1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siphon/Transfer Pump

Discussion in 'General' started by zieper41, May 7, 2019.

1. zieper41

zieper41 Well-Known Member

Which transfer pumps are being used to drain gas tanks? Was thinking about investing in an electric one. Any recommendations?

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Are you going to be doing it often? I bought a fairly cheap one last year from autozone because I only needed it once. If it's something you will be using every time you're at the track I'd spend some money on a quality pump. Check Summit Racing.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

4. zieper41

Going to use it multiple times a weekend at the track so rather find something reliable. Was just curious what everybody else is using

5. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

6. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I built one for about 15 bucks. I used a generic fuel pump, 6 feet of fuel hose, in-line fuel filter, a battery tender type line with connector and a foot of metal brake line all ordered off of amazon. I can run the pump off my z125 battery tender plug or my jump box with a cigarette plug adapter. Whole set up fits in a small ammo box I got at harbor freight on sale for 5 bucks. I can get 99 percent of the fuel out of my gas tank no problem.

7. Same set up I use, including the HF box with the exception I have access to a lot of fuel pumps based on what I do for a living :). I use a pump that is meant for export / desert markets. They are damn near bullet proof and won’t burn up as quick from running dry. I use ones spec’d for v8’s as they flow more but don’t have as much pressure. Just make sure you know where the lowest spot in your tank is, you’ll thank us all later. Also be careful if you have foam in the tank. If you do I’d go the route of draining via the fuel line from the tank, you don’t want to be jamming a hose down through foam as it will clog your fuel filter sooner rather than later. You can easily make something up with a t fitting and a quick connect cap for this.

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

9. TurboBlew

or...just install a petcock on the lowest portion of the tank.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Rattle Siphon FTW.... use mine all the time.. good for getting the water out of Jetskis too..

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

12. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I used the HF special joint to drain mine...think it was $8.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Fuel injected bike? If so, we used the pump in the tank to get the job done. We had a harness lead for the pump and tubing for spigot that went into a clear VP can.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  14. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I don’t think adding basically a hole in your pressurized fuel system is the best/ safest thing... dumping oxygenated fuel onto a hot engine doesn’t work out well....

15. TurboBlew

at the lowest point of the tank? The tsnk isnt pressurized just everything after the pump is. Putting a petcock in allows for passive draining vs a traditional siphon.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

This is what I was going to suggest. Ensures the most amount of fuel gets removed and does so rather quickly. I would think it rather easy to wire up a separate switch to provide 12v power to the pump when the ignition isn't on. From there use a high-quality T or Y-valve to route a separate line away from the tank to a spot easier to drain from, preferable away from heat sources.

17. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

We used a quick release pin for the tank and had it off and on a small stand in a minute or so. Then used a 12v battery tied to a fuel pump connector so we could power the pump when it was on the stand. Had a spare fuel line connector also plugged on the pump when it was on the stand.

Quick release tank pin was key to making it an easy process.

[​IMG]

Picture of the tank on the stand.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  18. zieper41

Liking the ideas. But I'd much prefer to get an electric pump that I can stick into the tank rather than having to remove the tank each time. The hand pump ones keep breaking. Few good ideas on building them here

JBowen33 likes this.
  19. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I put one together using a cheap inline fuel pump for a car, basic rocker switch and old MC battery. Takes a few minutes for a 5 gallon transfer but it was $20 or less.

Used heat shrink and zip ties to hold pump to battery and switch.