1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single Stage Snow Blower Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Sleeping Psycho, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Sleeping Psycho

Sleeping Psycho Well-Known Member

For single stage snow blowers, anyone familiar with the performance characteristics and differences between the 2 cycle and 4 cycle models? Which would you recommend and why.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

3. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I almost posted that pic

4. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I just purchased a Toro 4 cycle single stage snow blower, 163cc. I think it is the biggest single stage they sell. I should have done it years ago. I am in NY on Long Island and we just got about 18 inches of snow with drifts of 2 to 3 feet. The machine worked great. If the drift was a bit big to push into I just used a shovel to knock it down and the machine did the rest.
    I picked the Toro because of the very good experiences I have had with their mowers. I picked a 4 stroke to make the gas fill ups easier from my point of view. Toro generally does not discount much but I thought it was worth it. When I was researching I looked at single and dual stage, 2 and 4 cycle, name brands and off brands. Went with a top of the line name for peace of mind, 4 cycle for ease of use, single stage for size and storage issues as well as the ability to clean down to the asphalt on my driveway.

5. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

6. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

Toro 3650(I think) 6hp 2stroke.
    20" path. Goes though everything!!!!

7. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Toro all the way.

8. camp170

camp170 Well-Known Member

I have a Toro CCR-2450 2-stroke, works great up to about 8-10", starts easy and burns my left over VP c12 A747 premix. My only complaint is that I smell like pre-mix exhaust after using but I think I use more oil 25:1 then what is called for by Toro.

9. motox

motox 164

this is youre best option. Stay away from the 4cycle toros unless they are using the OHV Briggs & Stratton. The single-stage 4cycle Toros use a CHEAP chinese clone of a honda ohv engine. if they end up needing service, your bill will be 2x as much. The two-stage toros all use the B&S iirc, and are the best blowers i've ever used/repaired

toro/john deere/ariens. everything else (mtd, yard marchines, troy-bilt, craftsman) is junk.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  10. TheGrouch

TheGrouch Well-Known Member

+1. Toro 2450 2T here as well. Starts with 3 pulls after a summer in the barn and 1 pull after that.

This is one of those things like race tires, Brembo MC, slipper clutches, hookers and blow where 6 months from now you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

BTW, the recommended ratio is 50:1.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  11. mowershop

mowershop Well-Known Member

In the past we sold toro.Take notice to in the past(I dropped them). This year I have a beast of a single stage made by husqvarna branded as a mccullah .I do not like the brand name but it out performs every single stage I have seen in 20 years in the power equipment industry.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Man, it sure is nice I don't need to know anything about snow blowers.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Why mess with a single stage? There are usually a boatload of 2-stage units on craigslist for the same money.

14. froggert

froggert Well-Known Member

i got a single stage because it's lighter and more maneuverable, so the wife can use it. :D

15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Because a big dual stage thrower won't fit in a 20x30 garage with 3 cars and two motorcycles.

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Toro with electric start.

17. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I've had several Toro 2 strokes. The most I've ever given for one is $20. Nicest one I've ever had I swooped off the curb.

The key is to tweak the governer. They're about right when they get to sounding scary and kinda jump up and down if you aren't hanging on. Never had one blow up.

The newer ones have rubber augers. They'll throw snow farther stock than my tweaked ones with paddles.