1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smallest tow vehicles

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Aug 25, 2020.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My garage and HOA situation limits me to a small folding 4x8 trailer. If i went larger, i would have to pay to store it, which just seems like a waste of money...

i need 4 seats, if not 5, so light pickups are likely out of the question.

i have been towing with my 2003 corolla. It actually doesn’t suck as much as you would think with a 300 pound trailer and a 400 pound bike.

...but i am over 222,222 miles, and would like to have a replacement planned for when the inevitable occurs.

i like toyotas. V6 Camry or V6 RAV4 are both potential options, but I’d drive another corolla if it keeps money in the racing budget. So what is the smallest or cheapest car you would daily, AND tow a small Open trailer with?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I recently picked up a low mileage Matrix from the Yota dealer I’ve dealt with since early 80s. Picked it up for the same reason as you. It’s capable of small box trailers too. We haven’t gotten a box trailer yet, but it’s in the works. Back seat folds flat enough to sleep on. My last trailer hauler was an Impreza lezbo wagon. Back seat didn’t fold completely flat, so kind of sucked to sleep in on an angle. We love the Matrix for bike hauling and sleepability

rk97 likes this.
  3. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i tow a kendon trailer with my 18 Subaru WRX. works awesome but far from cheap.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Chrysler Town and Country

lopitt85 and pickled egg like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why not a medium sized SUV? Something like a Toyoter Highlander with the 6?

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Minivan. Tows with no problem and there is room for all your stuff.

Newyork, SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But, but, but. . . minivan. MINIVAN! Just, but, it's, ummm. . . minivan. :D

8. britx303

He wants it as a daily driver too..........MATRIX.......or the WRX :D

9. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Diesel dually...without a doubt Once you tow your 4x8 with it you will never go back to the Corolla!

Seriously though, older compact SUV's are cheap and would tow it fine I would think. I used to have a Suzuki Vitara..loved that thing. It had a v6. CRV's or Ford Escapes may would work as well. Or minivan

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn't they kill off the matrix like 7 years ago? as for a subaru, well, I guess he could be considered a lesbian if you stretch the definition. :D

R Acree likes this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Move.
    Move fast and when you leave throw flaming bags of dog shit at the HOA.

Then buy a mans tow vehicle. Something with a least a gas V8 and less than 22mpg...

:D

12. britx303

Yeah, but they are easily found with less than 100k miles. We got ours like that recently. Things like brand new like a granny had it. $3500 cash out the door at the yota dealer. We have our eyes on 2 more. We like these that much. I didn’t want the thing at all and my wife pitched a fit to get it or at least test it. I told the sales guy strap the fuck in because I’m going to drive like an ass to see how it does, and I expected to hate it. He didn’t believe me at first. He was a little trembly when we got back to the dealer:crackup:........told him draw up the papers ASAP. My opinion? It meets rk97’s criteria for haulability, daily driver, reliability, 5 seats, cheap and leaves more race budget. And yes.......I’ve had a few lesbians ask if I was a lesbian when I was still driving the Subaru. Of course the only answer was “Well, I do love p*$$y......”:D They thought it was funny

BigBird likes this.
  13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i need to leave the Odyssey at home with the wife. We have 5 kids. Even when all of us head to the track, we’ll likely take both vehicles to fit all our stuff...

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

So just get another disposable corolla.

cool. Manual models are even cheaper.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I saw someone at the GNF from Ohio many years ago towing his race bike with a Gold Wing.

Newyork likes this.
  16. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

well i used to tow with a 2014 Hyundai Elantra 4 dr with a 3 rail trailer with race bike and 150f for a pitbike.
    most it got was 20MPG.
    It was the wifes ride.
    the actual mounting tab broke where hitch mounts to car on one side heading to RA after a yr of racing.
    so keep an eye on that.
    paid cash for an 04 Tahoe and it gets 17 avg MPG running 80 and the wife and kids are way more compfortable and it will fit everything i take in it without making the kids cramped.
    it has over 300k on it so putting a good used motor and hanging a turbo on it so help pull the hills for next yr racing season.
    As my average travel time is 12hrs 1 way i figure the comfort level outweighs the mileage difference and the ride is way better.
    And i can fix anything on it if it breaks down.
    and if you shop around you can find them around 2500 for a decent one.
    Best of luck.

Steven

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Corollas are by far the most popular car in my area. Everyone used to have a civic parked somewhere that they'd drive into DC, Tysons or where ever. Now, almost everyone has a Corolla.

I can walk out my front door right now and count at least 8. After 6 PM, that might double.

There has to be something that 'yota did right. New, clapped out like an SV or in somewhere in between, they seem to run forever and people buy 'em and drive 'em.

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've got a picture of that dude on my shop wall at home. I'm fairly certain he was pulling an RD.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I would love a copy if you can scan it. That was the awesomest, most dedicated thing I've ever seen. That's been at least 30 years ago.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

so two minivans even make more sense:) and maybe a vasectomy...but that's another thread :D

TurboBlew and R Acree like this.