press down!!!

14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

3215.jpeg

Sharpen it as needed.

backbone, Sabre699 and vfrket like this.
  15. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

I'd love to have the confidence to not cut my face off with one of those, let alone have a barber put a shave on me

RichB and dtalbott like this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This was my experience, but I have very sensitive skin combined with rather coarse hair for a Euro mutt.

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Most are unable as they nicked their carotid artery. :D

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I gave up shaving for Lent. I’m not even Catholic!

19. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

two words - scar tissue

20. Dave Wolfe

These are my favorite blades I like with the same Merkur handle everyone else us recommending. These are from India.

Attached Files: