1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I pay off my house or invest?

Discussion in 'General' started by bipper22, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bipper22

bipper22 Well-Known Member

I sold some rentals last year and have enough to pay off the duplex I live in. I would make 600 a month with the rent. That would cover almost all of my bills for that month. this is the only debt I have left to pay off. Is there a tax benefit to paying on a mortgage? any thoughts???

2. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

you can deduct the interest, but you pay more than you get back

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Tough call. Would you make in the investments than you you'd save in interest? Best question of all is, could you survive if your investments were 100% wiped out?

My gut is you should pay off the house but my penis says you should blow it all Sheen style on hookers and blow.

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Pay off the house.

Being 100% debt free is a catapult to wealth and absolute self sufficiency.

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I'd pay off the duplex.

6. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

You need a good financial advisor. Tell him what your options are as you see them and ask him for advice and to help do the numbers. If he is any good, he will know and understand the tax ramifications of every possibility.

If he starts trying to sell you on a particular investment, like "you need to buy XXX stock, " run like the wind. If he asks you all kinds of questions about who you are, how you earn and spend money, and what your goals are, then keep him.

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Kinda depends on how much the payoff on the duplex is.

8. HBS Racing

HBS Racing Well-Known Member

pay that shit off. Its crazy when you look at the details of say a 30 yr fixed rate mortgage on like a 220,000 loan for example.

you end up paying like $750,000 total with interest over the course.

9. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

"For Me"

Pay the House, no brainer

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Mutually exclusive terms.

11. bo1142

bo1142 Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I'd pay off the house in a heart beat.

12. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Pay it off.

13. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

yes, there is (you can deduct the mortgage interest).

does it make sense to keep paying the mortgage vs paying it off? depends on whether you "need" the deduction or not.

as others have said, talk to a (good) financial advisor.

14. froggert

froggert Well-Known Member

depends on several factors, such as the interest rate on the mortgage, how far into it you are, your tax rate, expected rate of return on investment, etc.

15. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

No, endangered species.:up:

16. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I was just at the bank yesterday, we have 2 more payments and the house is OURS!!! :clap:

The burden will be lifted, and I still won't be allowed to spend $$$$ on my toys.... :( :p

17. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

If the duplex isnt upside down on the value i would pay it off. If you paid lets say 200k for it and now its only worth 150k it wouldnt make sense to pay it off at this moment until the mortgage goes back up in value.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Interesting to see all the calls for paying it off here. I brought up this same subject about 6 or 7 years ago (well before the markets crashed) on another forum and the response was overwhelmingly INVEST.

I didn't listen, and instead paid off the house.

Best. Decision. Ever.

19. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Fund a race team you wimp.

:D

20. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I'm so looking forward to the day I am mortgage free. Theres nothing like being in control of your own finances and the flexibility and peace of mind not having that burden hanging over you is awesome. Pay it off!
    Cheers, Lee S.