1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLS Rocket "Hot Fire" Test This Afternoon

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

They will be firing the first stage of the new SLS rocket in a test stand at Stennis Space Center in Mississippi. It should be interesting. If you want to have a look, the live coverage starts at 4:20 eastern on NASA TV (if you have access to that channel on your cable), or you can see it at a number of locations on the internet.

YouTube, Space Flight Now and others...

Search for “SLS Hotfire Test Live” or something like that.

scottn likes this.
  2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Regardless of the expenses and everything of the program, I really want to see that thing fly.

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

NASA - this is the culmination of decades of design and research! A true triumph of humanity.

Elon Musk - hold my beer.

It's cool they are hot firing the thing finally but sheesh, SpaceX did 3 hot fires on the same motors in 4 hours, and then decided to swap a couple out. Then they'll launch it and if it explodes their attitude is "that was cool, let's fix that on the one under construction in the garage out back."

I love NASA but they need to get a little more flexible and just do it already.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Within an hour as of now!

6. IrocRob

5 minutes.....

7. IrocRob

1 minute......

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Didn't blow up so thats good.

YamahaRick likes this.
  9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

10. IrocRob

Yeah, that's a plus. :crackup:

One big-ass steam generator.

11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

At my old job, I made the ducting that carries the LOX iirc. Guess 4-5 years later they're still good. I didn't think they were actually going to work, and I never heard anything about them testing them. Guess it works after all.

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

We'll, the engines had an issue. You might be getting a phone call :D

Just kidding of course, that's really cool!

13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Sorry, they'll have to talk to the manager. Funny thing. I had to train someone how to make them, since no one else knew the full routine. Guy put in his 2 weeks about a month after I left.

It is pretty cool they held up. Rocket might even fly this decade. Wasn't really that cool dealing with it. Boss barely had a ged, so couldn't tell that the prints were bs. Making 10ft long curved ducts with 3 compound angled joints, assembled by hand, and the whole assembly was 3D scanned to within 0.060" of true position. Stressful is an appropriate word.

Insert typical rant of 'your taxes at work lining pockets' as well.

mpusch likes this.
  14. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

15. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Interesting, but lots of spin in that piece. Heavy use of the technique of stating a fact and then stating the "reason" for that fact which essentially is the opinion of the writer. So, when you read it, it "seems" like a factual article because it does indeed contain many factual statements.

Not to say there aren't plenty of problems in the program (as many political as technical), just that some of the "reasons" stated are not accurate. And that is definitely *my* opinion, but at least I'm clarifying that up front.

This will likely turn out not to be a huge problem and then the decision will be if they should spend the time to do another hot fire or not before shipping the rocket out to KSC. They also have the option of doing another hot fire on the pad, as they did with the space shuttle main engines originally.

16. sdg

sdg *

That's pretty pathetic.

What's the matter, they lose all the documentation on the Saturn 5?

17. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe