1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small batch plastic molding

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay so MyLaps is no longer making or having made the brackets for the oldest style of the TranX 260 - which is of course the style we have the most of in the rental fleet.

This means I need to find another source so thinking about just finding someone who can do smaller batches of stuff and have them made ourselves and sell them to others in the same situation.

Can't see it being viable for a 3d printer but could be wrong so that might be an option.

Ideas?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If I recall they are pretty simple. Radius on the back side with a slot for the tab and a boss on one end for the retaining pin. I can always CAD that up and make them out of Delrin or Aluminum. How many are you thinking?

BigBird likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think Scotty Rock was in the plastics world. Might want to give him a yell.

It’s been decades since I played a bit in that world and how fast it’s changed what I knew is pretty worthless now. :(

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I think you would be suprised at the affordability for having them 3D printed. There are quite a few job shops doing that kind of stuff now. I'll find the link to the jobbing site we sometimes shop stuff to when it is more than we want to print in-house. Molding it means getting a tool made, and then getting a bunch done. It is tough to make it work cost-wise unless you are doing thousands of parts typically.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The problem is when they were $5 each we didn't stress over losing them :crackup:

I am also considering getting enough for just the rentals and they'll be a part of the entire rental package along with charges for not returning them. I'll have to see how many of that style we need, probably 100 or so if I changed over to the package idea.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, they were $5 each. And if I could sell them to others in the same boat then thousands could be very doable. The guy at AMB said they have people asking for them weekly.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect thing for 3d printing

jksoft likes this.
  8. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

[​IMG]
    Is this what you need ?

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

For small batch plastics stuff, a silicone cut mold and a 2 part poured urethane resin is usually pretty cost effective. 3d printed is an option, But probably not usually the best one in this case. I wouldn't trust an expensive transponder to a 3d printed mount..... Ya, I know you COULD print a part that would be strong enough, you just couldn't do it cheaper than other methods, nor fast enough.

Machined is an option, but an expensive one.

It doesn't look like too difficult of a part to mold. Of course some small changes would be required to pour better (vs a part designed for injection), but functionally they would remain the same.

What is the existing price, or last price available for them. Anybody in the GTA Ontario have one I could get hands on?

5axis and Mud Whistle like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. That style they still sell. I'll get a pic of one when I get a chance. Instead of the bottom hooking into the transponder, the transponder hooks into the bracket at the bottom, then the top is the same. Also no need for the r-clip and restraint.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There's little to no stress on the mount so they don't need to be tough.

$5 each is what we've been paying but they've gone up now to 5.90

12. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

Hey Mongo,

I have a little experience in plastics. Typically, a huge part of the cost is in getting a mold made. Unless the mold failed/totally wore out, somewhere out there should be a mold sitting on a shelf. If you can find it (such that you would not have to get one made) you can probably get a large run of parts made comparatively cheaply.

I would recommend getting in touch with mylaps or amb to see if the mold is available somewhere. If you are lucky, the molding house that made the parts actually owned the mold, and then it would just be a matter of negotiating having a batch made. In some cases the designer actually owns the mold (mylaps/amb) which makes things somewhat more complicated.

Beyond that, it’ll quickly get expensive to have a large quantity (100+) made.

RichB likes this.
  13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Bummer that would have been easy to print in something like Ninjaflex

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

If you could have someone generate a CAD model then save it to STL the advantage would be just print as needed. I would bet many members have 3d printers. If I had one of the old style ones I would be happy to pick at it for the grand total of zero (good news). Bad news is I am in process of getting a new place up in TN so it would not be quick AND it would require some back and forth with you until you get happy with the model. Once you have that it could be WERA property and you could have them made by who ever and where ever.

Drop me a PM if you have any interest.

15. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'll take this a step further..

I was in the molding Industry for several years (battery cases to be specific). My guess is that AMB has those parts molded in China and then assembled somewhere else. Hopefully the mold is still in good shape and it could kick out a small batch.

If AMB owns the mold and has it stateside, I have someone in Georgia that's small enough to run it for you.

Riot likes this.
  16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

First step is getting a CAD file of the part. Nothing can really happen until then.

If you're really going for production numbers (50+), you can try this place to make a mold and do a production run. They do printing too. Carbon SLA would probably work.
    https://www.protolabs.com/services/injection-molding/

If you can get them for $6 vs $5, I don't think you're going to do much better though, considering the time that would be invested trying to remake them.

I made molds to make fuel tank mounts not long ago. Printed the molds and injected silicone. But I only did 4 molds at a time. Pretty time consuming. Took around 3 weeks to get the 40 or so parts all made after work hours. Urethane would be a bit faster in a silicone mold, and easier to make a bunch of molds. That's still a lot of investment in time, prep, materials, CAD, ect. Not gonna be a $5 part unless someone is super nice, or a small shop does a run of 100.

17. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Cast urethane from a silicone mold would be the route I'd go. A former co-worker of mine retired from being a machinist (40+ years) and now does small batch urethane casting for companies, including Alumilite (who makes the stuff). He can 3D print the master if you need him too also, really good guy. PM me if you want his info.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  18. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Back in the day, when sprint racing with transponders was new, someone on here was machining them out of aluminum. They weren't $5.00 though..

Maybe that CAD file still exists and you could get them made out of a cheaper material?

Scott McKee might remember who was making them.

19. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

What about these bags? The older and larger transponders we used to use on the race cars would go in the bag. Same concept, ziptie the bag to forks and drop in transponder.

upload_2022-3-15_12-5-23.png

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly I'd bet they all came out of Europe somewhere. The main company is based in the Netherlands.