1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Significant others and racing

Discussion in 'General' started by JeffroJ, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

My soon to be wife had to bring up last night the subject that if I get a TBI from racing she's not taking care of me. We've been together 2 years, I've been racing since before she ever met me, and just now this comes up? :confused: It was something like, "blah, blah, blah, if you get injured from doing something stupid, like wrecking at 100mph, you can go live with your parents, I'm not taking care of you! Blah, blah, blah, you have no idea what it entails to take care of someone with a TBI, I'd pretty much have to quit my job and stay home to take care of you. You're not thinking about me or your family. Blah"

I'm not really sure how to feel about this. I completely understand that my choice to race could totally change her life, without a choice, if something happens to me.

She's a PT that works with brain injuries, which is kind of ironic since I race, lol. She says that if she gets a TBI so bad that she could not function without help, that I should move on, but I'm the "for better or worse" kind and would never do that no matter the situation. So, how do you guys handle these conversations with your significant others when the subject comes up about racing? Should I just accept that if I get that messed up, that she's not going to be there for me? :(

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

pics would help.....

3. joec

joec brace yourself

jeffro's not that good looking.

4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

ahhhh 21st century American love... isn't it so special and heart warming?

5. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Til death do us part.

If you cant make that commitment...don't.

6. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Wow, thats nuts dude, especially since my wife is also a PT and we discussed this several times. We are both til death do us part kind of people so maybe she just isn't, but well, those kinds of comments would probably make me rethink marriage. Did you not have that convo before getting hitched?

We had covered it when we were dating(3yrs before marriage), and both knew what we were getting ourselves into. She's worked with several bike injuries, non from racing(legally), and hates the thought, but has said she would spend any amount of $$ for an airbag suit, the best helmet possible, etc. I said okay sweet, when they are available I am in.

But yeah dude, you may need to sit down and really discuss this, the death do us part stuff doesn't work if there isn't true love to begin.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You need a new chick. Sorry.

8. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Was in your situation once. The relationship had some other lingering issues, and that broke the camel's back. Luckily, we broke up and I met my wife, who is one of my biggest supporters.

9. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Would it matter if you had a brain aneurysm walking to the mail box and was stuck in a chair the rest of your life.

Or just cause it was a motorcycle accident?

10. JeffroJ

:crackup:

She's fine with me racing, even enjoys coming to the races. Whatever popped in her head lately, I have no idea. I guess what she sees everyday, makes her worry about me even more. She keeps saying that she wishes that I could come in to see what she has to see everyday, and that I need to acknowledge what effects my choices could have on others.

11. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I don't think that I would marry her. Sorry dude

12. JeffroJ

She would be there to take care of me no matter the situation, just as long as it wasn't something stupid, like racing. :confused:

She has no problem with motorcycles, she loves to ride too, just the racing part.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Time to move on and find a woman who is as excited about you racing as you are.

14. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Have the discussion and see how much $ in insurance and savings it would take to cover that sort of injury for a reasonable time period.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ask if it's ok for you not to take care of her if she manages to end up in the same position via a car wreck on the way to work?

For better or worse...the better part is easy.

16. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What if (god for bid) shes in a car wreck and she gets a TBI can you send her to her parents? I think you might wanna discount double check marring this women!

17. JeffroJ

She has always been excited for me racing, that's what I love about her. She just wants me to be safe about it.

18. JeffroJ

Because of what she sees everyday, and what the significant other has to go through, (In the worst case scenario, not a minor TBI) she says that she would want me to move on, which I don't get. :confused:

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

50% of OEMs agree with you! (original equipment marriages) :D

20. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

I would just make a compromise. She wouldn't have to quit her job. She could just move you to work and take care of you with all the other brain injured folks. Then she'd be free in the evenings to relax at home or bang someone else :D