1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoulder Replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by 83BSA, Sep 2, 2019.

1. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

My left shoulder will be getting replaced when I'm closer to retirement. Thanks for the info, curious to hear how the recovery goes.

Photo likes this.
  2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Emory.

Dr. Michael Gottschalk.

Will report further . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Update:

Surgery is not tomorrow. It has been rescheduled to Nov. 19 due to insurance issues. Thank you Obama-care, ACA, and the general state of disarray in the healthcare industry (that is a Dungeon topic into which I will not devolve).

In any event, I'm still sorting thru getting insurance coverage for this, obtaining a pre-existing condition policy, paying the exorbitant premium, and dotting the i's and crossing the t's . . . .

What the delay has shown me is that I do not want to continue with the pain and inability that my shoulder has resulted in. I'm making this happen, one way or another. And, God help the weasel-dick MF'er that gets in my way.

Cheers,

Dave

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Well it is done. Surgery was Tuesday, home yesterday.

Good surgery. Emory team was awesome. Very professional, happy, efficient . . . a joy to be around.

Doc said shoulder was way messed up inside. Ball misaligned 72/18 degrees from socket and being pushed out the back. The ball had all sorts of bone spurs growing on it. The joint was full of arthritis. He said no question it needed to be done - should have been sooner.

He shaved the joint to realign the new chromium/cobalt ball, and lined the joint with plastic and 2 part epoxy, Said I had big bone and big rotator cuff muscle - surprised at what it took to open it up. Hopefully that bodes better for recovery. Of course, he is probably used to 70 year old guys - not fit motorcycle racers who played rugby, ride bicycles distance for fitness, etc. Anyway, that answered the question of whether I was better off working out as able: YES.

Yesterday and last night was pain free due to nerve block for surgery. When it wore off Wed. AM, pain was 7/10 and increasing so I took an oxy. Laid down when I got home. Woke up at 1:45 pm in pain:8/10. Took an oxy. I think sitting up is better than laying down. Pressure on joint even tho supported laying down. First post-op visit in 2 weeks. No lateral movement - only up/down with forearm with elbow tucked at side.

One handed is somewhat tough, but at least it is not my dominent side (right). I had been taking mega-anti-inflammatories for 2 months, and I got to thinking it wasn't that bad. I stopped them 6 days in advance of surgery (blood thin concerns), and at the end, there was no doubt I was having the surgery. Rehab will be long and arduous, but I am promised 90-95% range of motion, plus strength without pain. I'll take it.

Doc sez no motorcycle for 6 months, but he doesn't understand. I'll see where I'm at in 3+ months. Too early to tell anything. I cannot imagine 2 shoulders simultaneously: shoot me. Lemme see where I'm at in 4 - 5 days.

Temperature was 101.2 last night. Not surprising as the body was shocked, but uncomfortable. Last oxy was 2 AM. Long hot shower this AM was wonderful. Ice helps. No pain meds yet today - I want to see how long I can do without. Getting comfortable in bed is problematic - varying angles and support for the left arm.

Like a good alky - one day at a time.

Cheers,

Dave

t11ravis likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Heal fast!!!

6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Like any surgery you're at the worst part now and it will only get better. Heal up quick!

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Glad it went well for ya. Heal up.

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Yep, you're right - it can only get better.

Cheers,

Dave

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

6 months...do what your Dr. says..as hard as that may be. It will be worth it in the long run. Get over anxious and ignore his or her restrictions, and you may suffer a setback that puts you out longer than six months.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

wishing you a good healing process

get some CBD oil ;)

11. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Glad it went well Dave!

Maybe you should listen to the doc.....just a thought....???? But then again, its your shoulder and you're a lawyer, so you be the judge:)..... Man, I'm killin it today.

Heal up buddy.:beer:

12. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Try a recliner for resting/sleeping. When I had ribs/shoulder/collarbone issues, it was the best for me. And if you’re taking painkillers, take laxatives...

13. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, glad to hear you're doing well after the surgery. So if it was the left shoulder then your right arm, AKA, the Martini shaker should still be good. So showing up at any event before you're cleared to ride would be a value add to those of us racing. So don't be selfish and only think of yourself. LOL Call me if you need anything

Eboz

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Ha! Yes, I can still mix and shake and pour. Thanks for the offer. Just figuring out a new use for ice . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Pour some 'Tussin on it and suit up for second call....pansy.

:D

Also if you have a beer with the oxy it works better....or you die. Either way the pain goes away so its a win win situation.
    :D

16. sandboxshooter

sandboxshooter Well-Known Member

What are your restrictions after you’re back to good? Weight restrictions, etc? Had 2 surgeries on both shoulders and replacement is probably in my future. They wanted to do elbow replacement but said a 10 lb restriction.... F that until I’m like 80 or something.

17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Good luck Dave. Hope you heal up well.