1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slipper Clutch Stack Height Measurement

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Monsterdood, May 31, 2017.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

It's been 5 years since I touched my Yoyodyne slipper in my Kawasaki 650R and I can't find any paperwork on it and Yoyodyne didn't return my email on the subject. I found a dead link using the search function.

Can someone refresh my memory on measuring the stack height? I believe I measure the depth of one or more of the holes on the face of the clutch and then it gets a bit fuzzy. Do I pull out all the friction discs and plates, reinstall the basket cover (leaving off the springs?) and remeasure through the same hole(s)? Then take the difference between those two numbers as the stack height? I have my old measurements, I just don't recall how I measured them both. All I know is I get a lot more engine braking on corner entry than I used to get and most searching just says to measure and adjust stack height.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, yeah, you take the stack out, put the plate on with a couple springs lightly installed to press the plate onto the hub. Use one of the holes to measure the depth from the face of the pressure plate to the top of the hub.

Re-install the stack and springs, same measurement, which should now be larger. Subtract the first from the second to get your magic number which on my YoYo is supposed to be ideally just over 1mm.

3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Thanks! I recall the target was 1-1.5mm depending on slip preference. I'll measure the current stack to get an idea of what is not good and then put new frictions in to get back to my old measurement which was just at 1mm.