1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should there be a law against this?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by weber#465, Dec 19, 2008.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think if you will check the statistics, the most congested cities and highest birth rates are not in the US. I scaned the census data this morning and the AVERAGE family size (traditional married couple with kids) in the US is below 4. Just to make sure you understand the math, that is less than replacement.

2. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

I have seen that, and that is a good thing, but is also a report on the people who are here legally and reported accurately. We also have over 13% living in poverty.

We (the US) have a growth rate larger than was reported in the Baby Boomer generation. We see what a wave that is creating.
    1990 – 2000 ~ 33,000,000 growth.
    2000 – 2007 ~ 17,000,000 growth
    Just to make sure you understand the math, something doesn’t add up. We are still growing.:D

The reason we see less than 4 per family might be…
    “The term "household" as used in this section of the report refers to the people occupying a housing unit, rather than the physical structure in which they live.
    The number of single parents went from 3.8 million in 1970 to 6.9 million in 1980, increasing at an average rate of 6.0 percent per year. By 1990, there were 9.7 million single parents, but the average rate of increase during the 1980's was a more moderate 3.4 percent per year. There were an estimated 11.4 million single parents in 1994, and their number has been increasing by an average of 3.9 percent per year since 1990, a rate not significantly different from that for the 1980's.”

http://www.census.gov/population/www/pop-profile/hhfam.html

Back to the subject of this family. What about the med insurance and dental insurance? His co-insured are being affected.
    Are they going to have to rely on several others to get all 18 of the little #%*@ to soccer practice, plays, etc… At a minimum they’ll need a bus.
    TV is making them out as heroes or this to be a good move. Still didn’t hear what is good about it.
    They want to help that many kids, there are many children needing to be adopted.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Stop immigration.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If the dude is paying the premiums, why is it your business? The insurance company doesn't have to insure him and a lower average age actually helps the demographic for premiums.

If they use a bus, they are getting more passenger miles per gallon of fuel than you would on a scooter.

If adoption were made easier, maybe they would have.

5. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

Aren't maybes smaller than mites?

6. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

P(t) = 6.1(1.014)^t gets it close for this time period ~ the year 2000 +

This is what it has been.
    1900 1650
    1970 3700
    2000 6070
    At this rate it the world population doubled in ~ 70 years. Then doubled in ~ 30 years. At this rate it will be 15 years. Then ~ 7.5 years….That's not too far down the road.
    ..........................................................................................................................
    Are you sure you don't work for our government's economic advisory council? That is the simplest formula for something so complicated I've ever seen.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  7. Lvninja

Lvninja Well-Known Member

You should never have more children then what one parent could support. If the father fell ill or died could the mother support all the children?

8. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Have you looked at Social Security disability lately? Friend of mine died and his wife admitted to me later that she was bringing in more without him since she no longer had him supporting his hobbies.

9. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

It isn't. Just because this family is different is no reason to assume the parents can't manage their kids. Anyway, social services will step in if they can't.

I am guessing weber had one or two older siblings, who tormented him mercilessly and made his childhood a living hell. The mere thought of 18 probably is enough to trigger panic attacks.

Weber? :D

10. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

That's not really true. Good spin........but not really true.

If he was part of a company policy usually it's W for covering yourself. XY for you and spouse, XYZ for family with one kid and then slightly more for family with 2 or more kids.

At that point he would be paying into the insurance the same as the guy with 2 kids.......and he certainly would be using a whole lot more.

11. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

It is a simple model using the information from the year 2000’s population and growth rate. In 2000 it was 6,100,000,000+/- a few, and a growth rate of 1.4% for that year, which gives us the population as a function of time.
    Since the rate changes every year the numbers don’t come out exact, but hits it close enough.

That’s one of the main points. My insurance premium is influenced by the number of claims.

Now this litter will have how many offspring?
    A normal family of two kids who grow up and has two kids each only makes 4.
    Not this family.

This family might be good people but, they could have adopted children who need and deserve good parents.

12. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

You really think an insurance co. is going to get hosed rather than change a few words on a policy before it offers it to a family that is 10x bigger than average?

13. Brian675

Brian675 By the beard of Zues

Exactly. If they aren't asking or looking for any social services good. I guess they just don't like condoms is all.;)

14. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

hey... my daddy marred his sister but it didnt 'fect me none.

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

\

You are dead wrong about that part. The children in large families nurture one another. I know many people from families of 10 oir more siblings. They are all stable, healthy families with lots of respect for one another, lots of caring for others, and empathy for the difficulties faced by those less well-off. On the other hand, I know many "only children" who are miserable pricks that should be wiped off the face of the planet.

My mother is the youngest of fourteen children, ten of whom were girls. She describes her childhood as having ten mothers.

16. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

You’re right. I don’t know why I said the siblings couldn’t be as nurturing. How many loads of laundry are these children going to have to do each day?

Okee dokee :crackup: If that is how you feel.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

These people want even more children and are said to be letting God decide how many they have.:rolleyes:

17. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Congratulations Mook! They finally tied the knot, huh? Maybe he'll quit calling you the little bastad.:moon:

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Did anyone notice that all their names started with 'J' ? That's just weird right there. Congrats on their new one. I am glad that we live in a place that we have a choice to have 18 kids or none if we want and are not pressured from outside sources to put a lock on how many we can have. That's called a dictatorship, isn't it? Who want to live like that?

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the health of the kids. One child with lukemia changes the balacne drastically. In short, neither you or I know enough to make the determination. If he is on a group policy, you may be right. If he is buying himself or has catastrophic with a savings plan maybe not. Bottom line, that is between him and his insurer and not our decision.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And the demographics of the insured.

And odds are that a couple will be gay and not reproduce. Normal family used to be 2.5 kids. Where did you get your figures?

Again, that process can cost upwards of $30k per child. Make the proce3ss easier and more people will do it.