1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small displacement dually question ...

Discussion in 'General' started by Raceless man, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone, I just sold my 600 and am wanting a Klx300sm for many reasons.
    1. My 750 can become hybrid track/street. Boom
    2. The Klx can do street and trail and modest dirty work. Boom
    3. New bikes are awesome. Boom
    4. Its not too expensive. Boom
    5. Wife says she is down for piloting it on trails where its much safer. Boom
    6. Fuel injected. Boom

7. Its a Kawasaki. Crickets

Anyone own one and care to share your analysis ?
    Thank you

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

From the thread title, I thought this was another repetitive thread about over priced pick-ups :rolleyes:

R Acree and RRP like this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Jeez..for a second I thought Ford was putting the Eco Boost in the F350.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I was picturing the old Toyota box trucks myself.

Knotcher and RRP like this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I like the concept but the execution seems to be lacking... I'd prefer a 300 Versys or a CRF300L

pjdoran likes this.
  6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My first thought was the mid 90's GM dually's that only had a 350 in them.

RRP likes this.
  7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I thought this was about old Nissan hardbody dually.

damnit now I want one of those.

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yup I was really thinking they made the 2.7 turbo 4 cylinder available in the GM dually's. Crisis averted.
    With 4.10's in them they did pretty good.

As for the kawi, yeah they suck. But if you want one, get one.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

KTM690 Enduro R

10. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Looks like the Klx is a unicorn around here.

11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I have not found the bike I'm looking for, in this category yet, either. Don't want a KTM, and a CRF450L is a bit too fragile for extended travel. Everything else is too heavy for me to enjoy off of pavement. KLR and XR650L seem to be the best available, but still kind of heavy and old-school tech.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yamaha TW200. A bike everyone should have, just cuz.

13. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Once a Wanker.., post: 5883376, member: Don't want a KTM[/QUOTE]

Just curious, why not? I have a 350 EXC-F and love it on and off-road.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

14. Once a Wanker..

I found and bought a nice, clean low mileage 450 EXC-F for a friend in VA who couldn't find a used one. Titled and insured it in my name to ride it for a month or more, until he could come get it.
    It was an incredible bike, in every way! And the 350EXC-F would definitely be more of a bike I might one day consider for a dirt-focused street bike. Just not what I am looking for, right now.

Many friends who ride and race them, so I've ridden several other models, along with a couple adventure bikes at a KTM Demo street ride a few years ago nearby. Grew up working in Japanese manufacturer dealerships and worked for Yamaha for several years.

KTM's are great bikes, for sure. I just prefer to work on and ride Japanese engineered stuff.

I recently bought a Yamaha T7, and I'll enjoy it as a street bike that I may occasionally take on a fire-road, but it also isn't what I want in a smaller dual sport bike.

15. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

I just sold my 2007 KLX250 as it was grossly under powered. Sure it was fine to ride to the local corner store and hit some little trails in my area of backwoods but it was lack luster at best and always left me wanting more.

I replaced it with a plated 2011 WR450F which has the power I want and the trail capabilities I need. The street aspect is meh' but it is a dirt bike so... Its geared a bit too short for street duty but I may cure this with a little sprocket changed. The 5 speed on it should still leave me enough low end grunt to work the trails without issues.

And, my wife can still rip it around just like she did the KLX.

16. Once a Wanker..

I'd love to have a modern Yamaha WR450 plated, but quite difficult to achieve in GA, currently. I'd happily pay for all of the necessary parts to do it 100% correctly. Yamaha's are less maintenance intensive than the CRF450X & L.

17. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Could you buy one that is already plated from another state and register it in GA?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

19. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

Ktm , the Kawi 250/300 are scooters with dirt bike frames . Gutless !

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  20. Once a Wanker..

I'm trying to confirm if this is possible, or not. Rumors suggest DMV computers will identify 'for off road use only' vehicles from the VIN, in some states. Haven't confirmed if GA is one of them yet, or not.

JBall likes this.